Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Let me see if I understand correctly the problem with pan and zoom.
    With fall creators update the pen behaviour in windows 10 changed, creating problems between the pen and pan/zoom using wacom devices. I think it was somewhat resolved by Adobe with an update, BUT it was reported happening again after a recent windows update.

It can be partly resolved if your problem with pan and zoom is the same by installing wintab and have Photoshop use that. Or uninstalling the windows update that caused it.
    At least it works on Photoshop CC2018.
    CS6 doesn't support touch gestures and doesn't get updates, so I don't know if there's a way to entirely find a resolution for this problem. Aside Microsoft getting back to the original pen behaviour.

GunplaCyril likes this.
  2. GunplaCyril

GunplaCyril Pen Pal - Newbie

@Azzart I caved, just subscribed to photoshop cc, there is no issues anymore with pen input anymore, everything works perfectly fine, though I'd rather pay one big payment for software, but for my use case nothing is better than photoshop.

Anyone here try Affinity photo? Everything works great for me as a photoshop replacement, except for one glaring issue: there is no right click function at all. I need my right click brush pop up menu!

3. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

What's the current working approach to customize the pen button click on this machine on Windows 10 FCU? I tried disabling "Samsung Pen Service" and relaunching Radial Menu, but it's not working.

I searched and browsed through this thread, but it's huge and I couldn't find the latest info on this.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm afraid I can't help you with that, BUT I am thinking of upgrading to the FCU, so I might be right there along with you. I was hoping you could run a short test for me...

It's just the squiggle test to see if the FCU addressed the Windows Ink / WinTab line quality bug which has been.., bugging me since I got this machine. Just a small, slowly drawn squiggle in CSP with stabilization turned off, done with each driver.

I want to see if the FCU is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of proposition. -If that button won't work (with hover click) in the FCU, then I don't know what to think about upgrading...

5. Art_N00b

After updating to FCU, getting all Windows updates, getting all Samsung updates (which means all driver updates as well), I did some drawing in CSP. During normal drawing, I saw no problems. During test-squiggle drawing, I saw no problems either. It's all smooth as butter.

I have only used WinInk, no WinTab. Also, I have both flicks and long-press-to-right-click turned off per earlier advice in this thread.

Btw my right click actually broke some time before I upgraded. And that was back when I also was avoiding Samsung updates as well. Don't know what's up with that.

We're so f***ing close...

Well actually, I also want a two button pen. :)

It never ends...

6. Art_N00b

On a whim, I grabbed a "stress ball" which is like a mini-bean-bag and used it to prop up the screen when I have the notebook folded back. It makes for a very nice drawing angle, and by sliding it around you can fine tune that angle. I'm using this particular one:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FA0XQK/

So no stand needed at all, and I don't have to draw flat either.

You'd think it might wobble and/or slide around, but it does neither once I smoosh it down. Totally solid.

7. Art_N00b

Are there any two button pens that will work this machine? I already tried my fav pen of all time, the Wacom Pro Pen 2. It didn't work; I cried.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The HP Zbook X2 pen which has a (single) side button and eraser ought to work.

9. Art_N00b

I already have it. The Wacom Pro Pen 2 has two buttons. You can, for example, assign one to Alt for color picking and the other to Right Click. Very convenient.

EDIT: P.S. Does anyone know why the Wacom Pro Pen 2 won't work with the EMR in the Wacom digitizer in the Samsung?

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Different boards, the pro & consumer boards have never been interoperable.

Art_N00b likes this.