Samsung S7+ Finally a worthy successor to the NotePro 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by stoneseeker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. GFXmonkey

GFXmonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

Would you recommend a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7+ for use primarily as as a secondary display and drawing tablet (cintiq on a budget) for my portable rig? I was considering getting one mainly for use with my laptop with SuperDisplay or similar solutions. The reason this is appealing is the cost for a relatively highres display and the 16:10 aspect ratio. I have a beefy Dell XPS 17 with a 16:10 display and a 4k+ display. I've considered getting a Cintiq Pro 16, but it seems cumbersome compared to the lightness of the Samsung tablet. I am already in the Samsung ecosystem since I have a Note 10+ and a watch and the buds+. With my new WFH schedule, I tend to move my laptop around the house throughout the day... sometimes up in my office, then down to the kitchen and living room, and sometimes out out the porch, so a lighter solution bodes well for that. This is mainly for personal projects in Photoshop, CSP, Leonardo, and Sketchbook Pro, not my day job as a designer/developer. I have a few different sized Intuos Pro tablets and a Surface Pro 7 that I draw, sketch, and take notes with. Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Aside from second monitor purposes, what use do you expect to get out of the Tab S7+ that you can’t get out of your Surface Pro 7? Size wise they are fairly equivalent so the S7+ doesn’t gain you any significant portability advantage over the Pro 7.

and while the S-Pen is better then the Surface Pen, it’s by a far shorter margin then it used to be. Especially with the new tip design of the Slim Pen, I regularly find myself preferring to draw on my Pro 5 with Slim Pen over my Mobile Studio Pro and it’s Pro Pen 2.

3. GFXmonkey

Honestly the only thing that makes me interested in the S7+ is that it can be used with a tool like SuperDisplay. I have some general interest in exploring art apps on Android, but if I could use my Pro 7 as a cintiq-like device on one of my powerful machines, I would. I've experimented with a few different ways to try to achieve that, but it's lacking. There has been a lot more development around this on iOS and Android, as far as I can tell. The aspect ratio of the S7+ also appeals as my laptop is 16:10. I'd like something larger than 12+ inches for drawing/digital painting, but above 15 inches things stop being portable.

Do you recommend the Slim Pen? I do love drawing on my Pro 7 with Leonardo. I need to get a new Surface stylus as my newer one stopped working, so maybe the slim pen would help with that. I've been using my Raphael stylus mostly lately. While the Pro 7 is an i7 with 16gb ram, I don't really find it suitable to do much heavy lifting in Photoshop, especially now that the newer Uefi firmware stops throttlestop from being effective. My personal projects tend to be layer intense and can easily bog down my Surface Pro. I also do all the scanning, retouch, and pre-press/art print work for my wife's oil painting work, and those tend to be very large, high bitdepth files that tend to bog down the SP7 if there is more than a couple layers or complex masks.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I find the slim pen much better to use then the regular surface pen. The plastic construction makes the pen more comfortable to hold, but to achieve the thinness, they had to rework the entire nib assembly. Despite the pixel sense tech operating at the same Pro 5 levels, the change in the nib assembly makes a world of difference. I feel I have much greater control of the pressure output, especially as the lower end of the pressure scale. It just feels nice, and the slimmer profile also makes the back end eraser easier to use. I find the slim pen so much better then the regular surface pen, it irks me to no end how Microsoft continuously gives no care to it. I’d they had a slim pen keyboard cover for the regular Pros, I’d buy it in a second.

I can’t attest to super display since I don’t have any current android tablets, but I can’t imagine any of those apps could run as well as Apples Sidecar which weakest point is using it for drawing.

another option is the Lenovo ThinkVision M14t. Is a usb-c 14 inch monitor but with pen and touch. The Pen is Wacom AES so it’s not perfect, but it’s certainly more Portable͎ then the Cintiq 16.

5. GFXmonkey

Good to hear about the Slim Pen. I was going to replace my broken surface pen, but I think I'll replace it with one of these Slim Pens. I wish they had a nice keyboard for the Pro that would fit it.

I like my Raphael stylus, but I do miss the pen/eraser of the the surface stylus.

It is frustrating that I can't find a good non-wifi way of using my Pro 7 as a drawing input for my other machines. I had some rebate cash on one of my accounts that is expiring and was thinking of using it on a Samsung tablet simply for that use case. This seems like something MS really should address.

I'm not opposed to getting a Cintiq, but I am hesitant because of the overall size and clunkiness of it. I wanted to find something around 20-24" inches for my office for primary use with my desktop, but right now my available desk space is a bit limited. Ideally i'd prefer something that is connectable with a single Usb-C cable as my two primary systems have that connectivity.

6. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think I was in the same boat as you... I needed a gaming laptop with a stout GPU to do some 3D animation work, but also a graphics tablet solution to go along with it.
    So, I use SuperDisplay. I think the biggest concern people have is lag, and I think there is a tiny slight amount of lag but not enough to bother me. Since you have a Note10, you could try it out on your own with that to see for yourself.

I also wanted to see if I could somehow use a standalone PC (my Galaxy Book 12) as a Cintiq somehow to my gaming laptop. Supposedly MS RDP can pass pen pressure sensitivity info. But researching it, it sounds like it is program dependent. There is something newer I've heard called Parsec Warp that can supposedly support Wacom tablet info, so maybe that can pass along tablet PC input likewise. Perhaps that is something that would allow you to work remotely with your desktop PC. Parsec does appear to cost $10 a month as a subscription service, but I guess short term that is cheaper than a $750 S7+.

Then the last solution I considered was tying all these devices to share a network drive, so they could work with the same set of graphics files. But the file open conflicts made that a no go for me.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  7. GFXmonkey

Yeah, that was my quandry as well... I needed a decent laptop for the type of stuff I do, which meant lots of ram and processor and a decent gpu. I tried a Surface Book and my Pro 7 and while I loved them, they weren't handling the load like I needed.

I will give SuperDisplay a try on my Note and see how it does. I got my Surface to interact with my XPS 17 via the Windows Connect app and that works decently, but it does suffer from periodic lag and display compression. It also has a tendency to drop after a while. I hadn't heard of Parsec, but I just looked into that and it seems like it has promise albeit at a fairly high monthly cost. I would really only be using it for the tablet functionality. I will give it a try.

I am on the fence about the S7+, but am starting to lean towards it, as I've had good experiences with their other hardware.

Thanks for the suggestions.

nyb72 likes this.
  8. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, it sounds like you and I are in the same exact place, so it will be interesting to track what you ultimately find.

I think best solution is something like an Acer ConceptD 7 or 9, but it's quite an investment and slightly heavy. Perhaps someday there will be a midpriced lightweight unicorn with Wacom EMR.

I looked at a surface book as well, but like you say, probably too underpowered. I use an ASUS Rog gaming laptop with Ryzen and 2060 GPU, and I'm impressed with what it can do. The next gen of that laptop looks even better.

The other piece of hardware that might be interesting is the new ASUS Rog Flow, where you're dealing instead with a 30XX GPU attachment on a 2-in-1 that has an already moderately powered GPU and questionable pen. If it had EMR I would have seriously considered it.

Yes, RDP was too intermittent for me to rely as a solution. SuperDisplay I feel is pretty reliable once it's connected. But every now and then, sometimes it will not connect and you have to try a few times. It mostly happens when I'm messing around with the USB connection when I need SuperDisplay turned "off" in order to access my tablet files from PC.

9. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Good discussion, in the morning I will give superdisplay a try on my tab s7+ connected to:

My zBookx2
    My work Razer Blade 15 (RTX 2060)
    My Ryzen 3900 workstation (RTX 2070)

I have already tried the new ui update by Samsung that enables the s7 to act as a wireless windows pc screen, but pen input was terrible. Did not work in PS, was laggy in Krita

10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I tested SuperDisplay on my 3x Windows 10 systems via the USB connection.

For drawing and painting, it works pretty well. There is a noticeable lag compared to using a direct Wacom input but it is small and remains mostly usable. In Krita, CSP, and ZBrush, the pen and touch works as expected but with the noted lag.

The app REQUIRES Windows Ink to be enabled for pen pressure to be recognized. Photoshop versions 21.2.2 and above work with Windows Ink, older PS does not.

For an older version of PS, I need to have the "PSUserConfig.txt" file in the Adobe dir to get pressure sensitivity in PS using my Wacom tablet or 22HD. I can setup Krita, CSP, zBrush to use windows Ink but not old PS. I am using PS 22.1.1 that works.

Note that installing the windows driver that is required for the app to work, will cause pen pressure to be disabled in apps until they are configured for Windows Ink.

IMHO the pros of SuperDisplay:
    • makes the Tab S7+ work as touch and pen-enabled display for windows.
    • the USB connects makes it "usable" in comparison to a wifi connection.
    • price seems about average, and thankfully NOT subscription!
    • seems like the perfect mobile add-on display for the zBook X2, both screens are the same resolution/aspect, plus use the same pen tech.

IMHO the cons of SuperDisplay:
    • needs to use Windows Ink.
    • cannot use older Photoshop than 22.1.1
    • Installing the windows drivers might disable any current pen sensitivity until adjusted per app.
    • The windows-ink setting in Kita has a large lag for touch, that that default WinTab does not.

darkmagistric and Marty like this.