Samsung S7+ Finally a worthy successor to the NotePro 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by stoneseeker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think you can make the case with SuperDisplay's impressive low latdncy, going for a 45W CPU laptop instead of 15W ones like in ZBOOK X2. Maybe get one with simple capacitive touch screen to make switching Windows easier but I think ZB X2 makes too much compromises for content creation in late 2020...

Tams likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So the embargo was lifted yesterday and the mainstream blogs are positing reviews.

This review on the verge is reasonably on target with one glaring exception which throws his credibility in to question for me. He starts out by calling the Tab S6 "beset with bugs". Uh no!. It actually was about average for any new release and multiple things he called bugs were just limitations of Android and/or Samsung UI.

Anyway link below. We have had the plus for a few days though we haven't had a chance to formally test it yet because we were waiting on a software update which Samsung also released yesterday.

I will say that already, this is easily the nicest piece of tablet hardware Samsung has ever produced and on the score, a worthy competitor to the iPad Pro

https://www.theverge.com/21444688/samsung-galaxy-tab-s7-plus-review

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I wonder if this function is only available for "Samsung PC", I assume there is a chance the host software isn't downloadable for any other brand PC?

4. Shogmaster

SuperDisplay works on any Win10 computer and any Android tablet. So if Samsung app don't work, you just just use SuperDisplay instead.

stoneseeker likes this.
  5. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

So here's a picture of the Note Pro vs Galaxy Tab S7+ (Right)

https://imgur.com/a/C4mfvfP

I think I might be affected by the green tint issue. The white on the canvas is definitely not white on the S7+ but strangely the colors seems to match on the Note 9, so maybe it's a common amoled behavior.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    desertlap likes this.
  6. desertlap

OMG the bezels on the Note pro.... :D:eek:

7. Shogmaster

Them are MANLY BURLY bezels!

Tams likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

oh god, are those 0.6 inch thick bezels....my god, how far we have progressed in such a few years from such barbaric tech standards.

(as I type on a Surface Pro with 0.5 inch thick bezels.):p

desertlap likes this.
  9. desertlap

We needed to update a couple of our custom apps on Android and coincidentally Samsung loaned us a S7 + so a few observations, but not any formal tests yet.

First of all, this is the nicest tablet screen available full stop (albeit with the qualifier that it's 16:10 aspect ratio) including my daughters iPad Pro 12.9 It's visibly superior in watching Netflix or you tube content and is possibly the only small screen that can actually visibly deliver HDR content unlike several laptop displays we've seen recently which claim HDR support but you'd be hard pressed to actually see it.

Physically it's every bit as quality feeling as the iPad Pro and the sound is even slightly fuller than the iPad Pro 12.9 which is among the best out there.

The optional keyboard /trackpad is decent. Slightly better than the Apple keyboard folio but below the Apple magic keyboard or the Microsoft surface covers. The trackpad specifically is just adequate, nowhere near the magic keyboard , but I think that's mostly due to Android.

Another bright spot is that MS has massively closed the gap in the Android versions of the office apps and I'd now call it a toss up between them and the iOS versions with usability quirks that stem from the underlying OS.

Performance wise, we haven't formally tested it yet, but anecdotally , it's generally excellent although the Note 20 Ultra beats it out with our apps (likely a smaller RAM issue on the Tab and why they would put less RAM in a tablet like this is beyond me).

Anecdotally, the 5G might be the best we have seen yet, both in throughput and signal acquisition based on my results at home and around our office.

Once again I'm really impressed by how great the s-pen is. Even me who uses it for primarily for markup and crude scribbles can sense the higher quality tech and my iPad Pro and pencil come in second place.

Last but not least, while Samsung's UI skin goes a long way in fixing some of Androids tablet issues and works with some but far to few 3rd party apps many still dont utilize the screen properly or crash when in multiwindow mode.

One last thought, this would be a killer WOA device, though it's very unlikely to happen.:oops:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Stopped by my local Best Buy today and they had the Tab S7 & S7+ So I too finally got some hands on time with them

Although annoyingly my Best Buy had them in completely different sections of the store. The Tab S7+ was in the Cell Phone section in the front and the regular S7 was back in the Samsung section. So unfortunately I couldn’t directly compare the two models side by side. (They did this too with the Galaxy Book 10.6 & 12)

I was more impressed with the smaller S7...despite having the lesser display, the screen quality looked really nice. It was bit thicker then I expected (especially compared to the other Samsung Android tablets on the shelf) but it was surprisingly light. And it had Clip Studio pre-installed, perfect pen experience. And its 11 inches, but it looked and felt quite portable. They even already had an open box S7 for $550...won’t deny the idea didn’t cross my mind. But having just recently plunked down for an iPad Pro 12.9 (and Pencil 2 and Magic Keyboard), likely I won’t be making this purchase.

But I do love the s-pen feeling. I’ve been trying to get comfortable with iPad OS Clip Studio and the Apple Pencil 2...and a few weeks now and I’m still not fully comfortable with the Apple Pencil 2. I probably should get one of those paper texture screen protectors, but If I got the S7 or S7+ instead, the drawing experience and feel I can already tell is perfect right out of the box and would be an easy and instant transition.

That all being said, I really wish they offered the S7’s in 3/4 aspect Ratios (like the Tab S3).

artistebot and WillAdams like this.