Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, 13'' and 15'' (2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Dec 13, 2018.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To my knowledge there is no such Pen....and given how different EMR is from the ES method, while it may not be technically impossible, there would be engineering issues that would make it complicated to do so. Given the more Magnetic nature of EMR, and the need for ES pens to have a power supply.... its no accident EMR based pens are plastic, and virtually all ES based pens are metal. Also the need to change the nib assembly at all is rather telling in that regard, otherwise they could keep the same nib assembly.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    DRTigerlilly and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

what is it with Samsung and their dislike of erasers?

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That I find perplexing as well. As evident by the Zbookx2 Pen.....the EMR eraser will work perfectly fine on Windows or Android (app depending of course)....and Samsung did gift the Galaxy Book 2 Pen with a back end eraser.......but this pen....if it is indeed AES.....that alone could be reason why. As far as I'm aware there hasn't been a single AES pen with a backend eraser....I guess Wacom wants that to remain a EMR selling point perhaps? But even on the N-trig side.....only the Surface Pro 4 Pen and up has a backend eraser....every other N-trig/MPP pen relys on the side switch button to erase.

4. DRTigerlilly

they gifted the Book2 pen with an eraser, and then it's nowhere available for sale through official channels...you can only get it as a warranty item (meaning you need to provide a Book2 serial#) or buy a chinese knockoff...

but fair point about other AES solutions - minus sp4 & greater styli.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  5. fiswipes

fiswipes Pen Pal - Newbie

We're lucky... this would've cost over $2,700 if you bought it in Korea or HK.
    Laptops are considerably cheaper in the US for some reason.

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So Samsung sent me the loaner 13 inch notebook 9 pro they promised me Friday. However I haven't had a chance to do anything with it until this morning. It's an I7 16GB RAM 512GB with HD (1980*1080) configuration.

Very initial impressions. Lighter than it looks and exceptionally well balanced when you flip it in to tablet mode.

Screen looks good, though I can tell it's not super accurate out of the box and will need a calibration.

Keyboard is good, considerably better than a MacBook pro, but not thinkpad level.

The TB3 seems to work properly unlike some other systems I've tried lately. I have a LG 5k display and a SSD TB3 drive array both connected and so far no stutters or lags, though it does get noticeably very warm.

The pen looks somewhat like the pen that came with my daughters Tab S4. It doesn't have the eraser unlike the pen that comes with the GB2 which makes no sense to me at all.

More impressions as I give it a more thorough test next week

DRTigerlilly and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the Tab S4 pen work on the notebook 9 Pro? That will confirm if it is a EMR. Thanks!

8. DRTigerlilly

it is EMR

twitfri likes this.
  9. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you sure about the new 2019 Pro? Why does the pen require a battery?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't have my daughters s-pen to try. I can say the pen has it's own battery and the documentation calls it "active pen" whatever that means.

I'm not the pen expert that some are here, but the pen seems to work well. One thing that stands out is that the pressure sensitivity seems easy to modulate. One weird note is that it doesn't work right in Adobe Photoshop express, but apparently it's a bug in Photoshop express and Adobe is aware.

Also there is no place to stow the pen on the system and it doesn't attach magnetically either.

EDIT: just found a buried note that says "compatible with Microsoft MPP..."

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019