Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

The percentage drop isn't that great but the impact on heat has been dramatic. Here are the HWMontitor stats together the second set of stats has been running since I set-up ThrottleStop and I ran a few stress tests which ran the CPU at 100% for a reasonable period of time and the system didn't get anywhere near has hot as it had been getting. I haven't got everything open that I had previously so I can't give an apples to apples comparison but it is noticeably cooler. I will have a better idea after a day or so of more normal use.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Left is Pre Under Voltage state (don't ask me why the form layout changes because I have no idea). I can probably up the Turbo to increase the core MHz without suffering a temp penalty, but I will hold off on that until I have a better idea of performance in its current state.

Edited images to align for easier side by side comparison. Click on either image to see a larger version.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Art_N00b likes this.
  2. Shizaru

Pleased to report that knocking back the Voltage has been a success so far, the heat levels are tamed and I haven't noticed any drop in performance doing normal day to day tasks. I haven't really pushed the machine yet though. I reran CineBench and 3DMark and added the results in green in my post on the previous page. There were some minor changes in the numbers most notably in the CineBench Single core test.

The Temps in HWMonitor have remained the same as in the second set of results above, even though I ran CineBench and 3DMark which did increase fan noise and caused heat elevation in the usual hot spots on the keyboard and case. Those increases seem less than I remember experiencing in the previous test I have done.

The machine is much more pleasant to use following the UnderVoltage change - would highly recommend giving it a go if you have an N9P Gen 8 and the temps bother you.

I think I may kick the Turbo values up a notch later and see what the results of that are, and hopefully bring the single core score up a little.

WillAdams and Art_N00b like this.
  3. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone I am going back and forth between the GB12 and the Notebook 9 Pro 13"/15". Any reason to go with the Notebook 9 Pro over the GB12? What about the screen size between the 13" and 15" models? Primary use is for school (accounting major) and 2D digital art. The laptop will essentially function as a mobile drawing tablet that fills the need of a school laptop, notebook replacement and drawing tablet.

4. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

The nice thing about the 15" is that you can have your various art palettes on screen and still have nice room to draw. I also find it fairly easy to port around. It's light and nimble.

But if money is a factor, people like the 13" and GB12 as well.

5. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Money is not so much a factor as is overall usability and life usage. Size is somewhat of a concern since this will be on the go for me. In your experience how was battery life with the 15" size? Typical use will be screen brightness at 50% w/ wifi on. I suppose I'll need to pay Best Buy another visit and try all three options in person again.

6. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

7. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

8. Shizaru

I currently have both so if you want any comparison tests done let me know and I will do what I can to give you an answer.

Both versions are great machines but the Gen 8 has more compute power so if you do 3D, Video Editing or Virtualisation the Gen 8 is the way to go imho. It runs hotter than the Gen 7 but Undervolt a little and that's no longer an issue...performance remains pretty much the same.

For the day to day stuff I do including 2D art the Gen 7 was/is fine and I have no complaints. I use virtual machines and occasionally edit video and the Gen 7 wasn't great at those tasks. I haven't tested Video editing on the Gen 8 yet so I cant say how much of an improvement it gives. The Gen 8 is much better for VM's mostly because you can give the VM two cores, or run two single core VM's.

I looked at the Galaxy Book 12 which is available in the UK, but in the end I decided to import the N9P as it's more suitable for my needs. I like the flexibility of the 2 in 1 and for a 15" device the N9P is very portable and easy to manage, while retaining decent performance. I'm not bothered about the higher res 1920x1080 does it for me and the screen is bright and sharp. At 15" you get a very decent workspace even though it is at 1920x1080.

The build quality of the N9P is first class very solid and nice to handle. Keyboard and trackpad are also really nice to use. Decent port choices. 16GB of ram is nice to have especially running VM's. It's also nice to have a pen stowed away in the unit for emergencies. I haven't had to rely on it so far but it's nice to know it's there. The EMR pen experience is extremely good, and the main reason for buying either the GB12 or N9P over other brands with similar specs imho. The 15" has the advantage of a dedicated GPU which is great if the applications you use make use of it. You can use the N9P 15" for gaming even with relatively demanding games at lower settings.

Cons:
    The 256GB M.2 SATA SSD is disappointing but usable if you manage your file storage. The upside is it's easy to upgrade the SSD to an NVMe with more capacity. The Micro SD slot is very slow and the USB C is only Gen 1. For me the battery life is okay but others aren't so easily pleased. The speakers are lacking but not really worse than most other devices of this class. Samsung have messed with the pen button functionality which isn't a deal breaker once you work around that. Although in some applications the work around doesn't do the trick in my experience (Krita's pop-up menu for example). The N9P isn't going to be ideal if you need to hold it in one hand for an extended period of time.

Personally I think the N9P 15" is a great device and I honestly have no complaints, other than the lack of a Gen 2 USB-C. Samsung should have gone with a Thunderbolt 3 connection on this machine.

The GB12 has it's strengths if you want higher res and more portability, and don't require the functionality/utility you get from a more conventional laptop/2in1 device.

The new Notebook Pen may also be worth checking out if you want something that's more portable but has the advantages of a 2in1.

Lisa did a review in the N9 Pen 13" recently.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Art_N00b likes this.
  9. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the offer. I think I'll be fine and the 7th gen seems like it would be the better option since tasks will mostly be Python coding, Excel and other school related assignments. Live2D will probably be the most demanding program I use. I do own a Lenovo y580 that acts as my primary computer (don't take it out much due to poor battery life) that I use for heavier tasks, video editing and the like, which is also hooked up in screen extend mode to a 32" 1080p IPS monitor. 256GB is more than enough in a mobile device, heck I'd be happy with 128GB so long as it has 8GB RAM with at least an i5 CPU. I have never found myself, nor preferring, to type on my lap. Any typing will be on a desk with a worse case scenario on carpet or a soft bed in very rare cases.

Apologies if I seem to be going back and forth. This is a somewhat major purchase as I've been using an Intuos Small tablet and sketching on paper daily for the past years with great progress. I figure instead of dropping 400 - 600 on a traditional drawing tablet, to spend a little extra since I'm also in the market for a decent school laptop in the 400 - 600 range on a laptop type device with great drawing capabilities. Primary use will be for school w/ some office while acting as a mobile cintiq on the go or hooked up to a large monitor for cintiq like utility at home.This will be my primary mobile computer/drawing tablet device for 4 - 5 years until I make enough post-grad to afford another device.

I think what is holding me back between both models since I enjoy both their keyboards, Wacom EMR, and relative mobility (even the 15") is use case really. The GB12 draws me in for its Surface Pro like size, form factor and screen resolution. I am worried it might somewhat be a handicap due to its size in the long run (iPad and Surface Pro users don't seem to think so). I do not mind carrying a dongle or adapter for USB-A or HDMI as the size of the device itself makes up for it. The N9P draws me in for its wonderful 15" screen, ports, and an easier time replacing the battery if it goes bad. I am apprehensive about the overall bulk/weight over time, that it's fairly awkward to hold in one hand and having to take extra care to not damage the or lower chassis when setting it on a flat surface in tablet mode.

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You're a programmer? It's all about screen real estate, then, isn't it?

One or two windows for code, and another for the, "What does it look like when I run it?" Doing that on a 12" screen seems needlessly crazy-making to me.

And you're coming from a laptop with a 15.6" 1080p screen? Let me ask: was that big enough for your studies? Did you ever wish, "Damn, this should be smaller!"

The N9P is not a good clip-board style tablet. It's simply not comfortable to hold while standing. For drawing, I use it mostly propped at an angle into a drafting board. -While sitting in a couch or something, it's not too bad to hold and sketch with in your lap, though the narrow 1080p format is far from ideal. It's best while working at a table.

So I think it boils down to that question:

What is your primary need? Working while standing and holding it like a clip board, or sitting down and working at a table for long periods?