Samsung SM-P200/P205 (Tab A with S-Pen, 2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Cuberdon75, Feb 26, 2019.

1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can you give us the link ?

2. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Lazada has it back in stock, but I don't see any way to enter a us address.
    Too bad since they have the best price and actually have a confirmed order delivered.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, that's a bummer! I had to use a friend's sister's address in the Philippines.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I wish there was a better option than "like" for posts this good. I vote: Love! Don't know whether to laugh or cry!:p:(

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I find this to be a compelling reason to look hard at the P205 (see also below)

One can also look to XDA for potentially non-root options to upgrade. I've done so successfully for countless Samsung devices over the past 5+ years.

My use case is very similar to @ronr9286t 's. Given that the Mini 5 w/LTE and pen prices out at $779 (vs. $460 for the P205 on eBay, +$39 for needed Square Trade protection), is there any major reason I'm missing for spending double (+ $400!) on the Mini, as cool and fast as it may be - for apps I don't use?

EDIT: My error - you can buy the IPM5 w/LTE and 64GB storage for $529, $629 with the Pencil. There is still a case on either side, but $160 difference in price when the iPad Mini is far more powerful, has a better screen, is a US domestic product (issue only for those who live in the US), and has access to the App Store (not a plus for me, but is for many), thus it is a closer call than it appeared when the comparison was $779 vs $460. Btw, how 'bout that $250 to upgrade from 64GB storage (Mini) vs. 256GB?!! Especially when you can't expand via SD card. I don't know, but how does Apple, how do its customers, rationalize such an obscene ransom, for the significant portion of the market that truly needs more than 64GB storage? It's just staring you in the face:

1) No one doubts that Apple makes a nice profit margin on the 64GB mini - with or without LTE.
    2) Anyone with any knowledge of the cost of storage knows that the retail price difference between a 64GB SD card and a 256GB card is about $30, not $250 - that's a 8X gouge.
    3) While many/most hardware device mfrs charge unconscionable "tariffs" (see what I did there? :cool:) to upgrade RAM and storage in their devices, but here we're talking the cheapest form of memory/storage in the market: "eMMC," used in the cheapest tablets, chromebooks, etc.

Shouldn't some be very embarrassed and others be very angry? Just askin.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    nnthemperor likes this.
  7. nnthemperor

Well, we all have got our specific needs, but I'm glad I hesitated on the IPM 5 long enough to find out about the Tab A plus (another reason I love this forum). The one decisive point for me was annotation in Xodo PDF. On my work-issued IPM 2 (or is it 3), I couldn't open and save annotated files directly from OneDrive and that app on Android behaved exactly like it's Windows 10 counterpart. Inking, panning and saving were all automatic unlike in iOS.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  8. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh! Good to know

I am pmuch a Xodo addict. Wonder how they make money - their free app basically does everything I want though I imagine there could be some cool features to add (for more document creation stuff , pdf form filling etc)

So the ipad mini 5 Xodo omits alot of buttons and stuff?

Or is it just a onedrive thing? I vaguely recall on an ipad seeing that dropbox compatibility was available for an app but not google drive

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought about it a bit more but I think it may just be so they don't have to do as much work to have more ports (and can just stick to having one port) to keep costs down

Or he might just have been thinking this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All jokes aside, I still think Microsoft got the magnetic keyboard + kickstand + magnetic pen design choices spot on

I wonder if Apple wouldn't want to copy it so Apple can retain its uniqueness as a tablet focused on lightness/speed/experience as a tablet. But it is good with apple pencil 2 that they concede that yes, magnetic pen is clearly the way forward even in the ipad line.

Magnetic keyboard/kickstand I'm not sure is the way forward for ipads since they are focused on being light. Maybe there will be some good third party Surface style magnetic keyboards + truly adjustable kickstands.

10. nnthemperor

Didn't know there's a paid version for Xodo PDF. To be sure, there's the option to access could drives in the iOS version, but it wouldn't open file unless I saved it to the device first. I might have been my old and slow IPM. Also, like I said when reading you need to keep switching from panning to inking using the menu button, cumbersome if you're on a limited size screen.