Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

My Dell Canvas pen also works on the N9P, and it while it doesn't have an eraser on the end, it does have two buttons. It's actually quite a nice pen; $99 from Dell.

EDIT******

Ignore this post. I was wrong about the above claim. The Dell Pen has the same offset as the old Penabled styli from the first generation of TPCs. -Except, I've found having tried both, that an actual first gen Penabled stylus performs much better.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Art_N00b likes this.
  2. bitenvy

bitenvy Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the posts, guys! I actually bought one of those Staedtler Noris pens, and it feels good, but doesn't have any buttons :( I've tried all of my old (and new) wacom pens, and the only pen that N9P detected was the Huion Pen from the H640P... the cursor had a weird offset, tapping on screen did alot of weird stuff, and neither of the buttons worked unfortunately. With the HP Zbook X2 Pen and the Dell Canvas, did you have any issues with offsets or other weirdness? I'm sure the full-size spen just worked out of the box.

To compensate for the lack of buttons on the Staedtler Noris pen, I was going to try using it with either a Wacom Express Key or the PS3 Nav Controller. They're both supposed to arrive over the weekend, so I'll give an update if anyone is interested.

Also, are either of you using a USB-C charger for quick charging? Or did you find it unnecessary?

Thanks again for the quick responses, looking forward to getting this thing up and running!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

The Full Sized S Pen works perfectly out of the box. My old Penabled pens need me to re-calibrate the screen, but then the S Pens are out of sync. Otherwise, they work without difficulty. (I have a couple of the old Toshiba branded ones and a stubby HP pen from an old Elitebook.)

I don't have a USB C charging dongle. I DO have a USB C hub which I use whenever I'm set up in off-site studio mode. (I connect my cool folding keyboard, USB stick and Ethernet to it. Works great.)

I don't really get why people want to charge with USB C rather than the power brick which comes with the computer. I'm not entirely sure what the advantage is. Perhaps universality?

4. thatcomicsguy

I did a little digging; the update is a giant bundle of updated drivers and bios upgrades which you can select among or just do all of. The initial download was for an interactive update window. Pretty cool, actually. I'm in the middle of installing all that stuff now. If I vanish for a while, it means either it's so interesting that I can't tear myself away from all the dazzling wonder long enough to post here or.., my system bricked.

Stay tuned...

screenshot.1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  5. thatcomicsguy

Well... I updated and everything went more or less smoothly and my computer is still a computer and not a brick.

No major changes to note. (I had hoped that maybe the Windows Ink / WinTab interaction with Clip Studio Paint would be improved, but nope.)

Okay. Enough mucking around. Looks like I'm out of excuses. Back to drawing. Ugh. It's not a fun work night... Hard to focus.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    HeavyHanded and WillAdams like this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

So.., my full-sized S Pen just died. It was working last night and the only change I made was.., nothing. I was drawing with it just yesterday, and now it just stopped.

The toothpick still works.

I mucked around with drivers, but it doesn't make any difference. I won't be 100% certain until I can get home to test it out there on other devices, but I think I may have just witnessed my first total hardware failure of a Wacom EMR pen. -Which is surprising; those things have proven pretty much indestructible over the years.

Anyway...

Look what I found:

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132638690156?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true

S Pen (toothpick) holders are a great idea, but they have been out of circulation for years and I've never seen one available anywhere.

But some fellow in China just put up a small stash of them on eBay.

$8.99 CAD plus shipping. Keen.

I just bought one; even if I can get my regular S Pen working again, then this is still a pretty cool thing to have.

I was also looking at those Wacom Bamboo Smart pens which work on Samsung devices, but they're over $100! They're also a discontinued line, (thanks Wacom. We all know why.) I may buy one anyway, if it turns out that my current stylus really is dead.

UPDATE**************

This pen arrived and it's sort of both excellent and totally useless. Read my post about it all here.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  7. thatcomicsguy

Stupid Pen Update...

So, after a few days of working with a Toshiba Penabled stylus, I can report the following:

It works for navigation and general tasks, and even for penciling it has proven quite rewarding to use, but for inking...

It becomes an exercise in annoyance.

Why?

Well.., with penciling, you generally keep your hand and stylus oriented in the same direction. -This allows the calibrated pen nib to always stay right over the cursor dot, (or close enough to it to be effective and trouble free).

But for inking...

To achieve a good line, it often becomes necessary to rotate one's hand around to an optimum angle for the drawing of certain curves or straight lines. That optimum angle changes moment to moment according to the needs of the drawing, and this results in a whole secondary randomly shifting vector being included in whatever math the calibration software needs to do. And that's a problem.

The relevant antenna circuitry in an old Penabled stylus is set a few millimeters back from where it would be found in a Samsung S Pen, -which is what creates the offset problem in the first place. This can be adjusted for with Window's native calibration tool, but when you also change the angle of attack between nib and canvas.., well, the Microsoft tool isn't sophisticated enough to account for that extra information, so you get unexpected offset effects which makes inking a pain in the arse.

Penciling, lettering (and presumably, note-taking), don't create an issue. But when it comes time to lay down sharp black lines on my characters and backgrounds, I have to do that at home on my desktop machine where offset isn't a problem.

Thankfully, the Samsung pen holder which I ordered last week to replace my broken S Pen, has crossed the border and should be in my mailbox fairly soon.

(Though, that's also a half measure. What I'm really waiting for is the Wacom Bamboo stylus which is shipping on a slow boat from Japan and may arrive any time between early July and mid August.)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  8. Sergei

Sergei Digital Artist

I have one of those [Samsung S-pen holders] for my first-generation (Galaxy Note 1) toothpick. It certainly looks identical. Actually I'd forgot I had it, and so I'm using it now...

The 1st-gen pen inside it feels distinctly less pressure-sensitive on my Note 4 than its native pen, and has a bigger blunter nib.

My Note 4 pen doesn't fit inside the barrel, so I imagine the Notebook 9 one won't either.

But it feels nicely weighted and balanced, and it's good to have a spare. Thanks for reminding me!

ANYWAY... My hand is poised over the purchase button, I can finally afford a Notebook 9 Pro 15” (8th-gen), my birthday is coming up, and someone is selling one on Amazon with pretty reasonable delivery to Ireland. My only question is, after humming and hawing for almost a year, is this still the greatest thing since sliced bread?

I want Wacom EMR, and I'm a fan of Samsung's implementation. I want a device with a large, large screen, good colour accuracy, and the grunt to make Photoshop etc run smoothly. It will also be the only new PC I'll be able to afford for a couple of years, so it must be a versatile all-rounder too.

So... this seems as near to ideal as I could imagine - maybe better than I could imagine. My only question: Have I missed something recent (or coming soon) that's even better?

Advice as soon as possible please, my hand is trembling!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Interesting, something like that might explain why trying to ink on my Sony DPT-RP1 with the screen upside down was a total disaster. Huge offset for anything other than the calibrated orientation.

10. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Tell me about your original s-pen please. The s-pen I received with the holder can barely make a mark without a ton of pressure held vertically, and that's just unusable.

I'm thinking of tracking down a replacement on ebay or just straight up hacking another Galaxy Pen to fit in that pen holder. Because I really like that pen holder and want to use it. (I have a couple of knock off s-pens I could experiment on.)

Eh, to be fair, Wacom EMR always had this issue to some extent. The new s-pens probably use tilt info to help stay on calibration, so on older EMR pens it's really amplifying the off-angled offset.