Samsung S7+ Finally a worthy successor to the NotePro 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by stoneseeker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Speaking of that early Android Sketchbook Express on Jellybean, that SOB don't use pressure sensitivity at all! Mind blown...

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Covid has factored into all tech sales since staying at home and working/learning remote has shifted everyone's tech priorities and reliance.

And keep in mind, even if schools tend to use Chromebooks, it still makes an issue for students learning at home if that's the only device they have. Like if you have your Class on Zoom, that takes up your whole screen, juggling around word or other apps to get the work done could be very difficult. Especially for family's with multiple kids and maybe only one computer. And unlike Laptops and tablets which have webcams by default, most desktops don't. And Webcams outside of Amazon are hard to come by since Covid began. I think Macbooks, Laptops, Android Tablets, iPads, and Chrome Books I think all had massive uptick in sales since Covid began.

3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Good points. Sales seem better but supply seems more constrained too so that might influence demand?

I have two teenagers at home, that use the chromebooks provided by their school.
    They also share a Macbook w their mom, mostly by choice to so they learn to share and schedule time rather than rain devices on them. The being said they also have their own phone so it is still there. So far they seem to doing fine w mostly the chromebook and phone as a backup at times.

My devices are used exclusively for work and work related task.

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm really glad to hear pre-sales are going so well for them, regardless of why. Any EMR device that does well is a win for us and securing the possibility of future devices to purchase.

Here's another review from artist perspective:

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Some highlights from Teoh Yi Chie's vid:

Parallax is extremely minimal @5:00, that is some close lamination!
    [​IMG]

Jitter is near Cintiq-level @13:25, a close match to my old 22HDT:
    [​IMG]

Teoh also praised the feather-light IAF, excellent pressure control and consistency, and total lack of edge drift.

Overall, top-notch EMR guys. :thumbsup: (MobileStudio what? :p)

6. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Speaking of which--where are the webcams??

The Logitech Brio 4k has trebled in price, if it can be found at all.

Why aren't we hearing about manufacturers rushing in to produce new models? The existing ones are almost all terrible. One solution is to use a DSLR with a capture card and/or special software, but that's far from convenient.

An odd free market failure.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Well, our little family just bought our first home! We are going to be moving in October.
    So I did the math and I'm going to purchase one of these so I can keep up with design work while I am doing renovations in our new home before we move in, which means weeks of back and forth between cities, where I hope to do some work for part of the week. Rather than schlep my desktop and monitor, cintiq etc. to the new home while we renovate, I would bring this beauty. It would be far more practical to get a Concept D9 or D7 Ezel, but that is too rich for my blood now that we are noob home owners chin deep in debt.
    So my only reservations now are,
    1. Can I actually get my hands on one before October 2 in Canada??
    2. Will I be able to use Clip Studio Paint in my Photoshop workflow temporarily? I believe I remember that you can export as PSD files... not sure how seamless that would be though.
    3. How much efficiency loss will there be with the new software and unfamiliar shortcuts etc? Anyone know CSP well enough to tell me if I can assign shortcuts to: brush size up and down, brush opacity, and color pick? Those are by far my most used shortcuts.

Look forward to dumping reviews on here for this thing. My hopes are high!

also, my T902 is just too unreliable these days. Ever since Windows 7 support dropped I have been getting weird stability issues whenever I try and use it necessitating constant restarts, not to mention there is a strip of unresponsive pen/touch near the middle of the screen. RIP old friend...:(

Marty likes this.
  8. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

So I was thinking of purchasing this this month. I went to the Samsung store and it's smaller than I expected compared to the Note Pro. The screens are similar enough except for dark scenes. I ended up deciding not to get it since I barely use my Note Pro 12.2 these days and prefer to draw on my Notebook 9 Pro (15.6") and my PC. If the S7+ used an LCD screen, maybe I would have bitten because AMOLED sucks for drawing and GPS purposes. It just sucks that the S7+ is literally more than double the amount I paid for the Note Pro when I bought it close to launch. The only good thing about it is that the keyboard is included but no choices in specs (forced LTE) and once October rolls, the price remains the same and the free Galaxy Live Buds/plus if S7 is gone.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not a free market failure per se, but much more a product of unintended consequences. Webcams are one of those things that are steady predictable sales wise.

When the lockdowns started spreading beyond the NE, and the subsequent meteoric rise in work from home, sales of webcams from vendors (and laptops and tablets with webcams as well).

We have. relationship with Logitech and they told us that in the three weeks after the lockdowns became widespread, they sold their entire remaining allocation for the year.

And of course add in that the primary manufacturing for the web cams was in the province of china that was the first to shut down with Covid. And, just to add to it, when they started back up, priority was on devices like computers due to existing, far larger contracts with OEMS.

It's an overused term, but this truly was a perfect storm.

PS: There was/are tertiary affects also such as a shortage of keyboards and mice (go to your local Office Depot and see how small the selection is now compared to normal). There has been shortage of memory and storage too which manifests in delays of new models or odd configuration issues such as not being able buy CTO models of many systems

And we haven't worked our way through all these things yet either.:(

Tams and darkmagistric like this.
  10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sorry for slightly OT, but if your Note Pro 12.2 is running at least Android 5.1, can you please download SuperDisplay on it and hook it up to your Notebook 9 Pro and let me know how the lag is using your apps through it vs native on the Notebook 9 Pro? I'm curious how much lower performance SoC of the Note Pro 12.2 handles performance of SuperDisplay.

SuperDisplay.app

Thanks.