Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, 13'' and 15'' (2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Looking forward to your hands on report. :)

2. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

No data on the 9pen, but according to notebookcheck,:

i7-8565U Notebook 9 pen PWM freq = ?
    i7-8550U Notebook 9 NP900X5T-X01US PWM freq = 2976
    i5-7200U Notebook 9 NP900X3N-K01US PWM freq = 210.1
    i7-7500U Notebook 9 NP900X5N-X01US PWM freq = 208.3

"The frequency of 2976 Hz is quite high, so most users sensitive to PWM should not notice any flickering."

"The frequency of 208.3 Hz is relatively low, so sensitive users will likely notice flickering and experience eyestrain at the stated brightness setting and below."

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, conventional available wisdom tells us that the psycho-active frequencies live between around 10 - 240 Hz. -Though, I would still prefer no flicker at all.

I wonder if other systems which don't flicker (like my Dell Canvas) are using the above trick or are working on true analog?

-I would guess (hope) that if they don't say PWM then they really mean it.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So our Samsung Rep is trying really hard to get me on board with their stuff. They are sending me the high end 13 for evaluation when they are available.

I'm in the market again for a home/personal system after the disappointment that I and @dstrauss had with the HP folio.

I'll post hands on impressions when it arrives. I'm especially interested in the display because I edit photos and video extensively on my home system

Shizaru, thatcomicsguy and yodamiked like this.
  5. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

That’s exciting! Did they give any indication of timing, when you could expect to receive it? Would be extremely grateful if you could check for pwm when you receive it. If no pwm, I may have to re-evaluate my plan to pick up a SP6, given how light this thing is and the fact it has the glorious S pen.

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nothing definitive other than "soon". I do know that it hasn't gotten the required certifications yet.

Samsung has been lobbying my company hard for a larger share of business and I guess they see me as an influencer and I'm not going to argue with her :)

7. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

You edit videos? You should ask her for the 15".

thatcomicsguy and Steve B like this.
  8. chucklepunch

chucklepunch Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys. Hunting around deciding between models. I was wondering if maybe someone can answer two questions for me about this specific model:
    https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...k-series-9/notebook-9-pro-133-np940x3n-k01us/

1) Is the memory upgradeable? It filters as "expandable memory" in the Samsung store but the wording is not clear.
    2) Does it have the 500nit "outdoor mode" found in the pen version? ( https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...series-9/notebook-9-pen-13-3--np930qaa-k01us/ )

Also if anyone just general experience knowledge not yet shared (with either the 13.3 Pro or the 13.3 Pen), that'd be super helpful. Thanks a bunch!

9. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

In answer to Q1 the memory is soldered. If you pause this video @1:05 you can see the internals of the 13".

and the 15" internals can be seen in this video @1:08.

and Q2 I'm not sure what the measured NIT value is but the older Gen7 and Gen8 Pro models have a daylight/outdoor mode that you can activate to boost the brightness. I haven't used my machine out doors but I can say that it's extremely bright in that mode.

I don't have any personal experience with any of the 13" models. If you read the threads on the forum you will see that the 13" Pen wasn't that well received by members here. Afaik most people on the forum went for the 15" model so first hand accounts are fairly scant for the 13" Pro and 13" Pen. Iirc the 13" Pro/Pen was/is only available with 8GB of RAM, which isn't ideal these days, which makes it less desirable when there is no upgrade option imho.

The 15" machine isn't really that big or heavy and it offers 16GB RAM and dGPU which makes it more appealing especially as a drawing device. I guess it really depends on what your wants and needs are at the end of the day. The 15" is more flexible for running 3D, light gaming, art work and is more future proof. More bang for the buck as the price difference isn't really that great considering the additional HW spec. The 2019 15" Pen Pro is a little smaller as the screen bezels have been reduced and it has respectable improvements in specification. The most obvious downside being a reduction in port flexibility. The 2019 13" is also improved and has a 16" GB RAM option, which will probably make it far more appealing than past models for a lot of buyers, who want a smaller footprint and don't need 3D graphics.

If you're set on buying a 13" machine it's probably worth waiting to see what people think of it, once reviews become available for the English speaking market, and we know the pricing. As they dropped the Pro suffix it's probably going to be around the price of the older Pro machines, possibly marginally less? The prices of the older models should also drop which could make them appealing even with their 8GB limitation. Holding off for a little while seems like the obvious thing to do.

Here's a comparison chart from the Samsung website.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    chucklepunch likes this.
  10. chucklepunch

chucklepunch Pen Pal - Newbie

Man, thanks a bunch! Lots of good info punctuated by relevant links. It’s like you know what you’re talking about!

I’m not too tied to the 13.3. I was interested in it because I’m moving to NYC and I’m the primary care person for a rampaging toddler. Which means packing a laptop while running laps around who-knows-what. The 15 does feel pretty manageable, just going by my brief BestBuy flirting. The older model 13.3 (I think older? Linked one I referenced) is on sale and my wife gets a big discount so it was dropping to the $685 range. GREAT deal if I can bump up to 16gb later. If I can’t, dealbreaker. And I think you’re right that I can’t.

I’ll hold out and see what’s coming. I do supplement my photoshop work with a rotating cast of 3D apps. So the higher end 15” is looking like a better call. Thanks!