Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 2019: MPP/Ntrig

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Mar 19, 2019.

1. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

I have my tablet plugged into a 1080p tv. At 1080p the flicker is horrible. I can only use it at 720p. So sometimes lower DPI is better. Can anybody explain how that works?

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Probably the display rate of the TV.. It's not unusual for the panels they use to have different maximum rates at different resolutions. I have a Samsung 49 inch that does 240HZ at 720p but only 60 at 1080p

One other slight possibility if its a fairly new display and you are watching video is that the computer could be triggering the 24Hz "cinema mode" > I've seen that on Sony and LG TVs.
    Hope that's some help.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  3. kurt corbin

Yep. 1080p is 50i Hz, and 720p is 60p Hz. Actually, I knew that, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder. As for tablet displays, how do the display rates compare between 4k and 2k?

4. kurt corbin

Dear desertlap, Thanks again, and here's a better question. I know that flicker can result from having a FPS rate coming from my gpu that my display's refresh rate can't keep up with. Since my display flickers at 1080p / 50i Hz, but not at 720p / 60p Hz, I wonder whether I can lower the FPS of my gpu to the equivalent of 50i HZ or below, to accommodate the 1080p / 50i setting for my display. Would I do that in device manager?

So I was wondering what the frame rate of the 620 gpu in the 9 pro is and how that might be related to Samsung's choice of display. Seems like that info would be here, but it isn't.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If we are talking about a tv this could get complicated, but I'd start with the television first.

For instance, if you are connecting via HDMI, check the TV's documentation as to which HDMI port they recommend for a computer. On my Sony for instance, it's HDMI3 and it supports 59Hz which is the native rate of the 620 display adapter. HDMI 3 on my tv also turns off overscan so that you get pixel to pixel mapping.

On this same TV if I connect to HDMI 1 it defaults to 30Hz and there is about 4% overscan which cuts off a portion of the taskbar.

Second, verify your cable and/or the USBC/TB3 to video adapter. A lot of them default to video over USB instead of thunderbolt and the range of sync rates and resolution vary from adapter to adapter.

Last but not least, if you get that all sorted out, our experience with TVs and computers is that though they "best" guess" on sync and resolution, they often get it wrong. At that point your best option is to go in the advanced display settings on the display setting and create a custom display profile.

TLDR; Not a simple straightforward response, but hopefully some of the above stuff will help.

Also:There is a sister site to this forum called avsforum which is focused on televisions and it's like this forum with lots of helpful members. I'm sure you will find people with your specific tv and might have more specific information.