Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, 13'' and 15'' (2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Dec 13, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably a more mundane and annoying reason for the explanation in the US. It probably hasn't received the required regulatory approvals yet. The government shutdown probably factors in to that

thatcomicsguy and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah compared to Galaxy Phones coming out this month they probably forgot they made notebooks too.

3. kesseki

kesseki Pen Pal - Newbie

Zbook pens should still work on this, right? I'm assuming it's pretty much the same tech as older model Notebook 9s.

There are a fair amount of reviews in Korean on youtube, this is the only one I could find in English.

Not a lot from artist perspectives that I can see.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the pen for the HP ZBook won't work.

I mean, it'll work, but badly. -The reason being that Samsung devices have their pens set to register at a distance from the screen which is about a half cm further (or closer?) than the standard used with all other Wacom "Penabled" style pens. So you get this really annoying and un-fixable offset of about 5 mm at all times. It's basically useless, which is a shame, since I have a bunch of those old pens.

The best alternative pen I've found for these models is this one:

[​IMG]
    The "Smardi S Pen Plus, 2nd Edition".

It's a well-designed holder for a Samsung toothpick pen, and it works really well. It has a nice weight and the S Pen it comes with (designed for a Galaxy Note 7, I believe), has excellent response in terms of IAF and pressure curve. The button can be a little hard to find sometimes since it's all smooth, but otherwise I highly recommend it. I've been using it for over a year now, and don't leave home without it.

The price is reasonable too, at $40. -It is a third party device, so while they appear to be readily available, you might want to pick one up now since nobody else makes anything like it, and the company might simply vanish one day. -Wacom made a Bamboo model which also works well, but they sold out and didn't make any more of them. If you can even find one on eBay, they cost upward to $100! I did manage to find one and it's a good stylus, but I find I just don't use it, preferring the Smardi Pen.

EDIT******

I was looking around, and Samsung sells this one which looks really nice, too. It looks like the same design idea but with a different body:

[​IMG]

It looks as though there will be replacement pens of comfortable size available for quite some time to come.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

isn't that the Tab S4 pen?

Why wouldn't the Zbook Stylus work,doesn't it work with the Samsung Galaxy Book 12?

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Maybe it does. It depends on whether HP and Samsung are in alignment on the two product lines. I don't believe they are, but I could be wrong. There may be some misleading information floating around.

I know that I've posted false reports before about pen compatibility, let them sit around for days, and had to go back to make corrections when I realized I was wrong.

-If you're just doing a quick test, (as I did when I first tried my old Penabled styli on my Samsung N9P), it appears at first impression to be a good fit. Only after trying to sit down and actually use it in earnest does one realize that the offset is annoying as hell and that it can't be calibrated away.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

gotcha!

8. twitfri

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

13" 8GB RAM and 256GB NVMe for $1399 doesn't bode well for the pricing of a 15" 16GB 512GB machine. I'll be sticking with my 2018 N9P 15" at those prices.

10. twitfri