Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, 13'' and 15'' (2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, we’ll see how it rolls out and what the reviews say and what real-world pricing is, right? Then we’ll know.

Since there are literally no other EMR convertibles of similar size, I’m probably happy to pay whatever they like, if the speakers and build quality and battery life are as much improved as they preliminarily suggest. But if you’ve already got an older model and are happy with it, then that’s great too. No reason to spend the dough. ! :)

I currently own a 3+ year old Thinkpad 14, and so am in the market. If I could really get 8-10 hours battery life with average use, that would be a boon, as I work in the field a lot and don’t have outlets. The Outdoor mode for the screen would be very useful for my line of work too. I’ve wanted a larger screen for a while, that’s a check in the “pro” list for me as well. Then there the pen and speakers too!

Re: the speakers- they say they’re 5w. That could make a huge difference in volume and sound. I’ve heard the new sound bar on the Lenovo c730 and it made quite an impression- so it’s possible, IMO, to make better laptop speakers that make a real world difference. Will these new AKG speakers deliver on that? We’ll see. I use my laptop for all my movie viewing (we don’t own a TV) and play a lot of music on it, so although I’m not a sound buff and am not personally going to spend the time tuning things, sound quality is of some importance to me. Not always having to use headphones or a Bluetooth speaker would be nice.

What I really don’t know is if I can live without a trackpoint. I’ve had one for almost 10 years and am very used to it. But Precision trackpads have come a long way, and the experience may be good enough now that I won’t miss it as much as I did in previous explorations 5+ years ago. I’m also very used to the Thinkpad typing experience, and I know this won’t compare on that level. Will I accept those compromises for the benefits this device provides that nothing else does? Maybe. ?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm quite interested in seeing these too. I got a brief look at them at CES and I can confirm that the audio is much improved over the previous versions. They sounded quite good for their size, and got WAY louder than the older model.

twitfri likes this.
  3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree the EMR aspect does make it quite unique these days even at the increased price. The other EMR options are more expensive. The nice thing about all these devices with USB-C power capabilities is that you can use an external power source. Which makes shorter batter life less troublesome, provided carting a power bank isn't a problem. Of course it's preferable to have good battery life built in.

If I was in a position to buy I would seriously consider getting the 2018 model and saving the $400 bucks. I can live without thunderbolt and the rest of the changes aren't worth $400 to me. Obviously I have the advantage of knowing the 2018 meets my needs performance wise.

I think you would be happy with the performance and pen experience as both are a step up from older machines. I like the screen and the day light mode would be useful in your case, although the battery life will take a hit.

You will definitely notice a difference due to the increased power...the volume perception will be twice as loud due to doubling the wattage, although volume is only one factor to consider. I'm sure there will be a real world benefit, especially by comparison with the older devices. I don't have a TV either and I don't have any problems with the audio since tweaking it. For listening to music no laptop would be acceptable to me, as it's physically impossible to create decent dynamic range and frequency separation using a single tiny cone. I guess it's down to what peoples expectations are?

In my experience the trackpads on the Notebook 9's are first class, and I haven't had any problems with them. Having said that I have read/heard a number of people reporting unexpected cursor movements. I have no idea why that's the case for them? Nothing is really going to compare with a Trackpoint if that's your preference. The typing experience seems good to me, but it certainly isn't going to be the same as the Thinkpads feel. I would expect the trackpad and keyboard to be much the same between the 2018 and 2019 models based on what I have seen.

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts once you get a chance to have some hands on time with a 2019 N9 Pen. I have been very satisfied overall with my older 2017 and 2018 N9P's...I'm sure I would enjoy a 2019 equally from a user perspective. The Samsung pen driver still irks me though, it's very annoying and unnecessary meddling on Samsung's part. Sadly I doubt Samsung will be making any improvements to the user controllable pen settings.

4. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I understand that higher screen resolution means lower battery life (though I'd be interested in seeing actual up-to-date data), and that there's much more to screen quality than resolution, but I have to say FHD in a 2019 premium laptop is getting a bit hard to swallow. Everybody and their mother does 1080p now *at minimum*: from the cheapest Chinese laptop manufacturers like Chuwi with their $250 devices, to pen displays like XP-Pen, not to mention virtually every smartphone that's come out in the last three years...

5. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

What's the chance the galaxy phone will be released before the Notebook 9 Pen and Pro 2019 versions? I think Samsung forgot about this. The 2018 version was out by this time last year already even though it was announced much later.

6. fiswipes

fiswipes Pen Pal - Newbie

7. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Weird that they would try to launch this at Staples and BH Photo Video, without even putting a page up on Samsung website itself. Also, why not launch on Amazon like last year?

8. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

I think these are the specs. Still don't know what AMOLED mode is supposed to mean or if flicker free is believable and if so how they accomplished it. Don't know if they have changed the power from default settings. Don't know what the "usbc" is capable of. The reviewers will probably not answer these questions, but focus on girly things like how light and stylish it is.

15” Pen

i7-8565U @ 15 ? W
    mx-150 (2GB GDDR5) @ 25 ? W
    16GB LPDDR3
    512G PCIe NVMe
    54Wh fast charge (all ports) 65W USBC
    2 TB3, 1 USBC can do? (3.1 gen 1 or 2 ?)
    3.5mm, UFS/microSD
    720p IR webcam
    no worldcam?
    dual speakers (5W each), dual mics
    wireless: ac wave2, 2x2 giga wifi BT v5
    1920x1080 @ 350 nits? outdoor mode @ 500nits?
    glossy (arrgh!), flicker free?, AMOLED mode?
    EMR, silo, small pen
    face & finger biometrics
    backlit keyboard
    1.56 kg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    thatcomicsguy and DRTigerlilly like this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

General availability must be close. We got an updated monthly sku part number list and there are 4 new items on it in the notebook section. No description or price yet, but that's typical. If they hold true to form there will either be an addendum this month or full info including prices in next months list.

10. fiswipes

fiswipes Pen Pal - Newbie

The next question is:

When will the discounts come out?