Samsung Officially Announces Galaxy Note Landing at AT&T Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Valerie Sarnataro, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Valerie Sarnataro

Valerie Sarnataro Scribbler - Standard Member Reviewer

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  2. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

Already there with my unlocked note. In fact I'm writing this on it now.

3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So how well does the handwriting recognition work?

4. watchdog

It's not the same as what you'd get in a regular tablet PC, it's like the transcriber in windows mobile but it works better. I'm writing this using swipe.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

My suspicion in that you'd use the pen for making quick notes, drawing , and annotating pics the most- two very important things for certain people.

6. watchdog

The included pen is very accurate, but I've been using the old Wacom pen from my OQO. Not as pinpoint as the included stylus but it works we'll enough. I purchases a leather book-like case on Ebay from a Korean group called Mfit and I added an elastic pen holder for the old tablet PC pen, so now it looks like a little note book.

7. Steve B

That actually sounds really cool. You should post a pic about it. BTW, is there a thread about the Samsung Note in the Samsung forum? Its not even released, I don't even own it, and I'm already ready to talk about it. I'm up pretty soon for a new AT & T contract and phone, so I'm pretty set on this.

I've been thinking that any number of the typical tablet pc Wacom pens ought to work on it, right? If the first button does a typical right click kind of function, based on the videos I've been watching, and the eraser work on it too, I wonder what a second button, like on the Axiotron Pen, would do?

Btw, the 30 minutes Note review you linked to was very informative. A good watch. I'd like to see more about how real people are really using it for productivity, but I also think a lot of that's going to change once ICS comes out on it.

If I'm looking for Android apps to see if this can do what I want, does Android organize it OS in any way? Should I look up stuff for ICS? Or do Android apps sort of just all live together in a jumble and you have to figure out which ones work on which platform?

8. watchdog

Here are three pictures of how I set my Galaxy Note up. I got the case off ebay because I like that book look. I wanted to be able to use my old OQO pen so I bought some elastic material and attached it in a pen-holding loop to the side with a lot of glue. Bit messy in the application, but it works. The case itself comes with a little stand so that you can view videos on the device.

Attached Files:

9. Steve B

What's the leather thing to the left on the inside of the flap? That would be a perfect giant wallet/ man purse if you could put a few CC's, some cash, etc. on that side. Was it designed for the Note- for example, can you take a pic with the note in the case? The case material looks appropriately firm and yet not too thick. Does it fit in a jeans pocket? How thick does it become with the case?

The pen mod is simple yet effective. Since the pen is a tiny bit on the side, does it get in the way when holding/ transporting the phone in the case?

BTW, the 2nd pic doesn't open all the way when I click it. It always freezes half way through. I was hoping to get to see what you did in greater detail.

10. watchdog

it's for either credit cards or business cards.
    It was designed specifically for the Note, and it has a cutaway in the back so that you can use the camera. It's not too overly stiff and ith has a couple of little magnets to help ceep the cover closed. It is a bit thick in the case, and with the pen setup I have, theonly pockets its going in are jacket or cargo pockets.

Holding it is good, I have big hands, the pen does make it difficult to put in smaller pockets though.
    I've attached some more images.

Attached Files:

11. watchdog

Having some difficulty in the upload of these images, I'll try again.

12. watchdog

Try again to up those broken pictures.

Attached Files:

13. watchdog

Only one of the images will open properly now, the middle one, and I cannot delete the message above for some reason. Oh well.

14. watchdog

From what I can tell, when you go on the Android market, it will only show you apps for your current OS. After I got the Honeycomb upgrade for my HTC Flyer, I was able to find apps that will only work with Android 3.0 whatever and higher, those apps would not even come up in a search for them when I was still in Gingerbread.