Samsung Series 7 Slate: Powerful, Slick, and the Best Windows Slate to Date Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Jamison Cush, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Jamison Cush

Jamison Cush TechnologyGuide Editor Staff Member

The Windows 8 release is just around the bend, and it may be Microsoft's great hope for making a dent in a tablet market dominated by the iPad. But if any device can presently make a case for Windows 7 tablet PCs, it's the Samsung Series 7 Slate. It's by far, the slickest Win 7 tablet I've seen to date, as it borrows design and UI elements from its mobile counterparts, and combines them with Core i5 power and a full operating system. 

The Samsung Series 7 Slate features the same hardware build as the Windows 8 reference tablet Microsoft handed out to BUILD conference attendees, with two slight differences. The device that ships next month for $1,099 (64GB) does not feature AT&T 3G like the BUILD Samsung tablet (press notes indicate it will support WiMAX and HSPA), nor does it support Near Field Communications.

Read the full content of this Article: Samsung Series 7 Slate: Powerful, Slick, and the Best Windows Slate to Date

Related Articles:

Windows Phone 7 Apps May Run on Windows 8, says NVIDIA CEO

ASUS Announces Eee Slate B121, Enterprise-Friendly Tablet PC

Windows 8 Quad-Core Tablet to Demo at Build

Microsoft Shows off Windows 8 on Tablets at BUILD

HP EliteBook 2760p Review

Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 Review

Samsung Unveils Windows-Powered Series 7 Slate

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

May I be the first to state from over here in the UK

"AgggggggGGgGGhhhhhhhhh Gimmmmeeee IiiIttttttttttt"

Thank you.

P.s. I only have my old Asus R2h to fill my tablet needs so would appreciate a new tablet.

3. Jamison Cush

Patience ... though from your ASUS R2h, I can see you've been waiting near forever. I've been using Windows 8 on my netbook, and I can tell you first-hand how well it will work with touch. It may just make your wait worth it.

I can't wait to see what the OEMs do with it, and I'm thinking CES in January will be chock-full o' Windows 8 goodies from Acer, ASUS, Samsung, Dell, HP, and everyone else.

4. excalibur1814

They'll all fall in line. :) Trouble is that the moment I buy the Samsung 7 slate something else will hit a couple of months later but that's the nature of the game.

Funny pic...
    [​IMG]

5. Jamison Cush

How cute. They are hitched. I bet it was a shotgun wedding.

6. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

Two comments regarding Win7 on a touch screen.

You don't need to wait for Samsung to move the Windows task bar to the side, that's a user option. Just make sure it's not locked and drag it. You can also specify how wide you want it.

Similarly, Windows lets you control the size of just about anything (as long as programs use the Windows specifications). For example, you can increase spacing of icons on the home screen or the width of scroll bars. God Mode lets you tinker to your heart's content.

As far as the Samsung Series 7, I really wish the 7 referred to the screen size and not the Windows version. Unlike you, I don't mind the smaller screen and much prefer the decrease in weight and increase in portability that it brings. I currently own an HP Slate 500 and after a while it gets too heavy. OTOH, I'd love to see a faster processor like the Samsung's if HP ever makes a replacement.

7. richman

richman Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks awesome and will be a great taste of Win 8 tablets to come. I personally think the 11.6 screen size might be a sweet spot for tablets - windows or otherwise. I have a galaxy tab 7 and it's too small for me. Even the 10in IPAds and Droids are too small for many things. I also would love to see Best Buy carry something like this. They sell boat loads of PCs why not a Windows tablet?

8. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Yup, first it will be a 10.1" 16:10 with an i5 and an N-trig digitizer causing one to wonder if that would work out. Then another with Wacom and 16:9 screen but two USB ports and a real SD Card Slot causing more wonderment.

I don't suppose we will ever get a real tablet like the '7' with a real SD card Slot, multiple USB3 ports, a full size HDMI, Wacom, a 16:10 screen, and a real CPU...

9. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...a real CPU...>>

...A real CPU...???

10. AJ2994

AJ2994 Pen Pal - Newbie

11. excalibur1814

...and me :( I'm tempted by the MSI 110w again so hurry up Samsung!

Starts to watch the video:
    A: 15 second boot time! 15.... SECONDS! ...and that's without my usual 'turn everything off sucka clicking'! (Falls over and dribbles)
    B: 6.1 hours battery life. :( So... does that mean actual intenet surfing 6.1 or max 6.1 which means 4.2 hours of media playback? Oh well it's the same or better than the W500
    C: The Samsung Touch launcher will be the first thing to go :)
    D: This might sound odd but I never actually thought of using a rear tablet cam for taking pictures. I will now.

Ok, ok, the 110w is out of the way again :)

12. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

13. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

I had not thought of using the rear camera either and it seemed rather foolish to have one. I now use the rear camera on the Q550 as a portable document scanner and it works real great. I snap a photo with the rear camera, paste the picture into OneNote, and then use the OCR ability of OneNote to extract the text. it works for ducuments, historical markers, road signs, anything that has text you may want to capture. Fantastic for field work!

14. dohertp

dohertp Pen Pal - Newbie

It's still not advertised on their website (or at least i couldn't find it other than in news) for ordering information?

Its getting close now, and theres still no ordering information does anybody know of anything else?

15. rangerb3

rangerb3 Scribbler - Standard Member

16. hysonmb

hysonmb Pen Pal - Newbie

I pre-ordered mine on Amazon and caught a mistake in the process.
    I wanted to get the 128GB drive so it was down to the A03 or A05. I searched for the A05 and found the right model number listed at $1,199.99 which is less than the A03 model! I looked at the specs and noticed a mismatch in what they had listed and what Samsung lists so I contacted them to verify that I'd be getting the right computer. The rep did confirm that I will get the 128GB in my A05 and thanked me for pointing the error out. He said that he'd notify the team and they'd get it fixed.

I just went in there to see if they were going to adjust the price that I'm charged and found that it has been reduced another $50! I cancelled the first order and placed a new one. I figure they'll fix it and charge the right amount before it ships but if not this may turn out to be a great deal!

Amazon.com: Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A05US 11.6-Inch Slate (64 GB, Win 7 Pro): Computers & Accessories