Samsung SM-P200/P205 (Tab A with S-Pen, 2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Cuberdon75, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hope you dont mean this one, which is an upcoming 8 incher but with lower specs and no pen...
    https://liliputing.com/2019/06/sams...-2019-budget-tablet-is-coming-soon-leaks.html

lafester likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not 100% sure, but I don't think so. It's been strongly implied (but not right out stated) that both this and the Tab 5 (not the SE but the real Tab 5) will be "top end devices"

I haven't seen anything specific other than a story on GSM Arena which showed a couple of FCC compliance filings.

I'll share whatever I know as soon as I know/can.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wow. This really sounds interesting. Hopefully, it'll have an OLED display as well. I'm sure it'll cost more than the Tab A, but if it has a siloed S-Pen, I'm interested.

Since it looks like Mr. Trump just cancelled my fall trip to Cuba, I might have a bit more capital to spend on equipment than I anticipated.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm....it’s the Active part that scares me. That usually commands a price premium with it. Half of the 2019 8-incher’s allure is its affordability. Even with higher specs.....a $600+ price tag would sink a new Tab A 8-incher.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. desertlap

Well, you may have hit the dilemma. From what I've been told, in the US specifically, the inexpensive 8 inch models that are sold through the carriers as a low cost tablet are the only ones that sell in that form factor.

In Asia and the middle east, they sell much better in general. I do know that the active specifically is a government favorite for big purchases and in many cases performance matters. Whereas the lower end models are what sell to business and consumers. e.g the tab a 8 is the best selling device for e-commerce in Veitnam

How that translates to what they bring to the US is harder to figure out. I suspect that Samsung saw the HUGE success of the new iPad Mini and may have decided "we can get some of that market".

Price point will be key though. If they can match the minis price point, with an OLED screen and include the pen, they might have a shot. If they come in higher it's not going to sell.

My $.02 anyway. And I do share these types of thoughts as well as the feedback you folks provide in these forums with our Samsung rep. Not sure she always listens but sometimes she does :)

darkmagistric and nnthemperor like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Even if the Active TAB A with S-Pen can hit $400.....it would have another problem. As much as the extra shock & water proofing could be useful...the extra protection would increase its overall size and weight.....which for a portable 8-inch tablet would be a major drawback....especially if your comparing it to the super thin and sleek iPad mini 5. Even as is, the added thickness of the 2019 Tab A....compared to the IPad Mini and even the 2015 Tab A has been somewhat of a concern for some of us. I know Samsung can’t command the 3rd party accessory market like Apple can....but a “Active Case” paired with a normal sized tablet would be the way to go.....for the US market anyway.

desertlap likes this.
  7. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Google had the formula down with the nexus line but of course had to ruin everything by going to pixel to soon. The tab a is close enough to do well if promoted and not just left to sell on its own.

If we were up to a 5th gen nexus tablet by now they would have a significant market share, and then maybe high end android tablet would make sense.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

8. desertlap

Agreed on the weight size concern.

Awhile back I asked Samsung about why they didn't' go the route of a ruggedized case for something like a 8 inch Tab S3 combo.

Their response was that it due to several factors including cost but also surprisingly the ruggedness/waterproof types of certifications something like the active has. Apparently hands down the single biggest failure point in those types of options is user error. i.e the user doesn't fully close the case for instance and water gets in.

Additionally as perspective on this, they pointed out that these types of devices are given to workers as tools and thus they don't get the highest level of care and thoughtfulness in use. In other words, because I personally paid $400 for this thing I'm going to be pretty careful that I enclose it properly in the case before I bring it around water where as a worker is more of the attitude of it breaks during the use of it on the job, the company needs to give me another one.

I've seen that in the Philippines for instance where they take actives and just toss them in the back seat or on the floor of the work truck.

Tams and darkmagistric like this.
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

The enterprise part really is what drives what these devices end up like. The specs just need to be 'good enough' for the job (and compromises, such as the type of display can be made if there is a big enough benefit). Cost doesn't really matter. Companies buy devices en-mass (and probably for a discount with a support contract); so the individual unit price isn't of concern to them. The devices while needed in number, are also likely not made on as large a scale as consumer devices, so the price is higher.

The thing is, many such devices have lots of features that appeal to many on these forums. It's just we have to take the devices as a whole, often with the main hit being the price. And there's even less we can do about what we don't like than consumer devices. They do offer much of what we want though, and unlike consumer devices, the companies are far less likely to drop the format because there's not enough profit in it.

10. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.