Samsung Notebook 9 Pen (2019): Wacom EMR

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Some USB devices are built-in such as a finger print reader.

If you go to Windows Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus, you'll see a list of all USB things. For each one, you can double click to open the properties, click the "Events" tab and typically see the VID and PID in the text box labeled "Information".

Once you locate the device, you could present it to Samsung support: "Foo (USB Device: VID: 0x4E8 PID: 0x730A) is draining the battery while sleeping." where "Foo" is the name of the device.

The support person is unlikely to solve this, but if it gets escalated, it might reach an engineer.

And/or maybe you get lucky and it's something you can disable.

2. Art_N00b

Questions:

-- Can the S-Pen action button be remapped through some hackery like editing the registry or using a 3rd party app?

-- What's the frequency of the screen's PWM?

3. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

One notable area of improvement is pulse-width modulation as its frequency is now much higher to impact fewer users who may be sensitive to onscreen flickering. We would have preferred it to be absent completely, but this is at least a step in the right direction.

The display backlight flickers at 3049 Hz (Likely utilizing PWM) Flickering detected at a brightness setting of 99 % and below. There should be no flickering or PWM above this brightness setting.

The frequency of 3049 Hz is quite high, so most users sensitive to PWM should not notice any flickering.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsu...QAA-i7-8550U-Convertible-Review.401076.0.html

thatcomicsguy and Art_N00b like this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So I got to play with the new Notebook 9 Pen at B&H Photo today......was very impressed with it....was nice and thin despite the 15-inch size. I wish the screen res was higher....but it seemed to be a nicer screen then its Predecessor. I've played with the old one at best buy a few times....and the new model is much nicer. Especially now that they reduced the annoyingly large bottom bezel. And the keyboard and trackpad were super comfy to type on and use.

However.....for Art purposes.....one thing concerns me.....when you flip it into Yoga Mode.......it doens't go perfectly flat....nor does it lock into the place....so arm pressure while drawing can very easily makes it kind of flex........for serious drawing usage....I can only imagine how annoying this would be....but Has anyone who has this (or the predecessor) figured out a solution to keep it firm while drawing on it?

Art_N00b likes this.
  5. Art_N00b

I have the first gen which folds all the way back, no problem.

The 3rd gen product page is hosted here:
    https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...notebook-9-pen-15----nvidia---np950sbe-x01us/

... and the 4th pic shows it folded all the way back:
    https://image-us.samsung.com/Samsun..._032_Dynamic-9_Blue.jpg?$product-details-jpg$

So hopefully they all do that and the unit you played with was just broken or was being jammed up by a security cable or something.

But I have a potential solution anyway. On the 1st gen, I can put one of these bean bag balls underneath the display to achieve a stable 20 degree angle:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FA0XQK/

HTH

I totally agree on the resolution. An up-close 15" screen at 1080 is not so great. And there are also 22" display tablets at 1080. I really wish all these manufacturers would start embracing 1440. It's a nice bump in ppi compared to 1080 (at any given display size) and doesn't require as much cpu, gpu or battery power as 4k. Also, Windows 10 seems to handle that resolution quite well.

WillAdams and darkmagistric like this.
  6. Art_N00b

So I decided to "make the rounds" to suggest to the manufacturers that they bump from 1080 to 1440.

I started with Samsung, but I couldn't find a way to submit a suggestion. Every contact channel was very specific like "support for an order issue" or "tech support for a product". Maybe I should just use one of those anyway and hope it gets passed on. Any suggestions or insights are welcome.

For the smaller companies like Huion and XP-Pen, you can just email them directly, easy-peasy.

XP-Pen responded to thank me for the suggestion and that it was forwarded to the PM department...without telling me what the PM department is. I presume "product management". A different person at XP-Pen wrote back a day later to mention that they forwarded my suggestion to both R&D and PM, and to ask if 1440 might not make things too small on the display. I said for 15" and up, it would not and that Windows supports UI scaling so the user can adjust as needed.

Huion also responded:
    Only mystery there is "In the next, we..." ... did they leave out the word "week", "month" or "year"?

Wacom... I haven't bothered so far. Won't a 1440 entry level display tablet encroach on their hot, fan-based 4k displays? Maybe I shouldn't second guess and just send in the suggestion.

Anyway we now know that thinking, responsive human beings are at XP-Pen and Huion and that Huion is already on this.

How should I contact Samsung? Should I contact Wacom? Anyone else?

thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What the-??

I've sent out a bunch of these kinds of emails over the years and nobody ever gets back to me.

Did you send it as a "Superchat" or something?

Though.., I have to say, the dev for Paint Tool SAI may have possibly responded to my repeated request for a selection tool toggle feature by adding, (wait for it), a selection tool toggle feature!

When SAI is touch capable, I'm jumping ship!

8. Art_N00b

I just used regular email... maybe their responsiveness is new. And XP-Pen listed a California office address in their sig.

And sir, I give you full credit for stimulating the selection toggle tool feature in Paint Tool SAI. ::salute-smilie::

9. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone try one of those paper feel protectors for the HP Envy 360 15.6? I kind of want one after trying one for my Tab S7+