Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, 13'' and 15'' (2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Out of curiosity, what you say the improvements are? That have addressed issues with older models?

As I understand it (not owning an older model but interested in the new one), it would be- improved battery life, supposedly way louder and fuller speakers, and much better build quality. Anything else? No one really mentioned the typing experience, although one reviewer mentioned the trackpad was really nice in particular....?

2. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Shirazu will know, but I believe the previous model had bad PWM. The Korean reviewer said only that "Flicker-free is also added to minimize eye fatigue caused by screen flickering." That's pretty much a quote from Samsung's ad. But what does that mean? He did not do any test. How did they "add" flicker free? As in they added an analogue dimmer? That would be nice. I wish they had also added a matte finish. It's way glossy.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    thatcomicsguy and DRTigerlilly like this.
  3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Flicker free to me just means they may have increased refresh rate of the screen? Is that possible to do on mobile screens?

4. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

@Steve B this is just my opinion based on what I have read and my previous experience with the two previous models.

Slight bump in CPU newer Gen8 Intel i7 Gen8 8565U (2019) v 8550U (2018)

NVIDIA graphic performance is quite a bit better than the AMD (I hadn't researched the difference in my previous post). Worth having if you use art packages that use the dGPU (may 2D drawing apps don't afaik, CSP for example only uses it for the 3D models), 3D and CAD packages will benefit. Games performance will be noticeably better...although it's not going to cut it for hard core gamers playing new games on high.

Flicker Free I don't have an issue with PWM afaik, but quite a lot of people prefer not having it. II have to say I will be happier even if I don't seem to notice any physical affects. PWM isn't a good thing to be exposed to imho.

Thunderbolt ports x2
    USB-3 x1

Improved battery life and a quick charge option (10 min AC = 90 min DC - 100 mins for full charge/15 hrs claimed).

Gigabit Wifi future proofing.

Improved Sound based on the marketing this should be a major improvement. Almost everyone complained about the audio on the earlier models. You can tweak the older models if you take the time and it's acceptable imho once you get it sorted out.

Improved S-pen latency I can't see this having any noticeable effect and the pen performance on the older machines is spot on imho. If it's improved I wont grumble.

Improved MicroSD performance plus UFS support (the old MicroSD was only USB2 speeds)

Smaller bezels although they don't look that much smaller to me based on the images. The bottom bezel looks noticeably smaller though.

I hope I didn't forget anything?

Oh the SSD is now NVMe not SATA 3, so a nice performance boost there also.

On the downside there's no HDMI port and no USB-A port, although adaptors are supplied so mitigated to an extent. Just more stuff to carry which is a pain.

Imho the build quality of the earlier models is first class very solid and the finish retains its luster. I would be surprised if the chassis is very much different with respect to construction. The blue finish looks okay although I like the original styling. One downside is that you now have to remove the rubber feet in order to open up the machine to change the SSD of remove dust etc.

The touchpad on the older machines is first class and I would imagine the one on the new model will be virtually the same.

I have been really happy with my two machines and quite honestly I can't see me needing to change them based on my work flow. I'm pretty heavy in the multi tasking department and some VM action.

After thinking about it a bit I'm actually kind of tempted to import one of the new machines, mostly from a future proofing point of view, and a concern that Samsung maybe crazy enough to moves to AES, in the next round. I brought my Gen8 because I wasn't sure if Samsung would stick with EMR, so I covered my but, plus the extra cores appealed to me.

Even though the new model isn't marketed as a Pro device I doubt there is any significant difference between the old models which carry the Pro label. The internals are highly integrated in the 2017/2018 models. The only user upgradable part is the SSD, everything else is on custom boards. Construction wise I should imagine they will be virtually the same, which is why I find the build quality comments a little surprising. Having said that I seem to remember some reviews of the newer Notebook 9 13" Pen saying the build quality seemed a little cheap. That maybe a point of confusion? I have never compared the two so I can't comment.

If the pricing remains the same at around $1340 I think the new machine should be a pretty good option for most users, and users with moderately heavy demands in business, 2D art and light 3D. For a serious pro 3D CAD user or 3D modeller maybe the HP Zbook X2 or similar would be better, although the price is significantly higher. Also assuming that EMR is a requirement over other pen tech choices. The EMR nails it for me personally.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts once these machines hit the Best Buy shelves, so you can evaluate them. You can't beat hands on experience, especially from folk that appreciate EMR and other pen tech. We seem to be a hard bunch to please and a little obsessive (freaks maybe more appropriate?). :)

@kurt corbin and @soh5 here's a thread discussing PWM - it was also discussed in the N9P flipper thread early on here. I wouldn't like to speculate on the method Samsung have used to eliminate the flicker. They may have simply increased the frequency or moved away from pulse width technology altogether? It wouldn't surprise me if Samsung have simply increased the frequency though. Imho upping the frequency isn't really flicker free, it's just a faster rate of flicker, that may not impact users who suffer from the effects of PWM at lower flicker rates. We will have to wait and see once the units get reviewed.

Sorry if that is too verbose...hopefully there are some valid comments buried in there somewhere?

P.S. One last thought Samsung's past implementations of the S-pen have been somewhat disappointing with respect to user configuration. Hopefully they have provided some options which allow better user control. That Air Command nonsense hijacking the bloody pen breaks the Windows pen experience badly. They need to add a way for the user to chose the Air Command or proper Windows compliance!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  5. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

They did away with PWM?

Oooh. That's a bump for sure.

I've not looked deep enough yet to know if they offer a 16Gb model. I've really enjoyed not having had to think even once over the past year about the memory ceiling on my current N9P!

The lack of old style USB ports is a minor concern, however. I use that all the time with my memory sticks. Having to use an adapter would be a pain, and as far as I can see SanDisk doesn't offer their Extreme Pro line of USB stick in USB C as of yet. I love the fact that my toppa-tha-line USB thumb drive is faster than most regular external hard drives!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  7. Shizaru

They haven't said that they have done away with PWM, they say flicker free display. That makes me think they have upped the frequency.

16GB is standard on both the 13" and 15" afaik.

I agree the lack of old USB ports is a pain. An adaptor is okay if you're stationary but if you wander about it would be very annoying. I keep my ExpressKey dongle in my machine 100% of the time...that wont happen with an adaptor. The USB-C ports don't fill me with confidence when there is something like a thumb drive hanging out of them either. Even moving the machine around with a USB-C charger isn't a nice as having a good old pin connection imho. It's fine on a phone but a hefty machine that could snap it up bothers me.

I use the microSD a lot and the speed of that on the old N9P's is glacial. The fast thumb drives are much nicer to use. UFS sounds interesting though can't wait to try that if the cost is sensible.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok, this goes far in to speculation versus known facts territory but it's possible to have both PWM and "flicker free" with the same display.

There were some patents filed late last year form a couple of display makers that essentially synced the PWM with the normal refresh of the display. It requires a new controller architecture, but the timing is right for a possible new product release to incorporate it.

This is more important/beneficial in larger displays, e.g. TVs

9. Shizaru

@desertlap that's very interesting thanks for the info. Hopefully the speculation element can be removed once people can test these new devices. It will make quite a lot of people very happy if true.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

If they have gone away from PWM in the Notebook 9 Pen (please, please let this be true!), than I wonder if they've made the same change in the new Notebook 9 Pro.