Samsung S7+ Finally a worthy successor to the NotePro 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by stoneseeker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

FWIW: Samsung has told us that partially due to the new display, the plus also has the very latest S-Pen tech including the "most accurate tracking yet" .

They didn't qualify that , but I have one of my engineers who is really picky on pens like some here and her initial response was that their one on the plus is "an absolute joy to use"

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

As I read articles about an incredible new high end android tablet, the right side of my screen disagrees :rolleyes:

androidhighenddedd.png

darkmagistric and desertlap like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Pre-order links for BB Canada up:

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ 12.4" 256GB Android Tablet w/ Snapdragon 865 Plus 8-Core Processor - Mystic Black - SM-T970NZKEXAC - 1299.99 CAD

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ 12.4" 128GB Android Tablet w/ Snapdragon 865 Plus 8-Core Processor - Mystic Black - SM-T970NZKAXAC - 1189.99 CAD

Other colour options (Mystic Bronze/Silver) also available. No pre-order links for the keyboard yet.

Thank you Samsung for the simultaneous Canadian release, I'll finally be able to check these out in-store, while everyone is talking about them come September. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Canadian SKUs look to be WiFi-only, no 5G unfortunately. :(

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    stoneseeker and darkmagistric like this.
  4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Brad Colbow just put out a nice look at this beauty:

If you're wondering how much the improved screen affects pen performance in the real world, he does a nice comparison @~5:20:

[​IMG]

Versus the S6 lite, you can see the lag is cut down by almost exactly half, matching the doubled refresh rate.

And in the a pen optimized app like Samsung Notes, you get near-zero, 9ms lag response time.

Dam...the impulse buy urge is really building on this one. Somebody get it already and give us a review, so I can enjoy it vicariously! :D

5. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Pre ordered the 8gb + & keyboard. Whoo hoo!

Saved ~$400 w a tab s3 trade in and student discount.

Interesting to see a few new Android tablets....?

Marty and darkmagistric like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’m kind of surprised to hear that the pre-orders/sales are doing so much better then anyone expected.

From a utility sense it isn’t all that different from the Tab S6, even the keyboard and detachable kickstand were there for the S6. My understanding was the previous tabs were poor sellers. Even the Note tablet line I assumed sold poorly given that they stopped making Note Tablets. (The brand anyway)

So what is it about the Tab S7 + that seems to have revitalized the android tablet market? Even Lenovo is putting out their own premium android option that looks like a carbon copy of the S7+.

is it just because of the 11/12 inch screen sizes over the more common 10 inch?

is it Clip Studio? As much as that made a lot of us here happy, I always figured that would be a small niche within S7 users who would even use it.

or maybe it’s Covid? Pre Covid I had no remote interest in the iPad Pro 12.9....but now well into Covid, I’ve been heavily debating the purchase.

With schools likely being all digital this year and many jobs still remote, could the Tab S7+’s success be owed to the Covid status quo more then anything else?

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Those that are wanting to get a look at the new Tabs should get a chance next week at Best buys that have Samsung Experience centers in advance of them going on general sale September 18

And FWIW having played with new S7 Plus, it is by far the best tablet Samsung has ever produced and at least hardware wise, is the equal or better than the iPad Pro. I'd argue better as the display is immediately, obviously superior.

8. artistebot

****ty that you cannot preorder the keyboard, those darn things never seem to drop in price until after the product is discontinued. For now Samsung is offering the Tab S7 keyboard for 50% but likely that will be MSRP after a short time.

I think BeastBuy CA offers the S7+ bundled WITH the keyboard for preorder?

I think all the Cellular options are limited to the 6gb-128gb model, additionally. the 256gb model is does not offer Mystic Bronze. At least in the US, I wonder what options there are internationally?

Beast-Buy in the US only offers the 256gb model in Mystic Black and no 512gb model at all. They also only offer $25 trade in value for a Tab S3 vs Samsung offering $150.

It is possible that Samsung thought it would sell in similar ways, since the tablet market has been in decline for years mostly due to " Pablets"? Never the less seeing new Android tablets is interesting. Regarding the Lenovo device, it repeats what was done in the past just a bit bigger so IMHO I think could actually damage the perception of Android devices. Fail.

Obviously, the Note brand was killed off due to the massive exploding Note 7 recall.

Yes at 12" size is significant, as least for me. The Tab S7 has better screen refresh and such, but for me that it was never an issue. IMHO the Android/Dex multi-windows, file navigation and EMR pen are far better that what iOS offers. Samsung has made significant additions to Android that other (including Google) have not.

Nice to have CSP, on Android. It also lends some "street-cred" for those hung up "pro apps" and cannot see past Adobe, or find excuses for not liking something. The whole EMR pen lag thing is over blown, as it just buys into Apple's marketing machine.

Not sure how Covod factors into Android tablet sales, schools tend to use Chromebooks?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Screw your fancy S7+, I just resurrected my OG Note 10.1! Jellybean goodness! 1280x800 PLS! 1.4GHz A9s! 2GB of DDR3! 16GB eMMC! Charging the battery to 100% only took 8 hours! WHO'S THE MAN NOW DOG~

10. artistebot

Heh heh.

I used to own all the Samsung Note tablets at the same time. Sure the 12" pro was my favorite, but the OG model (mine was the 32gb model) was easy to hold and durable in comparison to the flexy/wobbly others. Having a stowed pen was nice too.

When I got the SM-P580 TabA 10.1 w Spen (in silo!!) I sold them all, as they started showing battery connection issues (hardware issue....you know...like EVERY mobile Wacom product!)....except the OG.

• Honestly if you are mostly using Sketchbook Pro it works like a champ.
    • JellyBean allows for Apps to be installed on the SD cards
    • You can have an app run in the background.
    I would use a gallery app on timed slide show as reference (stored on the SD card) in a on-top window to do sketchbook life gesture studies. Currently there is no way to do that on Android.

I have kept my TabA 10.1 on Marshmallow 6.01 for that reason as it is the last ver of Android that allows for background apps to run like I want.

I might downgrade my remaining Tab S3 to 6.01 as it is the last Device to support Marshmallow, but not sure if it is worth the trouble as the TabA is built like a tank, stowed pen, and is already rooted and working great.