Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I downloaded the beta, but it wanted me to create an account in order to try it. Annoying, but okay. Then it said it couldn't connect to the server. I fiddled with my firewall with no luck.

Uninstalled.

-I find the difficulty with vector art drawing programs, like Mischief, is that vector logic has a hard time when I want to scribble-fill areas. The computer doesn't realize that I've switched from wanting precise lines to wanting to just black out a spot. It tries to calculate a few dozen scribble motions when I'm thinking, "This is just going to be a big dot, so all that mad math isn't really necessary, thanks. Plus, you rendered it wrong."

There are probably ways I could re-program my muscle memory, but this old dog isn't going to bother learning that new trick when raster serves me perfectly well.

But it would be nice to try out anyway. -There have probably been upgrades made in the last few years to the coding approach to these kinds of problems. I'm sure they're aware of their own limitations.

I'll try again sometime.

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm with you on the vector issue when it comes to following a traditional process that seems natural. Having said that the scale ability and direct line manipulation of vectors is a huge advantage, which can be a big time saver. For logos or commercial graphics it's really hard to beat if the artwork needs to be presented in different environments at various scales.

I haven't had much time to play around with CSP much since installing it but when I have I have liked their approach to vector tools in combination with raster layers. I need to figure a few things out before I can become less reliant on Gimp and to a lesser extent Krita.

I'm surprised that you don't find vectors useful for creating assets that you can reuse in your comics. For example you could draw a car from a few angles and then reuse, re-scale and adjust them in new episodes, rather than having to redrawing them. Similarly vectored background elements like city skylines etc. could simply be re-scale provided the perspective remained relevant. I'm sure you have your reasons and you probably don't have a need to repeatedly use the same elements often enough to warrant using vectors as part of your regular workflow?

I haven't tried the tried the beta I just keep an eye on the development to see what progress is being made. I noticed someone mention it again a week or so ago with respect to funding a project to get Vpaint used as a new layer option in OpenToonz, which seemed like a cool idea to me. I'm not an animator but I like to mess with some simple animation now and then, and having the ability to manipulate drawings like that would be a major leap forward and help save a lot of time.

If you followed the second link you will have seen this but I thought adding the video directly may be more useful.

On a more topical note I'm seriously considering getting another N9 Pro with the Gen 8 as the opportunity has presented its self. Has anyone here had hands on experience with both the Gen 7 and Gen 8 models? The extra cores are my primary interest for running VM's, but I'm interested to know if anyone has any other positives to report with respect to performance, cooler running and extended battery life etc?

If I didn't have a use for VM's the Gen 7 would still be more than adequate for my daily needs to be honest. It's by far my favorite machine with its great build quality, flexible form factor and all round performance...it hasn't missed a beat since I got it. In fact I already run a Linux VM without too much of an issue for basic tasks such as a sandbox machine and completely disposable browser sessions. The ability to dedicate two cores to the VM will make the Linux machine much more useful in the long term.

Oh and for anyone interested Best Buy have a $100 discount running on the N9 Pro 15" at the moment bringing it down to $1250 and the Samsung 128GB microSD EVO is currently going for $50. Open Box N9 Pro 15's are available for between $1125 and $1162.

thatcomicsguy and Art_N00b like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

Well, it was only a matter of time.

I unscrewed the back panel and opened up my N9P last night. I needed to perform some simple surgery.

Because I managed to brick my system. Aheh.

-I noticed that things were laggy and that the computer wasn't hibernating properly when I was closing the lid. Turns out the update service had re-activated itself from the 'disabled' state I'd put it in and was eagerly downloading and installing unknown **** in the background without having asked me first.

I don't know if this sort of thing had been going on simply without my having noticed for the past few months, (doubt it), or if it was the result of my having downloaded a couple of specific updates I'd been fear-mongered into installing a few weeks ago. Either way, I was pretty ticked off.

Every time I swatted the processes down, they would start up again half an hour later.

So I isolated the executable responsible, researched how to navigate the complicated gauntlet of changing permissions, and stopped Windows software from accessing it. The executable was...

"svchost.exe"

Yeah. That was a bad move. In my defense, I'm still getting over a flu bug and was a bit foggy around the edges.

Microsoft uses that little program the same way the U.S. Congress will sometimes pass innocuous water treatment bills with tacked on small print riders which grant loony and totally NOT water treatment related Homeland Security surveillance and rendition powers.

Windows Update uses the same bit of code that the basic login screen needs to run. If you disable it thinking, "F-you, Windows Update" well, now the front page login screen hangs perpetually. Bricked my system.

THIS kind of thing is exactly why I bought a spare SSD and cloned my operating system.

A quick swap and I'm back up and running again. -HOPEFULLY to a state before whatever changes happened that allowed Windows Update to violate my computer.

Though, the experience has had some cool benefits. -I now know how to play the (deliberately?) obfuscated permissions/ownership game. It's pretty simple once you work it out, actually. My skill rating just went up a level. Keen!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    JoeS, Tams, hiramkey and 1 other person like this.
  4. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I really empathise with your pain, man. I've been having some stability issues with Win 10 myself of late. Same problem with svchost downloading stuff when it should not run.

I posted on notebookreview forum for help and instead came away with comments about my Windows intelligence level, or lack thereof. Nice folks over there.

Bronsky and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

Vector graphics have their place, for sure. Whenever I do logo design, it'd be short sighted to go with raster. But for comics...

One of the things I discovered over the years was that it's easier to simply learn how to draw faster than to create 3D models and re-usable vector graphics. I might on rare occasion re-use backgrounds between panels, (like when the only difference between panels is that a character blinks), but generally speaking, drawing every line myself fresh reflects that a real person is invested in the authenticity of the story world.

To learn this lesson, I spent many hours trying to build stuff in Sketchup and similar packages, only to realize my computer was too slow, the interfaces require a community college degree, and the results looked like the kind of manufactured cut & paste automated stuff I wince at when I see other comic artists doing it.

The furthest I'll stray from pure hand-eye work is to use photo references, but those take work to go and collect and they're usually one-offs. -Using wire frames leads artists to be lazy and re-use them too often. Things get visually stale really (really) fast that way. By contrast, when you personally have to draw everything fresh, the only way to stay sane is to actively find new and different ways to fill scenes. There's no free lunch in comics! If you don't work hard, everybody knows. If you do work hard, everybody KNOWS.

CSP even has a suite of 3D human figure dolls you can pose and drop in as wire frames. Heh. After spending more than half my life learning how to draw the human form, no way am I going to revert to lifeless G.I. Joe and Barbie cutouts which, nine times out of ten when you see them being used, fail to match the gravity, kinetics or surfaces rendered in a given scene.

To be fair, there are some super cool examples of 3D assists done well out in the wild, (mostly in Manga) but upon investigation, those cool examples require extra artists working on the project, making it more a 3D animation story board than a comic book production. I work alone, and comics are NOT movies. There is a whole world of visual techniques in comics which are more akin to dream-projection than to the hard limitations of 3D matrices. (Daffy Duck's eyes bugging out when surprised doesn't work in 3D. There's a reason for that, and it borders on the spiritual.)

If, however, I was telling stories about giant robots or fleets of Star Destroyers, I'd probably reconsider my position on the matter, but I'd want to be very strict in how I used them. It's far too easy to get lazy when there's a convenience at your disposal and the night is wearing into the wee hours and all you want is sleep. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  6. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not going to lie... that was good for a hearty belly laugh!!! :D

I never knew "svchost.exe" could be a punchline!

Bronsky, thatcomicsguy and hiramkey like this.
  7. GunplaCyril

GunplaCyril Pen Pal - Newbie

I just stumbled upon this forum, and am currently using a yoga 720 15.6 w/gtx 1050.

I just tried the notebook 9 pro at bestbuy, seems to be the only place to get it with 8th gen quad core cpu.

The laptop is amazing, I can immediately feel the difference from trying the s pen in comparison to my current stylus, bamboo ink. S pen is amazing! And the screen... its so much brighter than the yoga 720, I've been spoiled.

My main work is 3D modeling, I have a home pc that I use mostly to render large scenes and files, but I would love to get into matte painting and and concept illustration and introduce digital painting as a post process into my 3d renders. I recently bought the yoga 720 w i5 + 1080p display + 1050 for just over 1000 after taxes, but in comparison the samsung notebook 9 pro 15" is going for 1400+ after taxes. Any 3D modelers here that use this amazing machine (notebook 9 pro)??? What are your thoughts? Zbrush users? Blender/ maya/ cinema4d users? I would love to transition into this laptop from my yoga 720, but I just need 2nd and 3rd opinions to help me get over the fence, as price point is really keeping me back. Sorry for the wall of text :D

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. GunplaCyril

GunplaCyril Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay I caved, and got a notebook 9 pro 15 (8th gen i7) today. Connected to internet, and while updating windows, pen wouldn't register strokes anymore, still recognizes clicks and cursor position, but no strokes. Anyone here getting this problem?

Also, even after factory resetting the laptop, one of the cooling fans ALWAYS runs. Its not running at max speed, but its loud enough that its very noticeable and annoying, even when the laptop is not doing anything... Its weird cause its only one of the fans running, the 2nd one doesn't move until I stress the laptops performance. Anyone here getting that problem as well?

9. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Haven't had either problem though I'm on the previous 7th gen version. With problems like that, I would contact Samsung support ASAP and if there is not a speedy resolution, take the machine back within the return window. Sorry this is going poorly for you out of the gate.

GunplaCyril likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

New computers often exhibit this kind of behavior as Microsoft updates running invisibly in the background can be huge and processor demanding; it can take hours before a new machine reaches equilibrium.

If it doesn't settle down after a while, then maybe consider other options.

GunplaCyril likes this.