Samsung S7+ Finally a worthy successor to the NotePro 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by stoneseeker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

My old Note Pro 12" tablet was an attempt at a very pro-sumer large android tablet experience, and priced quite high as a result, but was favored among artists as a fantastic Wacom EMR drawing experience on a mobile thin and light tablet, the pre-cursor to the Apple i-pad pro which introduced the pencil.
    They seemed to abandon the large form factor and powerful components afterwards for more mid range and smaller tablets with more affordable specs, and dropped the "pro" moniker. Still, plenty of people loved the Tab S series, I just didn't feel like any of them have yet been true upgrades, as they all were not nearly as large a drawing surface, and they didn't feel like substantial tech upgrades to my aging NotePro.

And then comes along The Tab S7+ ...

snapdragon 865+! 6 gigs RAM! 2800x 1752 12.4" AMOLED screen??? 120 Hz refresh rate?! 10,090 mAh battery! Improved s pen with 9ms latency (thank in part to the screen refresh rate)

Looks like I can finally retire the ole Note Pro for a worthy successor.

anyone else excited for this??

djas, dstrauss, WillAdams and 2 others like this.
  2. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Plus Clip Studio Pro soon on Android! (And Krita already there.)

Just wish Samsung would give up on 16:10 for tablets.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

I still don't like Android. It would be nice if Samsung used a 120Hz screen and an optimized SPEN with a delay of 9ms to make a new version of the x86 architecture of the galaxy Book 12. After waiting for three years, there was no new version of the galaxy Book 12.

Android system is too weak. Even Chrome OS is better than Android. Google abandoned Android tablet computers a few years ago and concentrated on Chrome OS. Chrome OS not only has a desktop browser, but also is compatible with Android and Linux applications.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Very glad to see this, and will probably buy one to supplement my Samsung Galaxy Book 12 if I don't get a Flex (assuming MS makes it possible to select text with a Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus).

stoneseeker likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I though the Note Pro was a masterpiece. I prefer the 10" version of the S7, but the improvements are truly impressive. If only I was not wedded to a windows device.

stoneseeker and dstrauss like this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Lisa got to handle one ahead of release:

The hardware is looking very refined...a close match to the IPP build quality, while also offering 5G at a reasonable $1299 CAD (~$983 USD) for the 256GB model (S-Pen included).

Launching in Canada on the Sep 18th. I'm hyped. :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  7. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Finally a modern Android large screen pen device! 3:2 ratio would be better, but still very welcome.

Bronsky likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Cant go in to details yet due to NDA, but this is BY FAR the nicest android tablet Samsung has produced. It's definitely a worthy successor to the note pro (I still use mine occasionally) and is a credible competitor to the iPad Pro (not withstanding Android)

It also has the best display yet, full stop.

9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I'd give my interest in hell for a future version to dual-boot, or for it to be straight-forward to install Linux.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I too wish they opted for a 2/3 or 3/4 ratio, but 16:10 is at least better then 21:9.

I'm kind of curious how well this stacks up against the Mobile Studio Pro/Cintiq Grade EMR.

The S-pen/UD EMR was always second class to Wacoms Pro Level from a Spec point of view, but not even Wacom's Pro devices make use of a 120hz/fps screen refresh rate. The current Cintiq 16 Pro I believe only has a screen refresh rate of like 45-60. Even if its polling frequency, and pressure levels aren't as high, the S7+ very likely could be the greatest implementation of S-Pen EMR yet.

I was contemplating a few weeks back about getting the 12.9 iPad Pro, but now with the S7+...its a tough call to be honest.

I feel the overall iPad OS app environment might be more to my liking, as well as the Aspect Ratio.

But Clip Studio finally on Android and being able to use my Zbook X2 pen with its back-end eraser are compelling me towards the S7+.

The S7+'s keyboard and separate backcover/kickstand also looks more practical then the limited position of the Magic Keyboard.