Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, 13'' and 15'' (2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It looks like for 2019, Samsung is splitting the product line into EMR (for the Pen) and AES (for the Pro).

Here are some photos from engadget's site...

[​IMG]
    The Notebook 9 Pen

and...

[​IMG]
    The Notebook 9 Pro

In other photos, it is clear that the the Pro doesn't have a stylus silo, and I'd bet dollars to donuts (hmm.. Usually donuts cost more than a dollar these days...) anyway, it's quite clear that pen is one of those quad-A battery jobs.

2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

BTW the documentation that came with the system says it supports up to 32GB of RAM. I haven't taken it apart yet to see, but the system profiler software says it currently has one 16GB DIMM installed

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

4. desertlap

So one possible explanation for the differences in the pen between the regular and pro. I looked at my notes from when Samsung gave us a briefing on the new systems a couple months back. They made a point of saying the "new" Notebook 9 pro was "jointly designed" with Microsoft.

That would also lead me to think it's Microsoft compatible pen tech on this one

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

oh wow.......that's very surprising acctually. Aside from The Wacom Bamboo Ink Pen....which is dual protocol for both AES & MPP/Ntrig.......AES' pens themsevles are not compatible with MPP devices. Meaning.....for it to say that....Samsung had to use MPP for the Notebook 9 Pro......which is bottom of the barrel pen tech sinces its older MPP and not the current generation of it that the current Surface Line has. Thats a interesting move on Samsungs end since they own a stock stake in Wacom......and AES was Wacoms literal answer to Ntrig/MPP........ if they didn't want to use EMR......it wouldn't be logical for them to use MPP instead of AES............I can only imagine what unpleasant behind the scenes negations must be going on between Samsung and Wacom for Samsung to opt for MPP.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

my bad...i meant the S4 pen was EMR the Samsung Notebook 9 P̶e̶n̶ Pro is AES (NTrig/MPP).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  7. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

I think you mean the Notebook 9 Pro 2019 is AES because I am sure that the Notebook 9 Pen 2019 is EMR.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

yes...ugh...need to stop posting 1/2 asleep

twitfri likes this.
  9. desertlap

Samsung confirmed to me this morning that notebook 9 pro pen is AES based but is MPP compatible

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Marty, twitfri and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. desertlap

BTW: I think the reason for the difference in pen tech between the pro and the notebook 9 is mostly due to intended markets. The notebook 9 pro is the device they intend to lead with in corporate/business accounts.

And we all know that business tends to be conservative so the closer they hew to established "wintel" the more likely they are to win those RFPs.

It's true with their phones as well, They have lead with the S series, not the note series and success they have had there is more due to KNOX than anything else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.