Samsung Notebook 9 Pen (2019): Wacom EMR

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Mar 19, 2019.

1. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, but hopefully the below will clarify my setup and needs:
    I already have one main computer (also a laptop, albeit a very large one) which I bought a few years ago as a desktop replacement. I use it exclusively for working from home since it is too big and heavy to carry around, especially on trips. I have it connected to two 24" monitors and use a mechanical keyboard.

My other computer, the X1 Extreme (15.6"), which is the one I may be replacing with the NB 9 Pen is my portable computer which I take on trips / vacations, use outside etc.
    (I have not opened it yet since I may want to get the NB 9 non-pen edition or at least wait till an official review comes out),
    So I do not need any external monitor for that one.

I hope that clarifies my usage and needs.

2. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks again for the feedback
    To be safe, given there are still no official reviews with comparative battery life and keyboard feel and travel I returned the NB Pen unopened to avoid $240 restocking fee.
    I might wait for the 2019 Notebook 9 given it has the 75Wh Hexa battery.
    I tried the old (2018?) non-pen notebook in store today and keyboard may be decent enough.
    Hopefully 15.0 vs 15.6 will be manageable for the times I am away from from home and need to use it for work and need maximum real estate.
    Down to these contenders
    LG Gram 15
    Asus Zenbook 15 UX533FD
    Upcoming 2019 Samsung Notebook 9 15 (75Wh)
    2919NB 9 Pen (only 54Wh may be a deal breaker.

3. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Tried the old Notebook 9 Pen (13.3") and old Notebook 9 15" in a store today. I was impressed with the NB 9 keyboard; it felt noticeably better than the pen version; given that and the fact that it and the new generation have a big 75 Wh battery, I may wait for the new 2019 NB 9 15" and not try the NB 9 Pen (only a 54Wh battery) assuming Samsung's NB 9 Pen and NB 9 keyboards have not changed from 2018 to 2019.
    If i wait for the 2019 NB 9 (non-pen) to come out, I hope can live with a 15" screen instead of 15.6" and that I am willing to let go of my Lenovo X1 Extreme (mainly due to short battery life and disappointngly high keyboard actuation force).
    Ironically a big part of the reason I sold my Dell XPS 15 9560 and got the Lenovo X1 Extreme is that a good keyboard was a major priority for me. Lenovo seems to use several keyboard suppliers in the SAME model, so they can feel different! :(

4. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, I have to thank you again!!!!!!
    While at home I do not need the second screen as I stated, I have a trip coming up where I will be working remotely for a week (one week vacation, followed by one working remotely).
    I just looked at the Asus Zen Screen (did not check it out originally since I had not intended to have a second monitor given at home I have two nice Dell 24" monitors hooked up to my main laptop which is used for working at home).
    I will probably pick one up and use it on the trip since the 2nd monitor makes me a lot more productive for work and the Zen Screen is portable enough and the price is reasonable enough.

Edit - Updating post after checking reviews:
    Going to look for alternatives since too many reviews say the Zen Screen is too fragile to travel with, even when packed safely (internal damage in one reviewer's case). Looking for other brands of USB powered portable monitors (15.6")
    Edit 2 - May try it anyway (store has it in stock) since one guy has used it for one year on the road without issues.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  5. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I just happened to read about one on Kickstarter the other day. A $199 15.6" 4K portable that's powered off USB-C. 700g, 6mm thick, aluminum case.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/C-FOR...your-laptop-and-Nintendo-Switch.418233.0.html

One known downside is that it won't ship till June.

njweb likes this.
  6. chucklepunch

chucklepunch Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody who uses photoshop for heavy lifting (hundreds of layers, smart objects, high res, gigabyte working file sizes) happen to own the version with the nvidia mx150?

I’ve been through a few laptops trying to match the performance of my 2013 Lenovo X230T and hoping his guy might finally get the job done.

7. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the ZenScreen and it works great so far. Thanks again. I am using a padded Thule Gauntlet 3.0 15" to protect it though, especially when traveling.
    Had to remove the ZenScreen from the Thule case for flying; TSA agent also opened the included Asus sleeve to look at the screen and proceeded to place the Asus screen facing down in bin after closing the cover. :( No damage thankfully.
    Can't wait for the days when opening electronics will no longer be necessary (read about new scanners, but seems they may be 5 years away)

I did have some issues with Citrix work virtual desktop not getting the content displayed full screen on the ZenScreen (acting as my 2nd screen), but after playing with display settings in Windows 10, managed to find the right combination of settings.

8. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

This looks like a very good EMR. Brightness is way up there, 500nits outdoor mode? (whatever that is).

But I swore to myself I would not invest in anything until Intel released 10nm. Now that Intel will be shipping these soon, I will need to wait. Should be great around Sept.
    But I need to buy Samsung.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

10. MacErus

MacErus Pen Pal - Newbie

How is this compared to the old 9 Pro?

Is it a large improvement?

Is it an additional $600~$700 improvement?