Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Okay...

So this next test shows where Windows Ink falls down...

The point of this test: The primary image is a large object, (a window with curtains), which needs to be zoomed out pretty far so that the whole image can be seen at the same time; trying to ink while zoomed into specific portions of the line work is impractical for a picture of this sort. That's where the problems come up with Windows Ink, and where switching to the WinTab driver can help mitigate the jitter effect.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Tams and Art_N00b like this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I remember the Galaxy Book had a similar problem with windows ink.
    Curious enough any problem with windows ink went away when the Fall Creators Update was installed.
    I didn't even bother to use the wintab anymore then.

Art_N00b likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

Wellllll, isn't that just a fine pickle.

Can you try some line tests like the ones here to make sure before I go and re-configure my entire world view? (Small and slow with Windows Ink, no stabilization in CSP). Thanks!

(Egad.:confused:)

4. Azzart

Sadly nope, I sold it two days ago. :)
    I remember after the update wintab didn't work anymore for unknown reasons and I was too lazy in that moment to reinstall it: that's when I discovered windows ink seemed to be working fine in Clip Studio. Then I installed the wintab driver again and after some testing I couldn't notice any difference between the two so I stopped using wintab altogether.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

Is anybody running the FCU on this machine who can perform that test?

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I never ever see that kind of result with Windows Ink on any machine. I wish I could tell you what "voodoo magic deal-with-the-devil" I've made that makes me so fortunate!

7. GunplaCyril

GunplaCyril Pen Pal - Newbie

After a putting a few weeks of use on my notebook 9 pro, i'm glad to say its a great investment. Only one slight issue came up, and that was a weird half second initial pen input lag inside zbrush and photoshop, this happens whenever I started my brush strokes, not a huge issue, but annoying nonetheless.

If anyone is experiencing the same issue, search "flicks" inside the control panel, and disable flicks, and under pen options disable "hold for right click." Now my brush strokes in zbrush and photoshop are super sensitive from the lightest touch, no more inital pen input lag.

Stupid windows "features" as usual...

Art_N00b likes this.
  8. GunplaCyril

Actually, I have to amend my previous post...

When I disable "hold for right click" functions, it breaks photoshop cs6... zooming, and moving across the canvas is choppy. If I keep "hold for right click" enabled, I can ever so slightly recognize the initial pen input lag, which is a windows 10 feature, because it is actually trying to register the "hold for right click" function, and after my stroke reaches a certain distance from initial position, its like the brush is trying to catch up to my actual pen position. If I have it off, the pen is super responsive from the start of my stroke, but zoom and panning is broken :(

9. Azzart

Search and install the wintab driver for surface devices from Microsoft, then do the following to force Photoshop to use wintab:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/tablet-support-faq-photoshop.html

It's the usual Fall Creators Update affecting pen input I'd say. Until Microsoft makes amend for it there's no other solution if you use an old version of PS.

10. GunplaCyril

@Azzart Nope still not working for me. Krita is super responsive, heck even the windows ink sketchpad is responsive right from the initial touch with/without "hold for right click" enabled.

I don't want to purchase photoshop cc just to be let down again by photoshop, its not a big deal, but it breaks simple sketching for me on photoshop, since there is immersion disconnect with not seeing your initial mark not being registered in the first few miliseconds, I have to continue my stroke about .5mm to see the stroke actually exist... I can turn it off, but it outright breaks zoom function.

Anybody here experiencing this on photoshop? The initial brush stroke delay "feature" lol.