Samsung S7+ Finally a worthy successor to the NotePro 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by stoneseeker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Does Super Display support Portrait orientation, or just landscape? And as weird as this sounds, does Super Display have any feature to support using 2 Android Tablets as Monitors. Like if you had two Tab S7+s, could you use them both as monitors at the same time?

After seeing that insane 7-monitor laptop concept from Expanscape. I'm getting a bunch of awful idea's and I'm now somewhat entertaining ways to bump my dual monitor laptop setups into a triple or quad monitor setup. Since most all USB-C monitors are in the 13/15 inch range, I'm somewhat eyeing a Tab S6 lite, S6, S7, (etc) to jury rig it as a 3rd monitor. Or maybe a second as a 4th, if SuperDisplay can't run two, I wonder if I could use both Super Display and Duet Display at the same time? This wouldn't be for drawing, but so long as it could act as a reliable and stable monitor for every other purpose, it would do.

The Tab S6 Lite given its cheap price would be most ideal to this efforts, but its USB-C port only having USB2 specs concerns me for monitor jury rigging.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    artistebot likes this.
  2. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

It appears that Shogmaster already covered a lot of this, thank you Shogmaster.

• Yes, it does portrait as shown in SM's video below.
    • I don't see any option for more than one device, it might work, I don't know if the windows "drivers" have limits?
    • For me, 2 displays to one PC works fine with me. I then use a third separate device, such as the Tab S7/Macbook, to play media when I am working.

3. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

4. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Not an option on any US model—our cell providers won't allow it—but it certainly has been a feature for tablets elsewhere, so I believe the video.

5. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

My tab S6 lite can make calls on AT&T depending on which network settings I use and which sim I put in. It's an international model though, so I'm not sure if proper settings and a phone sim would do the same on a US S7.

dellaster likes this.
  6. dellaster

Yeah, you can get international versions to do it if your cell services bands match up. But models intended for the US market are data-only, not okayed by the FCC or cell providers for voice or text using the SIM card. I don't think the functions are enabled. Of course, one may use data-only Voice Over IP and such, like Google Voice. Or sync everything from your phone (might be limited to Samsung?)

7. dellaster

I guess I should be proud of myself. I slept on it for two nights before giving in. Yay me! :p

Amazon will be sending a 256GB S7+ next week along with the official ($$) Samsung book cover 'cause I never end up using keyboards with tablets, not even on a Surface, and none of the 3rd party covers or cases appealed to me. Most had magnets, too, which can be problematic as mentioned before in this thread. Samsung's should be designed to avoid that... one would hope. It also has a solid and safe place to put the S-Pen. :thumbsup:
    Screenshot_20211126-081203_Samsung Internet.jpg

yodamiked, HJK and Marty like this.
  8. dellaster

This morning I checked the Amazon listings of my recent purchases for Cyber Monday deals. Sure enough one of them is a lot cheaper today: the Samsung S7+/FE book cover. It was nearly $65, now $40, silver only.

As it happens, my book cover order is "running late", as Amazon puts it, and UPS now has no record of the tracking number. It's not in their system, they say, even though it definitely came up on the day Amazon notified me that it shipped—I was checking to see if it would arrive with the S7+, and at that time it was supposed to (separate shipment, same delivery day), that's why I remember.

Anyway, I reordered at the cheaper price. If the first one ever shows up I can just return it. I'm glad I checked for Cyber discounts!

9. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@dellaster
    I'm curious how you like the book cover. Opinion here is polarized. On the one hand it exceptionally light weight and it has the holder for the S Pen. But OTOH the pen holder to my mind makes for a bit of an uncomfortable ridge on the one side when holding it in portrait more to say read an e book.

On the third hand. they borrowed Apple's idea of making the attachment all magnetic so it's super easy to remove.

10. dellaster

@desertlap - I'll report back after getting it and using it for a while. I might only put it on for protection when not using it, which is what I do with my Surface Go 2 and Galaxy Book 12 and their keyboard covers. I use them naked (not me, the tablets). So the easy magnetic removal/attach is a big plus.

yodamiked likes this.