Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. RomeoJr

RomeoJr Pen Pal - Newbie

As for ZBook's X2 pen,..received it yesterday and had to extensively research how to completely remap the side button apart from the additional eraser function it already has (since RadialMenu does not and HP wont let us use their cool program).

Great info in the Galaxy Book thread with Autohotkey,...copied and pasted a few things and it's up and running. Now some great coder out there can deliver double click function for the button as well sometime.

1 weeks now and I mostly use USB-C when I'm out and about and just leave the regular adapter home by the bedside.

The USB-C port is a 2-way charger and charges my phone,...and I was surprised to learn that my non-PD portable batteries can not only recharge it while traveling,...but while I'm doing heavy browsing as well (and hold the charge steady as I watch YouTube videos).

More appropriate options for batteries now than before,...but you probably dont want small batteries that drain really fast anyway, as it shortens their shelf-lives. [​IMG]

Not sure of your situation, but I wouldn'tve purchased it if it didn't take USB charging. Charges as cheap as $10-$20 if I'm ever in a pinch, and I can survive a full day (if need be) off of 1 cord.

Art_N00b likes this.
  2. Sergei

Sergei Digital Artist

Still trying to make my mind up here - though in truth I'm probably just torturing myself... Does anyone now wish they hadn't gone for the the Notebook 9 Pro?
    To be honest, I can't be sure at this stage if the S-pen inside it now is the one that came with it, or a different spare I bought at some stage (It isn't worn enough to be the one that came with my Note.) While it's not anything like as sensitive as my current pens for drawing, it is quite usable for general purposes. It sounds as if the one you have may be defective.

The old Wacom EMR toothpick that came with my Toughbook CF-18 looked nearly identical to the Note pen that fits the holder, and had adjustment screws hidden underneath the button. I wonder if tweaking those would help you. (If the S-pen has them too. And you can remove the button without breaking the pen...)

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It was around the time of the Note 4 phone, Samsung re-enginered it’s nib assembly on their S-Pens....the main benefit to them doing this was they were able to alter the initial activation force so it would be artificially low.

The downside however......while the pens are still technically compatible.....Pens that were designed for the Note 1-3 will work horrid on newer S-Pen devices because of the change in how it processes pressure....to the point as you said....it’s unusable. The reverse is also true....Current S-Pens used on older tablets would be just as unusable....but in reverse. So that Note 1 Pen you have.....will never work well on a current device.

4. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I certainly don't regret my decision.

Sergei likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Stupid Pen Update #..4? Sure. 4.

Soooooo...

I finally did the thing I should have done in the first place but had hoped the all mighty Free Market would do for me.

I built my own stylus holder.

It's a short term solution, not ideal, but it ought to last the few weeks until my Wacom Bamboo finally arrives.

And heck.., the principle is so basic and easy that I might just order a multi-pack of current generation S Pens and call it a day. (Taking some smug satisfaction in the knowledge that Da Vinci and all the other great artists had to carve their own brushes and pens and such also.)

homemadestylus.jpg

With an old HP Elitebook Penabled stylus at the top to provide a size comparison.

I just dug through my extensive pile of real pens and found a plastic tube of serviceable size, (the one here happens to be a re-fill container for the Mono Zero eraser pen, but any plastic tube of similar size would do). I cut it to the right length and the S Pen slides right in and then needs to be given a healthy push to accommodate the little wedge at the end. This deforms the end of the plastic tube and holds the toothpick in place.

I carefully cut a hole in the side, (before inserting the pen), bent and carved with an exacto knife the teeny piece of plastic which came out so that it can move freely in the hole and simply taped it into place over the pen button. It actually works amazingly well as a "button extender". I solved it in less than five minutes of fiddling.

I needed to stuff a small chip of eraser into the tube (see the side shot) from the nib end to make everything snug, and now...

Well, shoot, it works perfectly.

Though, it ain't pretty, and it's a bit short for my preference, (though that aspect doesn't affect my hand or how I use it).

It'll do for now.

There are a few irritating items, (witness my Stupid Pen Updates). -And I'm not a fan of the PWM brightness solution Samsung implemented.

And I don't like "Metal 14" or whatever the shell is made out of; even after half a year of use, it STILL feels factory fresh without any finger prints. It's very smooth and slidy, and I'm always super careful about handling it. If you toss it on a couch, (not recommended), it feels like it could just keep on going and slide right off with very little trouble. I'd much prefer something I can Spiderman grip.

But I'm always aware and careful, which is probably a better behavior to have adopted than I might have with a higher-friction computer which I'd get used to not being vigilant around. And the various little hack-arounds I've come up with all work to my satisfaction.

So beyond those small criticisms...

I love this machine!!! I've done a ton of work on it, and the drawing/inking/touch experience once it's all working, is smooth and satisfying. It makes for an excellent 'companion' device, (as Wacom would call it). And right now, there's nothing I'm aware of in the market place which could replace or improve upon it. If I happened to lose or break it, (and if I had the cash), I'd buy another one without hesitation.

That says something, I think.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Shizaru, Selofain and Art_N00b like this.
  6. Sergei

Sergei Digital Artist

Thanks, I needed to hear that. :) It's on its way.

should reach Ireland... within a month...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Shizaru and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I've already tried tweaking the potentiometer inside. I managed to improve it somewhat, but yeah, it's most likely defective.

I just tried my Note 2 pen on my Note 4 and GB10. It's definitely not as good as the GB s-pen, but it's still very usable. My original s-pen just isn't usable at all.

You're persuading me to go the franken-pen route. Or I could just do what @thatcomicsguy did and stick my GB s-pen into a self-made pen holder. Ooooo, I do have a bag of moldable plastic... hm....

8. GunplaCyril

GunplaCyril Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried hooking the elgato hd60s to my notebook 9 pro so I can capture my main pc's stream live, but for some reason the elgato hd60s is not working and keeps giving a warning message that says that it needs a usb 3.0 connection to function. I have the 7th gen Intel model, are these usb ports not 3.0? I even tried the usb-c port, and it still isn't recognized as a usb 3.0 by the elgato capture software...

Works completely fine on my friend's macbook and my pc, so I know the hd60s is working. Anyone else got any insight to this?

9. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the HD60s specification state the data rate it requires? If it's 10Gbps it needs a USB-C port that supports USB3.1 Gen2 - if it explicitly states USB3.0 then it should work with a USB-C USB3.0 Gen1 @ 5Gbps. Afaik the USB-C port on both the Gen7 and Gen8 N9P only supports USB3.0 Gen1 5Gbps.

With respect to USB-C it is capable of supporting multiple data standards and formats in various combinations, depending on the manufactures implementation, i.e. USB Data @5 - 10Gbps, Power Delivery of various current ratings and video @ different resolutions and frequencies. To make matters worse the cables also need to meet the required specifications of the computer port and the connected device.

Afaik the Macbook uses Thunderbolt which typically supports higher USB data rates...although there are a number of differences between USB-C and TB standards. Is the USB Port on your PC USB3.0 5Mbps or USB3.1 @ 10Gbps? Did you use the same cable with all the machines?

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Stupid Pen Update #5

Crikey! I'm going to be swimming in new pens shortly.

I just found this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D36PTCH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The advantage is that this one is using the most recent S Pen tech, with 4096 pressure levels. -It appears to be another pen holder, but newer -and with a regular ink pen option on the other end. I just ordered one and put an air mail rush on it because not having a proper pen is driving me out of my monkey tree, and the Bamboo coming from Japan may well arrive sometime in early Fall, the way container vessel shipping goes.

The older S Pen holder with the previous model S Pen should be arriving tomorrow, and will probably be fine, but I'm champing at the bit right now.

Every time I look to order another regular Full Size S Pen, the price wigs me out; they're all pushing $90 CAD or more, and the last one both felt cheap and then proved itself cheap by breaking. Though, to be fair I suspect a freak EM pulse or a solar flare or something which no pen would have withstood. Maybe my last couple of comic strips where I was poking fun at the Military Industrial Complex triggered somebody deep underground and they trained their "Annoy People Beam" at my stuff and screwed up my work flow. I hear they do that. Portions of the MIC are run by Pull-My-Finger nerds, by some accounts.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Sergei and WillAdams like this.