Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

They HAVE improved, but not by a mile. It still freaks out a bit, but it will settle down after a while. If you hade programs open on the secondary screen they have to find their place on the primary.

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I finally got a chance to try the N9P 15 G8 with some video and it performed much better than the G7 model. I wouldn't say it's ideal if video editing is a major part of your workflow but it seems reasonable enough for regular editing tasks.

I also ran the Blender 3D BMW benchmark render on both machines.

The Gen 8 clearly out performs the Gen 7 model in this test.

Render time for the Gen 7 was 24:25 No under voltage applied
    Render time for the Gen 8 was 13:13 Under voltage applied

Click on the thumbnails below to see the HWMonitor details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can download the BMW test file here > https://www.blender.org/download/demo-files/ .
    I used Blender Portable V 2.79b
    Blender Download Desktop Version > https://www.blender.org/download/
    Blender Download Portable Version > https://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/blender_portable

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Art_N00b and WillAdams like this.
  3. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

How is battery life with under volted 8th gen compared to the non under volted 7th gen?

4. Shizaru

I very rarely use the battery for any extended length of time so I can't really give you a meaningful answer to that question I'm afraid.

If you know of an automated battery test send me a link and I will run it and let you know the results.

I haven't under volted the Gen 7 as it never seems to get overly hot.

5. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Under normal use how much battery life would you say drains after 30 minutes or an hour? Not extensive by any means, but isn't as labor intensive. Otherwise not sure of a particularly reliable program.

6. Shizaru

I cant say I have noticed but I will try to remember to unplug it and keep an eye on the percentage when I watch a movie or something. I only charge to 85% and rarely have the monitor above 25% bluetooth and wireless are always on. The other problem is I'm not using the Gen 7 much so I will need to remember to swap them over.

It would be easier if there was a tool to test with that records battery drain and runs a few apps in a controlled method. I doubt I will give very good information doing it manually.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Cris

Cris Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everybody !
    I just got my n9p and its great.
    Just a couple of issues that I need a little help with:

All of this happens in Zbrush, the other apps work fine.

1- I loose pressure after opening a file.

2- There is a initial pen input lag at the beginning of the strokes and other interactions with the program.
    I saw that GunplaCyril had this problem but I dont know if he was able to solve it.

Things I did:
    -Installed wintab from surface
    -Uninstalled the samsung air commands or whatever its called.
    -Turn off hold for right click (for pen and touch)

I couldn't turn off Flicks because the panel doesn't exist anymore in the latest version of win 10..... :O

In Sketchbook pro the pen works perfect, no initial lag or anything.

So.... maybe this is connected to the wintab.....

Or its a Flicks thing...... but I cant turn off a panel that its not there anymore....

Any help is welcome :)

8. bitenvy

bitenvy Pen Pal - Newbie

My N9P just arrived in the mail today :)

The USB-C charger you recommended is no longer available on Amazon.... any luck finding a higher watts one that works? Does anyone else have any recommendations?

I've gone through a bunch of the posts in this thread, and was just wondering if anyone can give a quick summary of what to install (wintab vs win ink), turn off, etc. Has there been any luck getting any wacom drivers to work?

Thanks!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A fair question! First of all.., No, Wacom drivers do not work on this computer and probably never will unless something big changes. Second of all...

The basic items for new users include:

1. Getting the Pen button to perform a hover click, (and other functions). Follow these instructions:

There is also another solution for the hover click problem. It uses AutoHotKey, and apparently works quite well. I've never tried it and I can't find the link right now, but it will probably show up on Google. It is mentioned either in this thread or the Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread, as both computers are nearly identical in many respects (other than chassis design).

2. Getting a bigger, better Pen.

The "Full Sized S Pen" is the way to go:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EJ-P...pID=31QNlEdotLL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

You can, if you feel like re-mapping the digitizer, get any old Penabled pen to work as well, but the stylus linked above has a far superior IAF. A worthwhile purchase.

3. Windows 10 updates which will break your computer.

Microsoft updates from late 2017, early 2018 to the present have included some catastrophic nonsense which threw, in particular, Photoshop users for a major loop. There are a few solutions.

3a. One is a background registry hack which is necessary if you want to actually draw with your pen rather than just grab and pan around your canvas. That solution can be found here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windowsink/comments/8508fi/controlling_pen_behavior_in_windows_10/

3b. The other solution to this problem, just for Photoshop, is to follow these instructions lifted from somewhere on the web:

3c. This is my preferred solution; use an older version of Windows 10 from mid-2017 which wasn't broken and then prevent it from updating.

This is for advanced users only; it's scorched earth stuff. Personally, I love it and have been happily working with this version of Windows 10 without any of the troubles everybody else is suffering under. Just follow these directions (if you dare!):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windowsink...pen_behavior_in_windows_10/dxagfr4/?context=0

4. Alternative pen driver: Wintab_x64_1.0.0.20

This should probably be at the top of the list rather than the bottom. While the Microsoft Windows Ink pen driver (built into Windows 10) has been improving and software providers like Adobe and Celsys are streamlining their products to work efficiently with it, you will want to have a copy of this old legacy driver on hand, (especially as it is required for some of the Photoshop fixes):

Follow the instructions on forum member, surfaceproartist's page to download:

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2015/6/2/new-download-link-for-n-trig-wintab-driver

~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's about all I can think of as being vital. My less vital suggestions for artists would include:

-Use ClipStudio Paint. It's awesome.
    -Use the latest Photoshop CC (2018). It works without some of my least favorite bugs for the first time in years.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Correction, the Full Sized Cintiq Styled HP Zbook X2 Pen is the way to go.....Hands down the best (Non-Cintiq) EMR Pen on the market. Still only one side switch, but you get the back end eraser. Works flawlessly with my Galaxy Book 10.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-zbook-x2-pen