Samsung Notebook 9 Pen (2019): Wacom EMR

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Mar 19, 2019.

1. fiswipes

fiswipes Pen Pal - Newbie

In other words, the laptop is good but you can't use "sleep mode" unplugged.

What's funny is that the other laptop I was considering, Lenovo thinkpad x1 yoga 3rd gen, had the same battery drain issue. So did its carbon predecessor. It was never fixed on the yoga. Who's to say Samsung will fix their's? They aren't necessarily laptop focused at the end of the day.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    twitfri likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That sounds annoying.

I wonder if my N9P does the same thing..?

I find with Win 10 and fast booting, that coming back from hibernation is quick enough for me; 14 seconds from cold to password entry. (I just timed it). I don't use mine like an Android device, so that satisfies my requirements. It takes about 14 seconds just to sit down and get into a position where I'm ready to type anyway.

twitfri likes this.
  3. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the detailed review! Couple of quick follow-up questions:
    1) How do you like the new Notebook Pen 9 keyboard feel / key travel? (I am coming from a Lenovo X1 Extreme and one of the main reasons I bought it is the keyboard).

2) Any update on real world battery life now that you have had it for about a week? (You mentioned initially "expecting 9 hrs and so far nothing tells me otherwise").

I bought the 15" version of the Notebook Pen 9 yesterday, but the seller has a restocking fee once the laptop box is opened... (Too bad Best Buy and MicroCenter do not sell it, yet).
    So I am debating whether to open it or maybe return it unopened and order from Samsung directly (I wanted it immediately so picked it up from another seller).
    Even Amazon (not where I bought it) seems to imply they do not accept opened laptops.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  4. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

The keyboard is ok. I don't know how to measure the key travel but it definitely feels better than the 2018 version which felt hollow. This one has a more assured keypress and I don't make any more mistakes than usual while typing. Also, its not loud which is nice. I have no complaints.

Real world battery life is 9 hrs for my usage, which is a mix of browsing, office documents, programming (compiling code), some video streaming, writing in OneNote, and reading using Kindle, Nook apps. I am really pleased with the consistency of this battery life, so much so that I used the Samsung settings software to cap the max charge to 85% which increases battery life span. I don't use it all day so I can easily go about 3 days before needing to charge.

I prefer shopping on Amazon and only buy Prime listings for laptops as if it is defective they always refund 100% of money, even when the defect is unpredictable or bad battery life. Samsung was a bit of pain to return last time because they work with an outside agency it seems and they once returned my return because the RMA they gave me was wrong.

Anyway I think that most people who buy it would want to keep this laptop so hope you don't have to deal with return.

njweb likes this.
  5. twitfri

A question about your N9Pro 2019. Does it have a 'flicker free' setting in Samsung settings app under Display? Do you find that you have less eye strain compared to other computers you have used in the past?

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No flicker free mode, sadly.

The screen uses pulse width modulation (PWM) to control brightness, so I keep it at 100% to keep my eyes from bugging out. -When I'm in low light conditions, I set up a night-time profile in the color settings in the Intel HD Graphics that I can switch on when needed. The backlight stays at full, but the pixels serve as sunglasses. It's not great for color accuracy, but it's fine for basic drawing and any regular computer tasks.

WillAdams and twitfri like this.
  7. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot; your feedback on keyboard feel and battery life really helps. Sounds like a winner. 9 hours is pretty solid.
    My only thought though, since I could live without the pen functionality, is whether I should perhaps wait for the new 2019 Notebook 9 15" (non-Pen edition) with much larger battery (75 Wh Hexa battery) and 19 hrs claimed batter life (vs 54Wh and 15 hrs claimed for NB 9 Pen edition). Unfortunately the release date of the non-pen version is TBC.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  8. twitfri

I thought those were non-touch as well. If touch and pen are not important definitely wait for the larger battery. Without Wacom and touch sensors sucking up battery, the battery life will be insane. I have no trouble believing it would be 15 hrs of actual use with 75Wh battery. Samsung doesn't seem to care much about laptops release as it doesn't make them enough money.

Meanwhile LG has their 14" 2-in-1 with 75Wh battery and Wacom AES pen if you want to check it out. It seems to be a Best Buy exclusive.

njweb likes this.
  9. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks!
    For my needs 14" is too small, since I use it for work at times when away from home. In fact I did not realize that the NB 9 Pen I bought (still sealed) is 15.0" and not 15.6". Wondering if that will be a deal breaker or not. I know it is 'only' .6 inches difference but when I am online for 12 hours for work (on days I am traveling and work remotely to extend my time away from home at the tail end of a vacation away) and have multiple windows open, I need all the real estate I can get. 15.6 is great for balancing portability with a reasonable screen size for productivity.
    If my Lenovo X1E had better battery life, I would probably stick with it (even though the NB 9 smaller size and weight are nice pluses, assuming I can live the .6 smaller screen).
    I considered the 17" LG Gram but it is just a bit too big and I don't work away from home that much to bother with a 17" (have another laptop with 2 monitors attached as my primary work from home setup). Also the LG's keyboard and build quality are not ideal (love the aluminum case of the NB 9 Pen).

I wonder when the non touch, non-pen NB 9 for 2019 will be available! That would make the decision easier. Also still can't find any reviews online (no official reviews yet and just one user video who ended up returning it).
    I assume the keyboard travel will be the same on the non-pen version?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just have to ask....have you considered just getting a secondary USB-powered Monitor? From the way you described you're work flow/screen needs.....that would seem to be the most practical solution. The Asus Zen Screen for example would probably serve you quite well.
    ZenScreen-MB16AC-on-the-move.jpg

njweb likes this.