Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, 13'' and 15'' (2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Humm I wouldn't assume too much about some random guy posting waffle on a forum. Someone with more experience than me could make me look dumb with a few flicks of their keyboard. My comments are mainly opinion based on what I have read and watched, as well as first hand use of the Gen7 and Gen8 15" Pro models.

I'm sure more than a few toddlers have been responsible of the early demise of a laptop or two. I'm sure there are suitably sized dog crates that could be re-purposed for laptop defensive purposes (highly none PC of course). Joking aside my machines have worn well although I don't throw them about.

I noticed that BB have deals on both the 13" and 15" 2018 models at the moment, with further savings for the Open Box units. Your extra special Samsung discounted price trumps the Open Box prices by about $100. The 13" machine @under $700 seems like a pretty good deal, even with the 8GB limit. I agree with you though 16GB is the way to go long term, and upgrading isn't an option sadly. Samsung seem to screw up a lot with their spec. details on their own website, which is kind of disturbing to say the least.

The machine you linked to is the 2018 i7 Gen8 model with a 256GB drive...it's the older model now that the 2019 machine has been announced. The 2018 models have the Intel i7 8550U cpu although there are some i5's as well. The Gen8 cpu is the only difference between a 2018 and 2017 Gen7 device.

chucklepunch likes this.
  2. chucklepunch

chucklepunch Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, the video evidence is observable so definitely not waffle. I would have never found that myself I don't think, so many kudos there.

I'm not on much of a time crunch (I hope). Said toddler initiated this entire search when someone less attentive than myself didn't stop him from giving my Lenovo x230t a good toss across the room. Must have hit hard, because it survived 4 years of BMX commuting. So as of late the bottom 1/3 of the screen glitches and gets a dark gradient when the screen moves around much (such as when, I dunno, drawing on it). Just doing replacement research so I'm not caught with my pants down when the thing finally does go full belly up.

At such low prices almost any model is tempting.. but I'll sit on my hands for now. I know I'd regret not having 16GB available the first time ZBrush chugs to a halt or I flip horizontal on a 6000x6000 PSCC file.

3. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Huh? Isn't it more like last year the Pro was 13 or 15, and the Pen was only 13, and now it's reversed?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. Shizaru

I guess it depends on how you look at it. You could view it as the Pro Pen ending with the 2018 models, but based on spec. and construction etc. the 2019 models appear to be a progression on the 2017/18 machines. I could be entirely wrong but that's how I tend to rationalise it.

Samsung's naming convention/schema is a confusing mess from a punters perspective, which causes endless amounts of confusion for anyone attempting to make an informed purchase decision, or discuss machines.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Take this for the marketing speak that it surely is, but at CES they were telling everyone that the new models were almost completely re-designed. However one of the engineers said it really was true and they had completely reengineered the cooling system, power management and audio components for instance.

Marty and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. chucklepunch

chucklepunch Pen Pal - Newbie

There is both 13 and 15 models of the pen variety.

edit: Nevermind. Now I see what you meant ha.

7. Shizaru

Unfortunately it's all a bit too confusing, are we talking about the evolution of the N9 Pro Pen models, the N9 Pen line or something in between? If Samsung phase out the N9 Pro Pen devices I guess that goes some way towards answering the question. Maybe they are pitching at a more consumer level market with these new machines?

If we view it as a replacement for the 2018 N9 Pro Pen then they have obviously retooled and made some adjustments to the circuitry and cooling, but there is hardly any significant difference judging by the images of the internals etc.

In reality the new 2019 N9 Pen model is more deserving of the Pro suffix than previous iterations in some respects. The 2018 model didn't have thunderbolt (which a Pro device should have had in 2018), they hobbled the microSD interface, and audio quality was sub par etc.

Imho 'completely re-engineered' seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me when it's more a kin to a progressive update, which involved some engineering adjustments to suit.

What significant change is there to the cooling other than making it fit in the smaller case, and to cope with the Nvidia dGPU? The older models ran pretty cool in normal use cases given the performance, and form factor. The 2018 Gen8 model benefits from a minor under volt, so it will be interesting to see how the new model copes by default when dissipating heat under load.

They redesigned the daughter board, which no longer has an ac pin connector or audio jack, replaced by two thunderbolt ports and retaining the wifi module afaik.

The main board has been tweaked to fit the smaller case, loses the HDMI and USB-A ports, while adding a single USB-C, relocated audio jack. Plus general improvements, efficiency gains etc. in component layout I imagine. A higher speed microSD slot has been added and moved to the front edge. Finger print scanner has been added to the keyboard. The power switch looks to be more flush.

The screen tech is pretty much the same and the case construction is really just a scaled down version of older models, with a less complex structure.

[​IMG]

With a closer side by side inspection the 2019 model does appear to have much less webbing present in the chassis design, which may make it less ridged than the previous machines. I can't say I'm keen on that approach with respect to rigidity and long term integrity. The 2019 N9 Pen seems very dependent on friction clips along the edges, rather than more mechanical fixings found on the older design. Again I'm not overly impressed with that aspect either. Although I'm pleased to see the machines internals are still user accessible, even if the NVMe is the only user upgradable part. I like to get in there from time to time to clear out dust from the boards and fans, so I can't complain too much there. Hopefully the clips are easy to separate with a bit of plastic, without damaging any clips?

Iirc MS were bragging about building in reinforcement webbing's into the chassis design of the Surface Book 2, to improve structural integrity of the device, which is understandable.

The older 2018 chassis design looks more pro and robust to me from an engineering perspective. Although modern clips and materials can result in some very solid feeling chassis. We need Lisa at @MobileTechReview to get her hands on one for some of her usual flex testing, and general poking about etc.

It's pretty impressive how they are honing the electronics down in these devices, and integrating so much on two relatively small boards. Which is all well and good when things are working as expected. But not so good if you have wifi issues or something like that, which can be easily changed on other machines, assuming they don't vendor lock hardware.

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know I hinted at this before, but did engineers mention why they didn't use the new 15.6" AMOLED panels if they really did a complete re-design? Those panels are confirmed made by Samsung Display.

It seems like a huge wasted opportunity to give it to competitors before Samsung's own premium line of notebooks...honestly, if the 15" model had OLED, I would consider flying to Korea to pick one up right now. :D

9. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

They have an "AMOLED mode." What's that supposed to mean?

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You know, that's a good point. I didn't get much chance to ask a lot of questions as the booth was VERY busy. Now that I think of it though, the only one of the new 15 inch OLED displays was on a note 9 (I think) that was behind glass and they wouldn't let anyone touch it.

As I think i mentioned, Samsung is sending out "a fully decked out 13" for me to evaluate. I'm really wondering as I read through all this what I'm actually going to get.

PS; the other thing I recall is that visually it's not super easy to tell the various models apart