Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And thats when you have to think outside the box. I'd imagine the "Slidenjoy" would be quite useful for a programmers not wanting to be confined to a single laptop screen. I would have some concern over the shortebed life span of the Notebook 9's hinge from having this dual screen contraption strapped to the back of the monitor....but it should be doable.

2017-05-08-09.40.58.jpg

thatcomicsguy and Art_N00b like this.
  2. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for not clarifying earlier, late night assignments sort of tire you out haha. I am an accountant, but in my field it's good knowledge to know Python coding on a basic level. Most of what I'll be doing won't need a second display and if I am doing some heavy coding that's what the Y580 is for at home. I don't expect either device to be chief in every area rather to fill a more mobile computer and drawing tablet need.

Funny enough, I've always used my 15.6" 1080p laptop at home, but when I did bring it out there were a few things running in my head.
    1. The sizable display is nice
    2. The keyboard feels good to type on
    3. Oy vey this thing takes up a ton of desk space
    4. Oy vey this thing's battery life is ****/ where the heck is the nearest outlet.
    Hypothetically if I had gotten a ThinkPad with much stellar battery life I'd probably only mention that, but still be a bit irked about the size. That puts into question why the 15" model N9P, simply put its ability to fold into a tablet form factor. Don't get me wrong I love my Y580, but from the get-go it was meant to replace a 10 year old dell desktop and due to the area I lived at the time having occasional power outages the laptop essentially functioned as a desktop with a built in APC.

As far as the N9P goes is the narrow 1080p format somewhat hard to work with? Also how is screen flex while drawing too?

To answer your question I'd probably say 50-50 on both areas. I retain information best when taking handwritten notes (digital or not) so I suppose I need to pay another visit to my local Best Buy that has both models and play around with those. I found the N9P while holding it one handed was less an issue of weight and more an issue of it being somewhat distracting to have my holding hand press on keys.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Personally I found the N9P 15" Gen 7 surprisingly nimble and not a problem when out and about. I agree though that it's not "holdable" like a smaller device would be.

I've had no noticeable screen flex or wobble while drawing. And that's saying a lot since I use a small IMAK stress ball to prop up the screen at an angle. That support only covers a fraction of the display and still no wobble!

My complaints are:
    -- I cannot touch-press buttons with my left hand while resting my right (drawing) hand on the screen (something the Zbook X2 can do)
    -- The pen button cannot be easily customized and my last attempt failed
    -- It has neither express keys nor a working detachable keyboard (Zbook has both, though really only needs one or the other imo)
    -- The track pad is not centered with the home row
    -- Sometimes comes out of sleep on its own and consequently eats battery. This is new and intermittent. I think it's a Windows issue.

I like, in no order:
    -- Nimble
    -- Screen size
    -- Screen quality
    -- Solid build quality
    -- Wacom digitizer. No parallax. Didn't even need calibration.
    -- Pen silo is great backup
    -- Fan noise is not annoying (I can be sensitive about this)
    -- Performance has been good and consistent. Runs drawing apps and Visual Studio with no problem.
    -- Survived a drop on parking lot pavement! :-O

Ambivalent:
    -- Battery life
    -- Drawing. I like it and I don't like it. Details above. If you don't need/want those same things I mention in "complaints", you should like drawing on this a lot.

I'm probably forgetting a few things, but then it speaks that these are the things I remember.

Shizaru and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the comprehensive list Art_N00b! I also wonder how much support or new models will come out for each device. The N9P no doubt, but it is a little concerning about the GB12 being somewhat similar to what happened with the Note Edge being somewhat of a one off.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've shared this setup before, (and my 12 year-old cheap-o digital camera isn't doing it any favors) but, this is what my portable setup looks like when I'm away from home and wanting to use the machine like a regular work station. I get to sit up straight like this! The folding keyboard is super cute. (So far it has survived the rigors of my backpack, but I've dinged the cable once already quite badly. We'll see how long it survives. The N9P itself, however, is easy to transport and the padded laptop sleeve in my backpack is a perfect solution.)

I don't use a mouse and don't miss one either. I navigate with my fingers or with the pen. Elbow on table, pen in hand.., going back to a mouse (when I'm at home) feels awkward, unnatural and far less precise. -We must remember that the mouse is the weird new tool here, historically speaking; fingers and pointing sticks are much more ancient.

N9P-at-work2.jpg

N9P-at-work1.jpg

The little wooden thing allows me to quickly flip the whole arrangement into a drafting board at will.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Shizaru and darkmagistric like this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

When it's time to draw...

N9P-at-work3.jpg

7. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Pretty darn impressive sir! Simple and working! I like that haha.

8. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is something I was wondering.

At the moment I own a 32" IPS 16:9 1080p monitor w/ 72% color gamut (Adobe RGB I think). Hypothetically, since the Notebook 9 Pro has a similar resolution, screen ratio and fairly close color gamut to my larger monitor wouldn't that make it more optimal than say a Galaxy Book 12 that has a 3:2 1440p w/ full Adobe RGB screen?

9. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Some time ago, I had a Microsoft Surface Book which I would hook up to an external monitor with a different resolution and aspect ratio. Things worked fine at that point. But if the machine went to sleep and then was woken up without the monitor (e.g. I dared to take the Surface Book out to a coffee shop), Windows would freak out with weird effects, rearranging icons, etc. It was awful. That was in early 2017 though so I don't know if things have improved since then.

Based on that experience, I would say "tentatively yes", you may have a smoother experience with an external monitor that has identical resolution (1080p).

Theme57 likes this.
  10. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a similar experience. Back when I used an older 768p TV and hooked it up to my Y580 1080p, maybe a year ago, windows had a habit of rearranging the icons as it pleased whenever I would use the native display of the laptop. This has not been the case with my current setup running identical resolution and screen ratio. Hmm, the Notebook 9 Pro is looking all the more better, heck even the Wacom MSP has a 16:9 screen ratio.