Samsung Notebook 9 Pen (13.3 inch 2-in-1)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Yao, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like a winner!! the new Non-pen model of 13.3 Samsung Notebook 9 has a 75 wh battery. I hope this one does too!

Samsung Notebook 9 Pen: Superb flexibility, portability with S Pen and convertible hinge
    The Notebook 9 Pen brings a thoughtfully refined design to the 2-in-1 PC. Its full metal chassis with premium magnesium aluminum – lighter than aluminum – alloy called Metal12™ provides durability while keeping it super light at 2.2 pounds. The 360 degree hinge provides flexibility for users to convert to a tablet from a laptop with ease by rotating the keyboard behind the screen for convenience.

The Notebook 9 Pen provides ultimate convenience with a built-in, refined S Pen that gives users the freedom to doodle, write, sketch, paint and more. The S Pen is battery free, built into the device and designed for immediate use. The S Pen can recognize 4,096 levels of pressure with a fine 0.7mm tip and convenient tilt detection to allow a more natural writing and drawing experience. When the S Pen is removed from the notebook, Air Command automatically launches providing convenient S Pen shortcuts, Samsung Notes and Autodesk Sketchbook, so that users can write, draw and create immediately.

JoeS likes this.
  2. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Why no 15 inch version?

YVerloc likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The tablet PC's just keep on coming! :) Release date: "first quarter of 2018".

Some articles on it:
    https://news.samsung.com/us/2018-samsung-notebook-9-pen/ (press release)
    https://www.windowscentral.com/sams...ineup-updated-processors-and-pen-equipped-2-1
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...-notebook-9-notebook-9-pen-specs-release-date
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/samsung-notebook-9-pen-specs-release-date
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3242805/computers/samsungs-notebook-9-pen.html
    http://pocketnow.com/2017/12/14/samsung-notebook-9-pen-notebook-9-2018-official-announcement

It doesn't have the huge 75Wh battery of the non-pen models, and oddly they limit the pen model to 512GB, vs. 1TB on the other models. It also has USB-C, but no Thunderbolt 3 (that's limited to the 15" non-pen model). The only listed resolution is 1920x1080 (16:9), 450nits. So far it seems like the pen model only comes with integrated graphics.

On the upside, it only weighs 2.2 lbs, which is impressive! That is, if the initially released specs are correct, which seems rare these days. :D

Specs
    Processor: 8th Generation Intel Core i7 Processor
    Memory: Up to 16GB (DDR4)
    Storage: Up to 512GB (NVMe PCIe)
    Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics
    Display: 13.3" Samsung RealViewTouch, FHD (1920 x 1080)
    Brightness: 450 nits (that's how you do that Lenovo..)
    Keyboard: Backlit KBD, Precision Touchpad
    Material: Metal12 (Mg)
    Camera: IR camera, 720p
    Stylus: Integrated S Pen (Bundle)
    Ports: 1xUSB-C, 1xUSB 3.0, 1xHDMI, uSD, headset/mic, DC-in
    Security: Fingerprint Sensor
    Power: 39Wh
    Weight: 995g 2.2 lbs
    Dimensions: 310.5 x 206.6 x 14.6-16.5mm
    Colors: Light Titan

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  4. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

One step forward one step back SS

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

okieiam likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While I like the light weight for a 13-incher.....I'm not sure that's worth the concessions that made over the non-pen models.

Unless that comparison spec sheet in the first link is flat out wrong.....both 13-inchers weight the same at 995 grams....and have pretty much the same physical dimensions.....granted the Pen model has the added digitizer board beneath the screen as well as the pen silo.....but that shouldn't warrant a trade off of literally half the battery capacity of the non-pen model. Especially since this is an EMR machine and the pen digitizer is adding constantly to the battery drain. If anything the larger battery would be more needed in the pen model.

And also its a bit upsetting they couldn't fit the NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 in the 13-inch......especially given the 13-inch Acer Switch 7 was able to cram that in there.

Still yuck at the 16:9 Aspect Ratio.....I really wish they would instead just go to 3:2 for this series like the Galaxy Books. And given that large bottom part of the Bezel (which is way worse on the 15-incher).....they could easily do so.

As for a lack of a 15-incher Pen model.......My assumption based on that is that the current 7th gen 15-incher probably didn't sell as well as the 13th...hence why they are going with that only this time around. Can't speak for those who actually have the current 15-incher....but I played with it a few times at Best Buy.....and found the screen quality kind of lacking compared to the 13 inch one.....drawback of using the same res on a larger screen I guess.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They sure didn't make it easy to actually purchase the darned things! -There were several of us non-Americans trying to figure out ways to get hold of units, and I don't know how many of us were successful in the end.

-The screen isn't perfect; I find I use it pretty much all the time under my 'alternative approach' brightness settings, (where I change the contrast and colour temps in the HD Graphics settings rather than engage the PWM hardware). This is good for dimming without flicker, but makes for less than ideal colour -and doesn't do the battery any favors. But the 1080p 15" format hasn't been a problem. There's lots of space to draw comfortably. Thank-goodness!

Though, that upcoming (hopefully?) Acer Switch 7 Black Edition with it's 13.5" 3:2 screen (and Wacom EMR) reminds me that 3:2 really is the way to go format-wise for these smaller tablet folios. Plus, if they made it a 15".., wow! Right now, that whole screen can, less about .25", fit into the N9P's screen space and have a couple of inches left over on the side.

9. Maki81

Maki81 Pen Pal - Newbie

If they actually get it down to 2.2 lbs, that would be pretty great. Hopefully it won't break the bank.

10. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

too bad its 39 whr battery. probably only 5 hrs of battery at most.

but 2.2 lbs is an amazing achievement.