Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, 13'' and 15'' (2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Dec 13, 2018.

1. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Looking at the ebay listings of the 13.3" new N9P from Korea, it seems they are offering all the variations, 8 GB, 16GB for RAM, 256 GB, 512 GB for Storage, and Core i3, i5, i7 for CPU. The US announcement page however only shows 16 GB RAM as standard.

https://news.samsung.com/us/introducing-samsung-notebook-9-pen-2019-for-creators/

Edit: Nevermind looks like they modified the page to make me look like a fool. Now it just says LPDDR3.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So if anyone can get their hands on a shipping product they should be able to determine if this is one of the new displays I mentioned by using something like HWINFO.

Our suppliers are saying that models from AU, LG and Samsung have the flicker reduction hardware.

I do want to point out that even having one of these companies displays isn't proof outright , but that coupled with new model numbers would strongly hint at that

3. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you have any references? I have only found this Apple patent application from 2008.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20100091048

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sadly I don't, my info is based on conversations with our vendors and is thus 3rd hand ;). If I have verifiable source info, I'll share with the group

Shizaru likes this.
  5. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a glimpse inside the new 2019 S-pen literally. :D

[​IMG]

Here's the source video...

It looks like the Bluetooth S-Pen is compatible...
    [​IMG]

Source video...

And then there is the 2019 Notebook 9 Pro flipper with Pen

It doesn't seem to be aimed at the art crowd though, more executive business appeal imho. No silo for a small S-pen. It seems odd just catering for a full size pen? No dGPU which kills it for 3D artists and casual gamers. It looks a bit chunky and hard edged for my taste.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Marty, thatcomicsguy and DRTigerlilly like this.
  6. kurt corbin

From the Korean review:

"The magnet is attached to the top of the panel to prevent breakage due to opening of the top plate during movement."

I wonder whether this will interfere with the EMR.

7. Shizaru

I would imagine that the same system for driving the monitor will be delivered across the range of new devices.

Are you interested in the Notebook 9 Pro over the N9 Pen? I'm struggling to see why someone would prefer the 'Pro' over the lowly attributed 'Pen'. Specification wise they seem to compare equally in terms of performance (based on published spec.) and connectivity etc. the only significant differences seem to be the aesthetics and absence of a stowed pen on the so called 'Pro' model. Oh and a finger print reader in the power switch, which also looks to be flush which is a plus. A report I read also stated that the 'Pro' will ship with only 8GB RAM and a 256GB NVME. It appears to be more a matter of taste than enhanced performance and features to me.

From my possibly skewed perspective the 15" 'Pen' model seems more pro than the 'Pro' with its siloed pen, dGPU, 16GB RAM and 512GB NVMe. The styling of the 'Pen' model also appeals to me far more than the styling of the 'Pro', even though it's blue (which is growing on me). Imho the styling of the older N9P Pro machines in their slick silver and black scheme out shine all the new 2019 devices. I will admit that I tend to prefer a more organic/rustic or understated classy and functional aesthetics over pomp and bling.

"Diamond cut profile around the chassis base and screen..." humm isn't diamond cutting a run of the mill part of the manufacturing process when machining aluminium to a finish? Sounds like those pesky marketing folk are trying to impress us with nonsense. Hell the holes in the walls for my boilers flews were all cut with diamond cutters... how extravagant is that? :rolleyes:

I would be very surprised if they have over looked something like that.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. kurt corbin

Didn't the 2018 notebook 9 Pen have the same magnets as the 2019? I have not heard any complaints about them interfering with the EMR.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Shizaru likes this.
  9. Shizaru

Yes the older machines do have magnets mounted in the top corners of the display and front edge of the chassis. They are very close to the edge of the display area, and don't effect edge detection etc.

10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Go on sale damnit!

twitfri and Shizaru like this.