Samsung Notebook 9 Pen 15” & Microsoft wintab issues

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by AnandSr, Apr 1, 2021.

1. AnandSr

AnandSr Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all: I am fortunate to have been a viewer on this forum for the last 1 year and blown away by the amazing wealth of advice and expertise shared here. I finally signed up.

I have a Samsung notebook 9 pen 15” laptop which I love. I also own a galaxy book 12 (2017). I have installed the Microsoft wintab driver as suggested and it has worked great on the galaxy book but not on the Samsung notebook 9 pen. I have tried installing and reinstalling several times and below are the issues:

- installs properly (the wintab32 and dhid DLL files) but when it installs it does very quickly (not sure if that is a sign)
    - pressure sensitivity does not work after install in PS CS6, Krita, Painter. I use these programs and paid heavily for them. In photoshop CS6 the brushes don’t work at all. The stroke is stuck at the initial point and after a few seconds a straight line gets drawn to the end of the stroke. Very frustrating.

none of these issues happen on the galaxy book 12. Only on the Samsung 9 pen laptop. I have reinstalled several version of windows 10 from 1703 to the latest and reset many times. Nothing works.

I do know that I can turn on windows ink mode and work with the programs (it works fine) except photoshop cs 6. That is my main program so any advice would be immensely appreciated!!!! Perhaps by other owners of the Samsung notebook 9 series.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2021
    dellaster likes this.
  2. AnandSr

AnandSr Pen Pal - Newbie

any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

3. AnandSr

AnandSr Pen Pal - Newbie

Any advice from someone please?

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Can another forum member help @AnandSr ? I tried to pull up the specs for the Notebook 9, but the Samsung site froze up and wouldn't display them...

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I honestly forgot what the wintab solution for Samsung products was, Samsung products don't support Wacoms Feel Driver, but I do believe one workaround was using Microsofts Wintab Driver for the Surface Pro 4.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498

That link you can download the Wintab drivers for the Pro 4, I honestly can't remember if this driver will work well (or at all) with Samsung products, but I do remember this being discussed years ago.

<update> totally missed the part where you said you already tried that driver. Odd that it would work on the Galaxy Book but not the Notebook 9. No clue on a fix for that, so I would default to just going towards CC.

There is another solution of sorts, I hate to be the one to say this.....but accept the lose and just plunk down for the monthly Photoshop CC subscription (Photography Bundle is cheaper).

With Photoshop CC, Adobe opened the program to Microsoft Ink so for Photoshop CC, Wintab is no longer required. Also for higher res devices with multi-touch screens, CC made alot of changes to Photoshop with as far as how the program scales and how touch behaves. I used to use a Samsung Series 7 Slate years back, bought Photoshop CS5 and all wintabed up.

But then I got a Surface Pro 3, even aside from no longer needing wintab, because of the higher resolution and scaling features, I found CS5 to be somewhat unusable on my Pro 3. CC really just fixed every problem that made CS5 crummy on the Pro 3.

Between ClipStudio and Photoshop CC, I honestly haven't had the need for Wintab in years.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...but accept the lose and just plunk down for the monthly Photoshop CC subscription...>>

Not being a PhotoShop user, I didn't want to say this, but this was my thought, too. There's a point where work arounds simply become too limited and cumbersome. They can also be quite fragile...

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah.., I never could get Photoshop CS of any flavor working on my N9P. -A real shame, I think.

I run CC by necessity and don't much like it, but it has become somewhat acceptable in recent versions; it only freezes sometimes when performing basic selection functions. Pathetic in principle, but not rife with guaranteed hair-pulling frustration as it was in early incarnations.

CS5 was one of my all-time favorite programs, period; it was rock solid stable and fast, and on the old Penabled systems, the drawing was incredibly smooth and enjoyable.

I actually pulled out my old Toshiba Portege M200 to dust off and bring up to speed; I'm lending it to a friend who wants to play with a stylus computer. I was surprised at how nice it felt to draw on. We've lost some ineffable quality with modern machines. -Don't get me wrong; I like drawing on the N9P and my Dell Canvas desk machine just fine, I've become very comfortable with both, but.., man those old Tablet PCs really perfected things in a way I've not seen since.

In any case, I do 95% of my work these days in ClipStudio Paint; anything which requires actual drawing.

CSP allows you to switch between Wintab and Windows Ink, which I actually do sometimes, depending on the work. I mostly stay on Wintab, which is better for tight accuracy on picky details and acceptable for broad, fast strokes. Windows Ink is strong on big, fast strokes but weak on tight accuracy.

Drawing in Photoshop CC is an absolute misery compared to CSP. The touch interface alone makes it worthwhile, but the brush engine is lightyears ahead of Adobe's. If you can at all afford to switch to using CSP, I can't recommend it enough (for drawing).

Steve S likes this.
  8. AnandSr

AnandSr Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond to my questions and the detailed advice. I am going to give up and switch to clip studio and also try out photoshop CC. I am at least relieved to know that others have also faced the weird issue on notebook 9 pen.

Much respect and thanks again all!!!

thatcomicsguy likes this.