Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. fuglee

fuglee Pen Pal - Newbie

I got tired of waiting for the Acer Switch 7 and picked up the 15" Notebook 9 Pro a few weeks ago. Really grateful for this forum in helping me disable the air commands. Biggest issue is that I wish the screen had a more resolution, otherwise, almost perfect machine

Edited by Moderator: Link removed. Please see Forum Rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2018
    Art_N00b and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm glad that you highlighted the off center trackpad. I still think that's ridiculous!

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The GUI on the beta-SAI2 doesn't allow for navigation with finger input; it just does the finger paint thing, which is annoying. -And I didn't bother with it on my desktop, (no touch input there) since there are no Wacom driver issues on my Cintiq; perfect line reproduction at small and large sizes.

But give it a shot yourself to see. It's a free download. I think, once the rough edges are sanded down, it's going to be a pretty sweet art application, but it's not ready for prime time just yet. Close though..!

Art_N00b likes this.
  4. Art_N00b

I have to admit that one finger pan and two finger zoom-and-rotate are entry level requirements for me at this point.

The SAI guy should get a low yearly subscription fee going or Patreon. I wish he could work full time on it...

Selofain and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

I agree, and decided to offer him some feedback. He is explicit on his website about not having the time to answer emails, but I thought it would be worth sending him a message just in case:

~~~

Hello!

I've been following your development efforts with great interest!

The new SAI is coming along very well, I think and I wanted to congratulate you on your progress.

One of its strengths is in the brush engine. It is very smooth and responsive. -I have been using Clip Studio Paint for a couple of years now, but it has limitations in its Tablet drivers. (With big, fast brush strokes, it works best with the Windows Ink driver, but for small details, the WinTab driver provides much better control. It is annoying to have to switch back and forth between these two drivers while working on a project.) -One of the things I really like about the new SAI is that the drivers work *perfectly* in both ways. I am very much looking forward to being able to switch over to SAI once it is completed.

Once SAI provides finger-input navigation, (one finger panning, and two-finger rotate and pinch zoom), I will be able to switch!

I have an old license, but I would still like to be able to support your efforts.

Have you considered setting up a Patreon account? That might be a good way for people to offer support while you work.

Thank-you for your efforts!

-Mark Oakley

~~~

6. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh wow I’m only just now seeing this sorry about that I used these
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZSELP3O?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf I ordered 2 but don’t think I need that many. For me it was an experiment of trial and error. First I tried the chokes around the cpu/gpu and even the heat sink. I don’t recommend this it will make the base unbearably hot, there’s a hotspot right there and trying to dissipate that heat won’t yield much gains at all but you will be left with a burnt leg. After that I moved pads to the chokes further down, the area closer to the battery I removed one of the foam padding on the case so that the pads could contact what I believe to be the gpu vrm(there’s 4 of them in a line) to the case. All in all I don’t believe it’s necessary to use pads of any sort as the thermal solution Samsung provided is arguably the best this device could get. My pads are still in but I’ll remove them at some point soon and place the foam back in. If there’s someone more knowledgeable in where they should go they may have better yields though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Art_N00b

Does Leonardo pass the Oakley Driver Test for Artists(TM)? https://www.getleonardo.com/

8. thatcomicsguy

I gave it a shot a while back, but that was before I got my present tablet with its super-muscles. I can't remember what my reaction was at the time.

Either way, I'm not an "infinite canvas" kinda guy; vector art programs have built-in liabilities when it comes to inking and painting, but who knows in this case? Maybe they're doing something new. (I doubt it, but there's always the chance that some new genius has come up with a bit of world-changing code. In this case, they'd need something capable of hybridizing the strengths of both vector and raster graphics into a single, seemless input format. Though.., I feel like I would have read about that before now, if it had happened.)

I'll have to give it another try next time I'm in "Tablet Mode" and have a half hour to play around.

Thanks for reminding me of its existence!

9. Art_N00b

I don't know that they're using vectors under the hood like Mischief does. They have infinite pan, but they don't advertise infinite zoom.

Also, if you don't like the infinite format, you can set the canvas size at any time through the "Canvas" menu. FYI

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure if you're aware of VGC Illustration the developer has come up with some interesting solutions which will overcome some of the annoyances/limitations of regular vector line drawing processes, primarily for animation applications. I think this may have been discussed here on the forum some time back iirc?

Here's a presentation from 2014 which explains the concept and basic application.

More info here http://www.borisdalstein.com/research/vac/

thatcomicsguy likes this.