Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, 13'' and 15'' (2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Tams and it does make a difference—especially for text rendering—but also for fine lines when drawing and inking.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Dang. I wish I'd seen this earlier.

Not that they'd have much of an answer, I'm sure, but I would like to ask Samsung if they wouldn't mind allowing users to load proper Wacom driver onto this computer!

Even if only to allow users to program the pen button to do something useful according to their personal taste and not have to fight against the Samsung's unfriendly vanilla install.

Shizaru likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Only one question: quad-core Galaxy Book Pro? Pretty please...

(If they can't comment, then just ask about future plans for EMR+AMOLED tablets...the larger the better. ;))

4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, but if your battery is dead, you can't run programs smoothly, or you can't see the display, then your device is just a big paperweight.

It's horses for courses. If you are never that far from a power supply and don't do computationally intensive tasks; then sure a display over 1080p in such a device is a boon. For others it's really not.

5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

6. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know of potential release date in USA? Last version was released around February 20th, but since its already on sale in Korea, I wonder why the slow roll-out to the rest of the world?

7. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Rest of the world maybe wishful thinking unfortunately. In the past these devices have only been available in South Korea or North America.

I just don't get why they deny customers the option to buy these in Europe? I guess they have decided that all the language options isn't cost effective enough...I can't think of any other reason. They could ship the US keyboard version with a multi lingual keyboard decal set, but that wouldn't be cool with a backlit keyboard I guess.

The US keyboard is a bit of a pain for a UK layout but at least it's usable once you adapt. Hell I would even settle for the Korean keyboard if I had to.

twitfri likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

The reason for the slow/staggered rollouts are probably both manufacturing ramp-up and regulatory compliance which is far more complicated than most realize (especially in the EU and US)

9. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Sadly the rollout for the Notebook 9 Pros outside of SK and NA is so slow that a glacier can out run it. Samsung brought in a new distribution policy which terminated the supply of notebooks in Europe and elsewhere. The common factor in this policy seems to whether or not the device has a physical keyboard or not. Tablets and mobile phones are readily available for the most part but anything else is extremely sketchy.

Even Canada seems to have lucked out to some extent probably because of those pesky French speakers? Afaik the Notebook 9 range still isn't readily available directly from Canadian based sources. Best Buy wont even ship directly to Canada which seems crazy. @thatcomicsguy had to organise a smuggling operation to escape the embargo he faced to get his N9P. I went through the process twice to get my N9P's to the UK.

It's a real pain in the butt for the consumer and Samsung miss a chunk of the market where options are limited if you want an EMR enabled machine. If they catered for a more global market they would probably have greater incentive to develop and innovate more to capitalise on the niche.

They could produce a killer art machine similar to a Wacom MSP for example, which has no keyboard. If they pushed the boundaries they could produce a device which has a longer life cycle and possibly compete with Wacom in the pro space. Maybe there is some agreement between Wacom and Samsung that prevents them from competing in that market segment?

I really don't get some of the decisions these manufactures make? They get so close and then fall at the last hurdle over some trivial thing, like port choice, low ram, screen res, aspect ratio,dGPU and AES etc. HP seem to have found a pretty good all round balance with the Zbook X2, and the inclusion of EMR sets it apart from everything else. The N9P is great value for money if you don't need the extra grunt the X2 packs. The new 2019 N9P Pen seems to have addressed many of the short comings of the older models.

soh5 and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

The moment this becomes available for US markets, I’m buying it.

15” Wacom emr... so glad I’m not using surface pro anymore.

Shizaru and thatcomicsguy like this.