Samsung S7+ Finally a worthy successor to the NotePro 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by stoneseeker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

@artistebot Sorry to come out of the woodwork and verge OT, but I just had to ask if you can comment on whether or not third party magnetic cases affect the iPad in the same way? Or is it only the Samsung EMR that it sensitive to it right now as far as you know?

I took the hit and switched to iPP around 5 months ago. I opted to use the Laut Inflight Folio with it, which isn’t perfect at all as it basically makes the volume buttons unusable for me, so I always adjust the volume via the shortcut in iOS, but the price, materials, and steady drawing angle are all good.

2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

My iPad case have a magnet, and it's still working very well. iPad use a different pen technology that rides on the touch digitizer. Most smartphone with touchscreen aren't affected by magnet cases so you should be good.

Wacom has advantage of battery free stylus and great pen input, but it use a separate digitizer layer that conflict with nearby magnet. I didn't know long term exposure to magnet could cause permanent damage on the digitizer though, gotta remove that magnet from my Asus cases...

BTW had anyone been fed up with how tech news website keep trying to kill the Samsung Note lines every single time some rumor about new device come out? Every once in a while my news feed would show up something like " S lines get optional S-Pen support, Samsung note is dead" " Galaxy Fold is future of flagship, Samsung Note is dead", "Samsung getting scrollable display phone, bye bye Note line" etc. I mean, some of them aren't even direct competitor, if anything it's the S lines that should be killed. What is it with the hate on the Note lines by tech blog?

stoneseeker and neongolden like this.
  3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

As far as I know only EMR is sensitive to magnets. IPP does not use EMR.

neongolden likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

This drives me crazy too, they just choose extremist titles like this to get as many clicks on their blogs as possible, because they know us note users are going to click the link in horror. Akin to a blog with a title like, "Dentists DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW this new trick for getting rid of cavities once and for all!" clickbait clickbait BARF.

crazycat likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So I have been using the Tab S7+ over the Christmas holidays. One of our customers has asked if we could optimize two of our apps to take advantage of DEX, so they could run the two apps side by side.
    So I have been trying out test builds as well as trying to use it a primary productivity device as with the Office apps.

So our dev's comments on DEX. "Great promise but difficult our lackluster tools to fully develop with..."

Alternately we are looking at ways with Android 11 to do something similar (and thus not be locked in to Dev per se) Again it's frustrating limitations of android that are the block here.

This is such a nice tablet hardware wise, every bit the equal of the iPad Pro 12.9 or the Surface Pro X, but Android consigned this to a 3rd place finish .

I wonder what Google plans to do here. We also have been testing out Lenovo's Chromebook duet which with the lates versions of chrome OS has been getting more tablet like features. Make no mistake, from a hardware perspective, these two devices aren't even in the same league, but it's a shame that a sub $300 device has a significantly better desktop experience and a passable tablet experience.

All of this makes the Tab s7 + difficult to recommend broadly and instead narrows it to a very specific niche, honestly primarily jus the ant-apple crowd.

So much potential here (including arguably the best tablet display full stop) but wasted on android.

These are the kinds of things that make me shake my head ....

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    neongolden and Kumabjorn like this.
  6. crazycat

I plan to sell my iPad and buy an used tab S6 because Android has all the apps I need for more affordable price (Krita is free, and CSP phone version works with pressure on cheaper license). File management is more manageable on it, and there is niche app like linux and Wine emulator, web game engine app. etc that just won't happen on ipad. I can also use it as a high res Cintiq with Super Display.

Also I will get a better pen without fear for the life span of battery powered Apple Pencil.

Really I'm not anti-Apple, I tried to like the iPad but it just feel too limited for me.

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  7. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I adore my s6 lite. Favorite device ever. Never got so much done on anything else.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree that if I had to choose a pen tablet of 2020, it has to be S6 Lite. You can literally buy it now days for ~$300 and you can have a machine capable of running CSP well natively, and when connected to a Windows PC via SuperDisplay, run CSP as well as any PC 2 in 1.

That ~$300 cost with an excellent S-Pen cannot be overstated. That undercuts iPad + Apple Pencil by over $120. If you aren't married to Procreate, then it's a no brainer purchase if you have limited budget.

I ended up selling mine to get S7+. but spending that much on Android is definitely a regret from my perspective since it's really same money as Samsung S-Pen Windows unit, which is a huge problem since using CSP on Windows is still noticeably superior to using CSP on Android. None of that super low latency, 120Hz refresh and OLED screen matters as much as better palm rejection options and more reliable and flexible platform to do real work. I enjoy using S7+ via SuperDisplay @ 60Hz connected to my PC with slightly added latency much more than S7+ natively with lower latency and 120Hz...

Cuberdon75 and neongolden like this.
  9. crazycat

The tab S6 lite got cut corner at the USB C port, its USB connection is 2.0 without HDMI out. This make the S6 lite less future proof if some day Super Display improve the refresh rate.

Edit
    @Shogmaster are you using usb c to usb c (3.0) cable for super display?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I have used both USB C to C and C to A cables. They are USB 3.0 cables but can't tell the difference between S6 and S6 Lite using them...