Samsung Notebook 9 Pen (13.3 inch 2-in-1)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Yao, Dec 14, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Notebook 9 Pen - don't get why it's specs are equal to or lower than the GB12 (except for the standard USB-A port and 8th gen i7). 8gb RAM, 256GB SSD, only 1920x1080 16:9 screen. Is there an upgradeable model?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I guess their global view of the market's desires is more complete than ours.

I'm just glad that Samsung continues to sell the 15" N9P. For now, anyway.

I wonder if, like the old Tecra M4, it will be the last of its kind for another ten years..?

WillAdams likes this.
  3. giantqtipz

giantqtipz Pen Pal - Newbie

I am really on the fence about this. I have a Yoga 14 currently, and am looking for a more compact laptop. I jot a lot of notes, but it's difficult on such a big heavy laptop haha.

I have a samsung Note 5, and take plenty of notes there -- which is why I'm considering this because I think it'll greatly complement my note 5... I want to test the Notebook 9 Pen, but no retailers have it yet on display... Even Samsung 837 in NYC is too busy to answer my calls...

For those of you who have it, are you satisfied with your purchase? Enjoying the note taking as well?

4. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

I am loving how thin and light it is. Battery life is surprisingly very decent. Close to 7 hrs. Makes me wonder what the battery life would be for the non-pen, non-touch version that has twice the battery size. I don't like note taking as much on this, as portrait mode in which I like to take notes feels very long and narrow and the keys pressing in the back don't help either. However if you can get over that, the pen performance is great. No offset, fast response, great pressure curve, handy s-pen shortcuts. One can hardly ask for more.

I like taking notes on the galaxy book 10.6 which is ideal for note taking due to 3:2 ratio and detachable form factor that gives you a handy tablet without the keyboard.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. giantqtipz

giantqtipz Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received mine yesterday and I'm loving it. I used it for roughly 2 hours and the battery life kind of worries me. This morning I was only using it to browse and some minor installations, which took 15 mins, and the battery went from 100% to 89% pretty quickly... and I had battery conservation on too...

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If you've only had it for a day it might still be the usual updating and indexing going on. Windows systems are pretty busy initially to get everything optimized.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Returned Galaxy notebook 9 pen and if anyone from Samsung is watching hope they can fix these issues in the next version:
    1) 16:9 screens in a convertible is a cruel joke. Its bad for productivity (not enough vertical space), and horrible for tablet use (portrait mode is too narrow and long).
    2) A 39Wh battery in a quad-core laptop where the fan runs all the time is not a good idea.
    3) Design is important, and these rounded pebble corners on all sides look dated. Look at Pixelbook or Surface devices for a quality modern convertible design.

It was so close with the s-pen integration and light weight. These three issues should have been thought of considering they have a chromebook pro that has a beautiful 3:2 screen, the non-pen version of Notebook 9 has a 75 Wh battery, and they clearly have good designers as evidenced by the galaxy phones. Yet, they can't seem to bring it all together. Maybe next time.

8. XavierX

XavierX Pen Pal - Newbie

Apparently, there is a 15 inch model, but currently only available in Korea. The information is the by-product of me stalking the new 13 incher from samsung. The specs are basically identical to those of the refreshed 15 inch notebook 9 pro available at best buy, but the shell and casing seem to be upgraded and now use the new metal12 or what ever it's called. I'll attach a link to the website below. hope it helps.
    PS. They state the dimensions in centimetres instead of inches so don't get confused.

http://www.samsung.com/sec/pc/notebook-nt950qaa-x716/

Cheezzypoo, WillAdams and Cuberdon75 like this.
  9. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ugh! Want!

10. XavierX

XavierX Pen Pal - Newbie

I can certainly relate to the feeling. I went through a lot of trouble to get my notebook 9 pro. The father-in-law of my father's colleague from work brought it over from the states. It was a struggle trying to find someone who could get one for me because Samsung laptops aren't available where i live. It took me over 4 months of waiting to get my hands on it.