Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, 13'' and 15'' (2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Dec 13, 2018.

1. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

As per the Samsung Korea site, where it is already available for sale, the latency is now down from 9.7ms to 3.8ms. In my opinion I had nothing to complain about the latency on the original version, and as far as numbers go, the 9.7ms latency was already way better than any competition, from Surface Pro to Pixel Slate to iPad Pro, most of which are hovering near 20ms.

This explains why nothing comes close to Wacom EMR experience of replicating pen to paper feel. I will be buying the 2019 version as soon as it is out in North America. I just hope they release a 16GB RAM version this time around.

https://www.samsung.com/sec/pc/notebook-nt930sbe-k38/NT930SBE-K38/

DRTigerlilly and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. twitfri

As per the Samsung Korea site, they are now using the AKG technology that has been used in flagship Galaxy Tab S series in the Notebook 9 2019 version so there is hope that they can catch up to the amazing sound in Surface Pro and Pixel Slate.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Holy cow! Like you, I don't notice any issue with latency as it is, but if they can get better speaker sound... It sounds like it's actually going to have real improvements.

If they also publish new and improved Wacom drivers... Ah. But I hope too much.

Doesn't matter. I'm getting great mileage out of the model I have. I see no reason to not run it until it dies of natural causes. (Though.., getting a driver update would be nice just to polish off its remaining raw edges!)

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I also agree the latency isn't something that I would complain about either.
    It looks like both models come with 16GB DDR3 which make the 13" more appealing.

https://news.samsung.com/global/for-the-creators-introducing-the-new-samsung-notebook-9-pen

@thatcomicsguy looks like they have moved away from PWM judging by the flicker free comment on the Korean web page. :)
    https://www.samsung.com/sec/pc/notebook-nt950sbe-x716/ If you scroll down the page there is a highlights panel with the MX150 in the first position...the flicker is mentioned on the third panel.

Positives:
    No PWM

512GB NVMe SSD

2 x Thunderbolt 3
    1 x USB 3
    Any port can be used for charging

MicroSD slot is now quicker and includes UFS support

Audio quality improvements

GIGA Wifi

Improved battery life and a quick charge option (10 min AC = 90 min DC - 100 mins for full charge/15 hrs claimed)

Negatives:
    Still has that useless Air Command bs, which probably means the pen experience is still screwed up and lacks comprehensive user configuration

Power Button design and placement hasn't been improved

No USB-A and No HDMI ports (I guess that's to be expected these days - that will screw up the Wacom ExpressKey experience (will Wacom release a USB-C dongle upgrade? Silly question of course they wont!))

No major improvement in the dGPU performance - GeForce MX150 2GB

Screen is only Full HD which will disappoint a lot of potential buyers (personally I can live with FHD)

I'm not a fan of the new colour scheme imho the 2017/18 models are more appealing.

I'm not sure I would be too quick to change my current N9P 15" Gen8 2018 model, even though Samsung seem to have resolved the main complaints I have with respect to TB3 and MicroSD speed etc. I'm pretty happy with the 2018 machine, and it's more practical at this point in time ports wise, even though it lacks TB3 and a faster MicroSD, 1 USB-C and 2 USB-A is more useful for me.

Oh and then there's the other issue of importing these machines into the UK, Europe and elsewhere.

Intel i7 Gen8 8565U (2019) v 8550U (2018)

Samsung Notebook 9 Pen (2019) Product Specifications

- Samsung Notebook 9 Pen 13” Samsung Notebook 9 Pen 15”
    Dimensions 307.9 X 206.2 X 14.9 — 15.9 mm 347.9 X 229.1 X 16.9 mm
    Weight 1.12kg 1.56kg
    Battery 54Wh 54Wh
    Material Aluminium Aluminium
    LCD 13" Full HD 15" Full HD
    CPU Intel 8th Gen i7 Intel 8th Gen i7
    Graphics Intel UHD GeForce MX150 2GB
    Memory 16GB LPDDR3 16GB LPDDR3
    Storage 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
    Wireless 802.11 ac wave2 2X2 (GIGA WiFi) 802.11 ac wave2 2X2 (GIGA WiFi)
    Speakers AKG stereo speakers with ThunderAmp AKG stereo speakers with ThunderAmp
    Camera HD IR Camera HD IR Camera
    Biometrics Facial and fingerprint recognition Facial and fingerprint recognition
    Ports Thunderbolt 3 (2) | USB-C (1) | HP/MIC | UFS & microSD Combo Thunderbolt 3 (2) | USB-C (1) | HP/MIC | UFS & microSD Combo
    Keyboard Backlit keyboard Backlit keyboard
    Pen Built in S Pen Wacom EMR Built in S Pen Wacom EMR
    For some reason there is a load of white space when inserting the table?

15"

No screws on the base...internals shown @1:08

13"

internals shown @1:03

EDIT: There are screws under the rubber feet.

Here's the written review supporting the videos above using google translate

If you want to compare some of the test results with the older models you can find some info in this post http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...windows-10-and-spen.72302/page-94#post-517778

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Tams, Marty, dellaster and 3 others like this.
  5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Daaaang. I'm gonna have to pause on picking up a Lenovo 730 and wait for this. I read over the articles, and if its true, there's a lot to like. Wacom with tilt, big very bright screen, and hopefully vastly improved speakers are the biggees to me. Two of the big reasons I didn't get the last few gens of this model have seemingly been fixed- low battery life (something like 5 hours average usage, right?) and pretty mediocre speakers.

-15" screen seems like it would be big enough. I'm ready to upgrade from 14"
    -pretty small by my standards- 3/4 lb lighter than my Thinkpad 14, with an inch bigger screen
    -Wacom in silo with reduced latency (and presumably tilt going forward, like in the last gen)
    -various nibs to play with
    -speakers go up to 5w each. That is LOUD for a laptop, most of which have more like 2 watts
    -outdoor superbright option (very useful for my line of work)
    -battery life should be a great improvement, and the fast charging sounds nice

I don't know what the story is on the fancy new micro SD reader- will it only read a new type of card? Or is it also backwards compatible?

Only USB C is a shame, but atleast they provide HDMI and USB A dongles.

I'm excited. I'll wait for real reviews for sure!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    DRTigerlilly and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. twitfri

It is backwards compatible as per Samsung Korea site.

7. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

thatcomicsguy and soh5 like this.
  8. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

It's for HiDPI, not for real estate. A concept exceedingly difficult to get across. This fellow does a better job of it than I can:

What is HiDPI and Why Does It Matter?
    https://medium.com/elementaryos/what-is-hidpi-and-why-does-it-matter-b024eabea20d

Top 3 Misconceptions About HiDPI
    https://medium.com/elementaryos/top-3-misconceptions-about-hidpi-f5ef493d7bf8

HiDPI Is More Important Than 4K

https://medium.com/elementaryos/hidpi-is-more-important-than-4k-b1b9bb110b43

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm going to CES later today and want to take a look at this if I can elbow my way through the crowd. I have recently become a fan of the s-pen and it looks like they have substantially upgraded the build quality compared to last year (my biggest gripe was that it didn't feel in hand like a $1K plus device ).

I'm also interested in how the implemented the NVIDIA graphics. Supposedly even though the card is the same, the newest ones have an improved bus connection (higher bandwidth). Plus I just like new shiny objects :)

Assuming I get an engineer that knows his stuff, Anything you folks would like me to ask if I can?

Also I did have a Samsung PR flack tell me that they have the best implementation of HDR with these new laptops

Marty and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I am most interested in learning about these 5w speakers and the reduced latency on the pen. Seemed like the sort of special stuff a well informed rep might know about.

I can assess build quality and typing experience myself when they release them at Best Buy eventually. Although I’m always interested to hear about both as well- Both seem improved.

My presumption is that the screen is lovely.

thatcomicsguy likes this.