Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, 13'' and 15'' (2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a feeling the price was going to be silly and $1799 for the N9 Pen 15" is ridiculous imho. The bad news is that the sales for these units will probably be very low by comparison to the older models, @$1300 ish full retail, which was just in the realms of good value. Apart from the Thunderbolt these new machines are pretty much the same, so how does Samsung justify bumping the price up by $400? lmao...the insanity of that is off the charts! If Samsung see bad sales volume because of their over pricing there is a chance that they will neglect the higher end penable tablets market in the future. If that happens the EMR choices are going to be even harder than they are right now.

That's going to make the resale value of the older N9P's much more attractive to people and probably bump the value up for the sellers. It also makes the remaining stocks of the 2018's a worthy investment especially if they are on a sale. Who really needs thunderbolt if they are looking for a nice EMR drawing experience at a sensible price? Really glad I brought the 2018 model in the wake of this crazy new price hike.

HP can expect to see a bump in sales of the Zbook X2 as a result of Samsung's pricing strategy.

On more positive side at least now I know that Samsung wont be getting my money, and Dan at Montanabows will be getting an order for a custom Toelki Super Static or Troll take down very soon. :) That's a much more rewarding purchase decision I wasn't expecting to make so easily and this soon.

[​IMG]
    Your post has made my day...off to drool over some wood selections now.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Ah, but the HP Zbook x2 pen does work! I use it daily on my GB10. I also use the Smardi Pen on my Zbook with no issues. No alignment issues. The Zbook x2 pen acts just like Samsung EMR.

You'll want to avoid whatever pen they're selling for the Zbook Studio (that one is AES), but the Zbook x2 pen is tops.

3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Samsung's pricing has historically been "volatile" for lack of a better term. I suspect that those prices will drop fairly quickly. Of course it hasn't been released yet, as that listing shows as "coming soon" so the real price when it ships will likely be less.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I am pretty sure they’ll eventually have a 15” 8gb 256 SSD model for around 1300$ at Best Buy. Just like normal.

I didn’t think 1800$ was so super crazy for a 16 GB 512 SSD model with a dGPU. A bit high? Yes. But not bonkers for a 15” convertible with Wacom, IMO.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Shizaru

They have bumped the price by $400 over the previous model, which seems like a steep hike to me for an extra 250GB storage, and two thunderbolt ports. The chassis doesn't look as well constructed as the older N9P models, HDMI has gone, USBA gone. Screen technology remains much the same. The GPU and dGPU are mildly better performance wise. The cost of the additions has reduced over the past year. Samsung also screws up the Wacom pen experience by providing a hobbled driver and useless AirCommand junk offering little in the way of user control over the pen functions.

Imoh the machine would be a decent buy at £1400 at the very most. $1799 is way beyond the real world value imho. I guess we will see when and if people are cueing up to buy them or not? I think not.

The old N9P isn't exactly the most popular machine in it's class, even among hardcore Wacom EMR fans, which is evident by the low number of TPR members who brought an N9P.

Imho the N9P is a great machine despite the hobbled pen functionality, once you work around the problem...even then it still has quirks in some applications. The HD screen is more than adequate for my personal needs, but it falls short for many potential buyers. That situation will be compounded with the 2019 model when people are starting to expect higher resolutions.

Samsung have reduced their production costs imho judging by the images of the internals and chassis, and they have ramped up the price excessively rather than pass those savings on to the customer.

A 2019 N9 Pen 16GB 256GB 15" at $1400/$1440 would be a more realistic price imho. The user can replace the supplied SSD if they need to with an NVMe of their choice. Realistically it should be priced at the same price as the current machine, given the fact that this machine isn't classed as a Pro machine by Samsung.

I paid $1299 for my old ATIV X700T, $1099 for my N9P 2017 and $1199 for my N9P 2018 both of which were on sale at the time. I have zero interest in paying more than $1400 for the 2019 model, no way in hell would I pay $1799! I wont even be interested when they knock $200 off in a sale. It seems better to wait a year and pick up a 2019 N9 Pen or HP Zbook X2 from Ebay.

The HP Zbook X2 is a far more attractive option by comparison, even though it's quite a bit more expensive for a 16GB model. There is an Zbook X2 8GB model on Ebay.co.uk currently for £1750 NEW.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, power to ya. We can agree to disagree. :) I think it is unrealistic to expect anyone to sell a 15”, 16 GB, 512 SSD, dGPU convertible Wacom device for 1300-1400$. They never have before, and I don’t see why they would now. Plus it has the supposedly __vastly__ improved AKG speakers and a tougher harder shell. 1300$ is almost always the basic price for the 8GB/256/convertible/ pen models of almost all the brands- Lenovo, HP, etc. And then they sell them in store for more like 1199$.

I also would not pay 1799$, but I also don’t need 16GB + 512 SSD. So I hope they also offer lower spec models. The device sounds lovely to me, personally.

8. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the pricing between Samsung Notebook 9 Pro and Notebook 9 Pen is confusing some people. Notebook 9 Pro was cheaper even though it did come with the S-Pen but it was heavier, and decidedly lower market and available for $1100 or so. Notebook 9 Pen was the more premium option and at launch was available for $1399 for the 13.3" version, and even now its close to $1250 for the same 8GB/256GB combination.

There are no premium convertibles launched this year that are available at a cheaper cost and they also don't have EMR, so the price hasn't increased and seems on par with the competitors pricing.

The only question is why is it not launching already?

9. Shizaru

You're quite correct they sold a 15" 16GB, 256GB dGPU convertible EMR Wacom Pro Level machine for $1349 previously...which is exactly my point. The component costs have reduced in price in the meantime time, especially NVMe prices. They have reduced the cost of chassis production judging by the appearance of the internals of the chassis. It looks like the new chassis is a single layer of ally with little or no reinforcement ribbing.

As for the AKG audio in reality that probably amounts to a tuned injection moulded speaker housing, a couple of neodymium magnets, some improved caps and better EQ curve. There is only so much you can do with a half inch rubber/plastic diaphragm and micro amp circuit, discarding heaps of woo woo. I had no problem making the audio on my old N9P's sound acceptable using the built in audio tools and the Realtek EQ. The EQ and compressor in VLC puts an extra polish on the audio for movies and podcasts etc. It just takes a few minutes to tweak some software values to make vast audio improvements.

The other brands may well sell similar devices for $1300 with 8GB, 256GB for $1199 and by extension they sell 16GB, 512GB $1600 models for $1300 on the street. In this case Samsung have hiked the price to $1799 from $1349 which will sell on sale for $1599, and to justify that they have added an extra 256GB of storage and marketing woo woo **slightly facetious**.

Specification wise I would agree with you the new model is a sweet machine based on form and function. As a progressive upgrade it's is a ridiculously over priced incarnation imho. Other people may well be able to justify and swallow Samsung's price hike, personally I only see profiteering, and I think that is going to have a significant impact on sales volume, in an already challenging market. They have lost a sale with me purely based on the predicted price, and I have purchased all the Samsung penables windows tablets, from the original Slate to the 2018 N9P. In the lull between the ATIV and the N9P's I brought a Wacom Companion I (which turned out to be the worst £1700 investment I have ever made on any tech product).

My current N9P meets my normal daily demands, so I have absolutely no need to upgrade other than the quest for more. The only thing lacking is thunderbolt and Samsung intentionally neglected that addition in order to create an upgrade path. They did the same thing when USB3 was standard on other manufactures machines sporting USB3, on the same class machines, back in the day.

Imho anyone in the market for a new EMR convertible who want's it for 2D and light 3D art work would be better off buying the 2018 N9P for $1149 when they can, as it's a bargain by comparison to the 2019 Notebook 9 Pen, assuming it really does sell for $1799. Unless they predict have a real need for Thunderbolt in the next couple of years or so. The 2019 machine makes no sense to me at that price.

It will be interesting to see what Lisa @MobileTechReview has to say about it when she gets her hands on one. I'm particularly interested to hear what her comments are with respect to the new chassis design, and how it stacks up with the older N9P's?

I seem to be a loan voice on the subject, so there is every chance that I'm completely wrong in my assessment? It certainly wont be the first time nor the last if that's the case. :)

@twitfri while I understand the point you're making I don't agree...the 2018 13" Pen was over priced and sales have been abysmal for that product as far as I can see. It certainly wasn't a superior product by comparison to the 'lower market' N9 Pro imho. In a head to head comparison the N9 Pro wins hands down on construction and functionality. It's not even that much lighter if you're just comparing the 13" models. There comes a point when weight to performance returns little benefit once your down to the weights of these machines.

The confusion comes from Samsung with their crazy naming convention and general product line up. Based purely on a hardware head to head the 2018 and 2019 models and pricing simply makes no sense whatsoever.

You gain 256GB storage (which is user upgradable), a Thumb scanner (additional biometrics data collector). Two Thunderbolt ports and improved audio, uprated micorSD performance and blue colouring. Marginally better graphics and cpu performance. Future proof wifi technology.

You lose AC Pin connectivity, USBA and HDMI as physical ports. The audio can be tweaked. The older chassis was laminated and very ridged. All else remains pretty much on par with the 2019 model, apart from the minor changes mentioned above. Thunderbolt and better microSD speeds are the only real advantages offered with respect to functionality/performance.

IIrc there were complaints about the construction of the 2018 N9 Pen 13". Afaik only one TPR member took the plunge and actually purchased one, so hands on feedback is very limited here, and elsewhere for that matter.

From a manufacturing stand point Samsung have swapped out some ports and consolidated some circuitry in the process, they have a cheaper chassis production cycle, the core circuit design is a minor progression based on the existing MOB. Imho the production cost of the new machine will be lower than previously, with minimal component level cost increases for the dGPU/CPU/Wifi etc. Being generous maybe $100 bump. The 2019 models are much more consumer market orientated devices, with a corporate price tag. And that is going to impact volume sales imho.

I honestly can't see $400 dollars worth of improvements being offered, and certainly not when it comes to daily use for the average user or 2D artists. The real world compute power and functionality of the two devices are very similar imho. I guess it all depends on how people rationalise their needs and wants when making a purchasing decision.

I have attempted to explain my thinking without using fallacious arguments, like stating all the other manufactures sell devices for X, so Samsung have got it right. I see this as a logical progression and real value as a consumer, based on the previous hardware price to performance. I wouldn't pay $1000 bucks for a phone either, when a $600 phone can compete on performance. My OnePlus phones perform great, and are easy to root and swap roms on. OnePlus as a company don't jack the price every time a new model launches, they pitch to their market based on their cost, and as such they are seeing great growth in market share.

If others see the 2019 N9 Pen as a good investment I'm not going to argue, they are free to buy what they like. I'm sure they will enjoy the experience, even though it comes at a price. Personally it's not on my radar for the reasons stated.

10. Shizaru

I'm not sure that it will be less based on a conversion I did previously from KRW to USD. I don't recall the numbers but I think the USD price is already less from memory.

Today:
    Samsung official site 15" 16GB 512GB is 2,900,000 원 - 1 KRW = 0.000886550 USD at commercial rates. 2,900,000 원 to USD $2482 I have no idea how that works when compared to the shelf price in the US?