Samsung series 7 slate gps

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by jurop88, Jun 1, 2012.

1. jurop88

jurop88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok guys,
    if your Slate has a 3G module, I tell you that your Slate has GPS, too (but doesn't have WiDi). I don't know if it is your case, too, but for me it was really a pity to have a giant NAVI display and not to be able to use it because of lacking GPS, and it sounded incredible that such a product didn't have such a gadget. And no, other external GPS were not an option, I already have too many gadgets to be kept always on charge on my cigarette lighter port to add another one!
    Looking around in the internet, it looked like many people had something to say about that matter; I have a 700T1A-H01IT model, and amongst sensor I had a Windows7 GPS sensor, but there was no way to activate it. I collected many infos around, and found that the GPS module inside the Slate7 is an Option GTM671 module. That module has a built GPS, too, so - I thought - there should be a way to turn it on.
    And here's how!

• first you have to install right drivers, just to be sure of having them. I found mine on Italian Samsung support website (link), driver section, WWAN version 5.1.39.6
    • then you have to tell to the option module that GPS shall be turned on, together with the application2 port. This is done by issuing some AT commands with a terminal program or something like that. The commands to issue are:
      Code:
      AT_OIface='GPS',1
      OK
      AT_OIface='APP2',1
      OK
    • you have to restart the slate, since the GTM module needs to be rebooted. I had success in this by turning off the slate, then turning it on with both volume keys pressed, then turning it off again and turning it on. Simply by rebooting the system it didn't work.
    • after reboot, win7 will prompt for new hardware, it should find the right drivers (you downloaded and installed them, didn't you?) and install everything needed automatically
    • at this point, you should have in your system devices two new COM ports configured, namely GPS Control Interface and GPS Data Interface. - Take down numbers of COM ports and launch a terminal again
    • connect to the GPS Control Interface port
      Code:
      AT_OGPS=2
      OK
    • connect to the GPS Data Interface port
    • you should see NMEA sentences coming in.

There is a way to configure the A-GPS for a quicker fix, it need some more commands to the GPS Control Interface Port, but you should easily found them.
    If you have a navi program, just tell it the COM port of the GPS Data Interface port (after closing the terminal!) and you're done.

Now we need some scripts to turn the GPS on and off automatically when needed. If somebody jumps in it will be greatly appreciated! At present, when the tablet goes to stand-by, GPS is turned off (probably for power consumption reasons), but that's a minor annoyance. It had been great to have a trip with a 11.6" navigator on my car dashboard :D!

HTH

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Chumby

Chumby Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this... great.

I am having trouble issuing the at commands though....do you use putty?

Cheers
    Chumby

3. Chumby

Chumby Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea thanks... have figured it out. Just needed the COM port number to connect to.

cheers
    Chumby

4. aquastealth

aquastealth Pen Pal - Newbie

Thx for the instructions (although I'm a little to newbie to grasp all of it).
    A shame that Samsung doesn't provide more info on this matter and provide an on/off function like they've done for wifi/Bluetooth etc.
    Btw has anyone found any real life use with this GPS i.e. does it work with google maps or do you need dedicated GPS software and maps?

5. btblender3

btblender3 Pen Pal - Newbie

Slightly off topic, but the thread title is perfect:

What software does everyone use with the GPS function? Is it possible to get google or bing maps to recognize the GPS data? I currently use OpenCPN for nautical purposes, but I'm looking for something to use on land as well.

6. jurop88

jurop88 Pen Pal - Newbie

For land navigation I use the PC Navigator 11 free version

7. nyaben

nyaben Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks mate, I have A03US and installed the OPTION's GTM671W module as H01US. now I got two GPS port. but, it looks like doesn't work.
    when I connect to GPS DATA INTERFACE port, it just updates empty information of NMEA like $GPGGA,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*66

hmm.. any solutions?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...What software does everyone use with the GPS function?..>>

bt: I use Streets & Trips. For whatever reason, Microsoft has elected not to update S&T this year (2012), but the 2013 version has just been released. Reviews are mixed. I have looked at other map applications, like deLorme and Google, but S&T is relatively inexpensive and suits my needs.

For everything you ever wanted to know about GPS and related application software, visit Laptop GPS World , which is where I go when I have GPS / tracking questions...

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you're planning on upgrading to Windows 8, I'd hold off on buying any GPS software, because maybe the built in Bing Maps will be good enough for you.

10. mcfoi

mcfoi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to your suggestion I could prepare small Windows tool with GUI (requires .NET) to Start and Stop GPS without any AT command typing: just select the COM Control Port an push a button!

Samsung Slate 7 - GPS started.jpg

Samsung Slate 7 - GPS Manager

If you need it you can ask it to me [Anyone can ask for it]

NOTE: it does not cover the initial GPS activation that results in two new COM ports appearing in system device management (those two AT_OIFACE commands)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012