Samsung series 7 slate XE7001TA

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by GR8GUY, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GR8GUY

GR8GUY Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone possibly advise how SAMSUNG SERIES 7 SLATE XE7001TA compares to more modern models around at moment ? Ive been offered a used one which is has i5 processor running windows 10. Im not sure how dated it would be in comparison to newer models. Price would be £160 so looking for comparisons / alternatives in this price bracket. . Really apprecite if anyone could offer advice on this for me.

freewilly likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can anyone possibly advise how SAMSUNG SERIES 7 SLATE XE7001TA compares to more modern models around at moment ?..>>

...I owned and used a S7S back when they were first introduced on the market, and I found it to be an excellent device. There was an issue with the screen lifting up in one corner on some early production units early, but Samsung eventually fixed it. Mine was an early production unit, but it never had (or developed) that problem.

With regard to buying a used unit, I would think about the following issues:

<> Battery age: At this point, I would assume that the battery has significant "wear" on it, which will result in a short battery operating life (per charge). You should definitely ask the seller what kind of battery life the unit has or better, have him show you.

<> Windows 10: Surprisingly, I would not be overly concerned about Windows 10, per se. I own and still use a variety of older tablets and computers, including a Dell Latitude XT2 and the classic Compaq / HP TC1100. I have loaded newer OSs on these and other machines and have experienced good compatibility. Microsoft actually does a very good job with forward compatibility of its Windows versions.

<> HOWEVER, I would be concerned about the compatibility of drivers for brand-unique functions. Windows generic drivers should be compatible with most of the S7S's hardware architecture, but there may be a few specialized functions for which only the Samsung driver will do. As a generality, if there is a Samsung driver that is compatible with Win7, then it will work with Win10. More dated drivers (Vista, XP) are a case-by-case thing. If I recall correctly, the S7S was a Vista / Win7 vintage machine, so you may be OK with this issue. Just be sure that the Samsung site still offers the S7S drivers for download (just in case you need them).

Finally, with regard to computing capability and speed, I think you would find an i5 S7S to be reasonably competitive with more contemporary products. In general, except for running benchmark software, the bottle-neck in a computing system isn't typically the CPU; it's other factors such as RAM size (4 GB is adequate for all but the most challenging uses) and SSD speed (the S7S used one of the best SSDs available at the time). You might be interested to know that my Dell XT2 (more than 6 years old), running Win7, performs very comparably to some of my newest tablet hardware.

So, from all of the above, my biggest concern would be adequate battery operating life. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    GR8GUY likes this.
  3. GR8GUY

GR8GUY Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much for this detailed and very helpful reply ! I asked the seller about the battery life. The answer wasnt given as a specific time frame but more in terms of remaining power. He said that after watching two consequuetive movies the unit still had over 40% power remaining .I'd estimate that 2 movies would probably equate to at least 3.5 hours so based on that Id guess battery life is around 5 hours. Im not sure how much power it takes to play a movie but that sounds acceptable. Its especially reassuring that you say i5 is still efficient and still on a par with some current models. Really appreciated your help on this thanks again !

4. Steve S

Just make sure that if you find the battery life unacceptable, the seller will take the unit back. Alternatively, ask the seller for a "test drive"...

5. GR8GUY

GR8GUY Pen Pal - Newbie

I have this unit now and very pleased with it. Battery life seems absolutely fine and its a pretty fast responsive unit. The instructions were not included howevert I have found a link to read them online. It has micro sd card slot but not sure if there is a limit to what size / type can be utilised in it. Doesnt mention in instructions from what I can see. I can see few micro sd cards and was thinking of getting 128gb one. Does anyone know if this slate can use SDXC and if its limited to gb size ?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  6. Steve S

<<...Does anyone know if this slate can use SDXC and if its limited to gb size?..>>

In the S7S discussion thread, we discovered by user experience that the S7S is compatible with SDXC cards. I believe I ended up using a 32GB SDXC card, but a 128GB card should be OK as it is within the range of the SDXC standard (32 GB through 2 TB !):

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/

and...

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/microsd-card-specifications.52018/#post-289630

Note, however, that even though the S7S is compatible, I would approach very large capacity cards (e.g., 128 GB and larger) with caution. Sometimes the standards aren't fully implemented in the hardware...

GR8GUY likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You can run Hardware Monitor to see how much battery capacity has been lost.

GR8GUY likes this.
  8. GR8GUY

GR8GUY Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this I'll get hold of a SDXC shortly

Ive had a look around the unit but cannot see the hardware monitor option to check battery . Do you recall where to find this option ?

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You have to download CPUID Hardware Monitor from the CPUID Site. The bottom section of the report tells you the wear level of your battery in %.

10. shEEEsh

shEEEsh Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Samsung Slate 7. It was the one that came from the Las Vegas (conference) Conference and has 3G also. I don't think the ones they sold on the Samsung Site have a Sim slot - or if they do if it works. Any way - It is probably 3-4 years old now. Still my favorite computer.
    I have the Fujitsu Q472 and although I prefer it's size to the Slate, I still love the Slate best. I don't use the 3G connection at all anymore because there is WI-FI just about everywhere. As it gets older the battery dies faster, but it doesn't appear to be accessible .. That's what I like about the Fujitsu. I have a spare battery to swap when it gets too low. I actually don't remember ever needing my spare but if I do, I have it. The main thing I prefer about the Slate vs the Fujitsu is the stylus. Don't like writing with N-Trig. Wacom is so much smoother for me. Maybe because I am a lefty?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.