Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. JMac

JMac Pen Pal - Newbie

Had an opportunity to spend some time with both the 13" & 15" models today.

@harrodeleted - you nailed the mini-review, although I barely had any heat blowing out of the fans (you probably had more programs running). I'm a bit torn right now. As much as I like the Surface Laptop, these machines add a few components that I wish the SL had: (1) Faster SSD, processor & RAM
    (2) microSD card reader (3) S-Pen. As always there's a few compromises, mainly, the SL has the better screen and the 3:2 aspect ratio.

I'm thinking about purchasing the N9P to do a comparison because it is so good & I'm still in the MS return window. Going to give it a few days before I decide.

Stay tuned.....

harrodeleted and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A fairly enthusiastic review over on laptopmag.com...

The stylus appears to be well-received by reviewers in general.

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/samsung-notebook-9-pro-15-inch

The battery life, while less than that of modern competitors, still sounds pretty great at just shy of 7 hours. Frankly, anything over 3 hours still seems remarkable to me, and anything over 5, like sci-fi!

I've not read anything about its repairability, which components are soldered, or if you can even open it up easily. The previous generation in the Notebook 9 series (sans pen) could be opened up with a screwdriver simply enough, had soldered memory and a soldered Wifi card, but the SSD could be swapped out. And the battery looked quite user-replaceable, (though being an internal battery, it might be on the expensive side to order a replacement. You never know which way that will go, but I suspect that gone are the days of $25 spares). If the 2017 flipable version has about the same level of user access, then I think I'd be okay with that.

I find myself really wanting to get my hands on one of these new machines! I might even be compelled to pay the premium to do so. However, it's looking like it may take some fairly complicated hoop jumping or even pseudo black marketeering to get one in Canada. It'll also probably be in the neighborhood of $2000 CanBux when all is said and done.

Hmm...

More watching and waiting, I guess...

EDIT****************

Oooh

Just found a review where they opened it up!

https://radeon.com/en-us/hands-on-with-the-samsung-notebook-9-pro/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Sergei, Marty and JMac like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    JoeS, Sergei and JMac like this.
  4. Sergei

Sergei Digital Artist

I couldn't agree more. The 15" looks ideal for me as a digital cartoonist and designer.

I've been trying to settle on a new tablet to replace my aging CF19 for around a year now. I've been strongly tempted by the Surface. I even (horror!) looked at the iPad Pro. But this thing is ticking so many boxes - and tripping a whole bank of techno-lust alarms.

Yes there are things I wish it did have; Windows 10 Pro, a 3:4 screen maybe, of higher resolution, a bit more battery life. But none of these are deal-breakers to me, and weighed in the balance we have the largest-ever screen with the S pen (with tilt yet!), plenty RAM, really fast basics, some worthwhile graphics acceleration for Photoshop, pro-level colour accuracy, and a light, flexible form factor. There may not be many reviews yet, but I am already dangerously close to "shut up and take my money"...

Is it really the best choice for an artist?

My first priority is the pen of course. While I do need a good all-round portable computer to do everything else a computer does, in particular my web design work, the pen experience is the single most important factor. I've been using Wacom EMR for 15 years or so, but I'm not theoretically wedded to it. I haven't tested Microsoft's new N-trig iteration yet, or even read a good artist-oriented assessment (anybody know of one?), but its calibration-free accuracy sounds interesting. However the consensus from sources I trust - like this site - seems to be that EMR is still the way to go for artists.

So I'm particularly excited that this is by Samsung. I love my Note 4 for drawing - despite its relatively miniscule size it's taken over from the CF19 as my main canvas - and I have confidence in Samsung's ability to implement EMR properly. Until this came along, the Galaxy Book 12" seemed like the obvious choice for me. I crave that superAMOLED display! But this looks like a significantly more powerful and flexible device.

Before I sound like a complete Samsung fanboi, I also crave the Toughbook CF20 - for its robustness and real-world practicality (and the sheer "WTF is that?" factor!). My CF18 was my first tablet love, it will be a wrench to leave that rugged world. But even leaving aside factors of cost and weight, I don't think Panasonic ever implemented Wacom EMR as well as Samsung. (Or at least, as well as Samsung did on Android.)

So also high on my shortlist is the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2. And I may still go for it - despite its price and its shortcomings as an all-purpose tablet PC - if I can be convinced that it is a significantly better pen experience. But right now, this 15" Notebook 9 Pro is looking to me like the single best all-round drawing device I can get.

I will have to hide my wallet.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    JMac, thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  5. Sergei

Sergei Digital Artist

Agreed! :D

Also, I don't think anyone linked this rave review from Techradar yet:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/samsung-notebook-9-pro

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

I'm not 100% certain which Wacom alternative stylus is designed to work with this particular Samsung device, but I understand that at least one of them does so. -My primary concern with the Notebook 9 Pro is that the included S-Pen is a tad on the teeny-tiny side.

But these Bamboo pens look fantastic.

https://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/stylus/bamboo-smart-for-samsung-galaxy-note

[​IMG]Compatibility chart here...

http://bamboostylus.wacom.com/compatibility/

JMac and WillAdams like this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Writing this out now on a Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus --- it and the Galaxy Book are my new favorite things, and if it lasts a decently long time, may rival my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121

JMac and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

Just adding a picture for everybody's referential convenience:

[​IMG]

For a while, I was dissuaded by Samsung gear because all the S-Pens were so tooth-picky, but it appears that there are some real options now available!

:)

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

No corrections, no rewrites?

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think I had to rewrite/ correct Staedtler and it took two tries to get all three hyphens for the TeX style em-dash, but I'm finally getting used to Windows 8/10 HWR.