Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 2019: MPP/Ntrig

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Mar 19, 2019.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

This is the new thread for all things Notebook 9 Pro 2019 split from the original Notebook 9 Pen 13 & 15" 2019 thread

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So a few additional observations now that it's in it's own thread.

Battery life is mediocre so far. I attempted to use it most of the day but it died out mid afternoon. Disappointing since the GB2 I was using in similar circumstances lasted all day under similar work load with 30% to spare.

Display is good but not great. Out of the box it's not calibrated very well and was quite blue. It was easy to calibrate though. However the gamut is rather low in SRGB at about 80%. The other thing is that accuracy widely varies dependent on screen brightness and gets really off both at low (about 25%) or high (above 90%) brightness settings.

The caveat to the above is that this is only one sample and my screen might not match yours

No bluescreens or other software glitches. Performance wise, experientially it seems about equal to the Surface Pro 6 I have on my desk at the moment. I haven't had a chance to formally bench mark it though. Having 16GB RAM is a nice change over the previous model which could only be had in 8GB.

I like the pen feel in hand and the pressure sensitivity seems especially easy to modulate. I think I already posted that it doesn't work properly in Photoshop Express, but have already been told that's an Adobe issue and will get fixed soon. I do wish there was someway to store or attach the pen to the system though.

Keyboard is on the bouncy side but has more travel than a MacBook pro. Trackpad is fine, nothing exceptional either good or bad.

I think I already mentioned that it's lighter in hand than it looks like it would be and is among the better balanced systems when used as a tablet.

My $.02 for the day

PS: Not a fan of 16:9 screens especially in a "pro" system that is marketed toward business

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did your Samsung rep mention why they like to stick to 16:9 1080p so much? You already noted how it wasn't achieving great battery life or great color accuracy, so maybe this is more about catering to some special business need that I can't quite fathom?

Trying to understand the logic in sticking with low quality IPS panels, while Samsung Display offers high grade IPS and now OLED panels to competitiors has perplexed me relentlessly since CES. Help! :eek:

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. desertlap

So in answer to some of your questions, they did say that with laptops specifically the market wants 16:9

As to the less than stellar display on this unit, it could be that I just got a poor sample and that another unit might be better. In our companies experience the only companies where the displays are always uniform in quality are Apple and Microsoft with the surface devices. Calibrating and testing each display is expensive.

One additional insight that applies to Samsung in general and helps explain some things is that Samsung the chip and display maker and Samsung the pc maker are for all intents almost separate companies. We were told at one point that Samsung the PC vendor was treated like any other customer by the chip and display sides to the point where they have to compete with other customers for instance if the supply of a component is constrained.

PS: so after I wrote the above, I decided to see which SSD was in my unit. It's not a Samsung but a Hynix model. Which is good news in one sense as its one of the faster SSD out there

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  5. fiswipes

fiswipes Pen Pal - Newbie

If this was used as a tablet -- wouldn't anything over 1080p just be overkill?
    It kinda makes sense that 2-in-1s stick with FHD, otherwise things would be too small to touch and just all around wacky.
    1080p is the standard, but its still pretty beautiful for the most part -- unless you've got super-vision.

6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's about HiDPI, not screen real estate. On a 15" screen you want 4k so that you can do 200% scaling and get GUI, text, everything the same size as 1080p but with 4x pixel density. This is what Apple does with every iPad and Mac. They call it "Retina" but it's HiDPI.

For a gaming-only 15" I wouldn't mind 1080p but for hours of work with Word documents or creating game mods it makes a huge difference for my eyestrain. I sure wouldn't throw $1800 at a 15" device with 1080p.

Part 1: What is HiDPI and Why Does It Matter? https://medium.com/elementaryos/what-is-hidpi-and-why-does-it-matter-b024eabea20d

Part 2: Top 3 Misconceptions About HiDPI https://medium.com/elementaryos/top-3-misconceptions-about-hidpi-f5ef493d7bf8

Part 3: HiDPI Is More Important Than 4K https://medium.com/elementaryos/hidpi-is-more-important-than-4k-b1b9bb110b43

desertlap likes this.
  7. desertlap

Those are good primers on the subject. My specific technical expertise is display technology so I probably get in to the nits more than most and there are a huge number of factors in what makes a "good" display. Not to mention the additional complexity of your eyes.

I have seen awful 1080p displays (even ones that tout IPS) and superb 1280*800 displays (used in a couple of specialized Lenovo tablets)
    Things that can affect the perception are IPS vs. SVA (both haver their pros and cons, e.g IPS having greater gamut and SVA faster pixel response generally), pixel level contrast, overall brightness, the quality and type of backlight and even the physical materials assembly such as what apple does with the iPad Pro and new Air with laminated displays as a good example or what the low end pc displays do with the plastic top cover as a bad one.

On the human side, the amount of rods versus cones in your eyes will affect how you perceive a display. For instance if you have more than average amount of rods, high contrast displays look better to you while if you more cones than average , you will be more sensitive to the color gamut and accuracy. I for instance am apparently very sensitive to color response.

And of course visual acuity is highly variable in the general population and those with higher than average will want high resolution displays.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    dellaster likes this.
  8. desertlap

And BTW: Those with more than the average amount of rods in their eyes also tend to like e-ink displays such as in the kindles.

9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@desertlap — There certainly are a lot of visual factors. Thanks for running through some of them.

I was just addressing the common question of "why desire a higher resolution when it makes everything too small to see/read?" that almost always comes up when some of us express disappointment in a device's low resolution. HiDPI, as those articles point out, is not well understood by most people.

10. desertlap

So as an update to my earlier post, the 9 pro Samsung sent me was defective and died completely Wednesday. The good news is that they quickly sent me another. I'm still setting it up and configuring it, but I can say that this unit has a substantially improved display right out of the box. Much less blue tinged and brighter to boot.

I'll check it out more thoroughly over the next few days, but I think my first was a bum unit and this one may be more representative of the model.