Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Excellent.
    It had better not. -The day it does is the day I retire and a robot takes my place without anybody noticing.

2. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

hi guys hoping you can help ive been using the Samsung book 12 and love the accuracy and the IAF only problem is the screen I wish was a tiny bit bigger so I bought the Samsung notebook pro 9 15....my question is on artrage im finding the IAF I have to press a bit to hard for my liking this is with the noris pen with the same pen on the book 12 I can get very light IAF I know on the book Samsung released the pressure setting but not on the notebook

3. thatcomicsguy

(Copied from the Software section of this forum. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/paint-tool-sai-v2-64bit-beta.64574/#post-513352)

I made some discoveries while exploring the latest review version of Paint Tool Sai 2 (Download the most recent copy here. It was published just a few days before the start of the 2018 New Year, so it's very fresh.)

I dug out my old license and it works with the technical review copy of SAI 2. I've been playing with the program.

Now here's the discovery which came up while I was exploring...

I've noticed that on my Samsung/Wacom EMR digitizer, there is a tiny bit of jitter that I hadn't seen before but probably should have. I'd just assumed it was due to my imperfect hand steadiness, but if you fix the pen in one spot, you can see that it is definitely there.

That is, when I hold the stylus perfectly still, the cursor will jitter around every second or so by about one pixel's worth of distance from the central point beneath the pen nib. It's a very minor effect and I honestly hadn't noticed it until now, not directly anyway, but rather when I was doing super-tight detail work in CSP where I put it down to something weird in the driver. It's not the driver. It's hardware. Not cool! This is not supposed to be happening with the Great and Powerful Wacom EMR system. But there it is. It can be observed on all levels of the OS.

Now here's the thing...

The Windows Ink driver doesn't work to correct this micro-jitter, which is why I was unable to draw a reliably clean line when working in very tight areas. WinTab, however, does correct for it, disregarding micro-changes in the X,Y coordinates and maintaining a stable cursor. -Which is great, as it allows for super clean line work in tight areas. However, as I have mentioned in other posts, WinTab and CSP don't play well together; at large sizes and fast brush strokes, CSP exhibits an annoying delay, which results in 'dents' when drawing long curved lines. Windows Ink doesn't do this, but does jitter at the micro-level. Between WinTab and Windows Ink, you can get a properly working stylus, but it means switching between the two depending on your needs. That's what we call in the art biz, "Annoying."

But Paint Tool SAI works flawlessly with the WinTab driver! -On both ends of the scale. That's awesome!

On the down side.., SAI isn't fully integrated yet with finger touch. It understands the pinch-to-zoom idea, but not rotate and not even scrolling. If you drag your finger across the canvas, it registers as a line input. So that's definitely an area which could use some improvement.

SAI is also still locked to a full colour paradigm. There is no such thing as a black & white canvas; your file is full colour or nothing. SAI's author, Koji Komatsu, informed his users long ago that he had chosen this because of certain inherent efficiency benefits. -And, boy, you could sure see them! No other software at the time was even close to being as smooth and responsive as SAI. But times have changed. -Both in terms of CPU powers available to users which make such efficiencies less critical, but also for guys like me, where RAM limits are no longer a real concern. -I am now working on a system with 16Gb of memory! That's huge compared to when I was first trying to get work done with SAI on only 2Gb of ram. So the full-colour only thing isn't really a problem in either sense, -though having the ability to work on black & white canvases would cut out a few steps for me in post production.

Other things about SAI...

SAI can save in it's own native format, or in a variety of others, including fully layered Photoshop .psd documents. (Though, you lose any specific text or vector file information in the process; it's all converted to raster upon saving.) But it can't open or create .tif documents. For me that's a pain, since .tif is my default on everything. I have thousands of .tif files.

But one of the things I really like about SAI is Koji's particular style of GUI design thinking. It's elegant, minimalist and works really well. -For instance, when using the gradient feature to fill a selected area, SAI instantly creates a real-time preview of what the area will look like. You can drag around the cursor and when the gradations look right, you just release and there it is. This is such an obvious and useful refinement, it amazes me that nobody has thought of it before. SAI is full of little items like that.

There are still areas which need refinement; SAI 2 is still a beta model, but unlike last year, it now resides at a point where I think I can actually use it as a serious production tool.

I'm going to try using it for my next bit of work!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Art_N00b likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

I made a little graphic, (finally) demonstrating the various bugs in the two drivers as seen in ClipStudio Paint on my system...

These effects are apparent on both my Samsung Notebook 9 Pro ~and~ my Dell Canvas 27 on a different computer. Both computers using Window 10, version 1703. It might not happen with more recent Win10 updates, but since those break other things, I've decided to stay with the devil I know rather than risk updating in the hopes that maybe these issues have been addressed. Anyway, this is what things look like:

[​IMG]
    In ClipStudio Paint...
    WinTab -Good for tiny details, but stutters on large strokes.
    Windows Ink - Good for large strokes, but jittery on tiny details.

In SAI 2
    Does a great job with both drivers!

The new version of Paint Tool Sai (64bit) under development is the clear winner wrt to brush engine and jitter control.

I'm really looking forward to Koji Komatsu's release of this software!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  5. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

Fully second these finding. Same here, thought I didn’t experience the wintab driver issue. But it showed up last night and thought “oh so this is what he meant”. I just work completely in photoshop now. The one thing I do miss greatly is the vector eraser. But linearts aren’t the most important thing in my own work or conmissions so I can make do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. wandrinsheep

Just installed the celicious matte screen protector. Completely borked the first one because I didn’t read the instructions, the second attempt went flawlessly. I really love the feel, but the soft nibs feel incompatible as it grips too strongly and I expect the nib to not last long from such use, also it skips on long the surface where fingerprints have previously touched the protector creating unevenness so an art glove is imperative if using the soft nib. I switched to the hard nib and it feels SO GOOD, it has that paper like texture and doesn’t glide too much so I will stick with this combo.

Sergei and Art_N00b like this.
  7. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Does that mean that in this setup you would refrain from using your finger to pan?

8. wandrinsheep

If you’re using the soft nibs then the option of the finger panning is removed as the oils left on the screen causes skidding. I don’t find this to be the case with the hard nib however as I was using it extensively as I regularly do last night and it caused no problem or skidding

Art_N00b likes this.
  9. AlkaliV2

AlkaliV2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to ask you if you minded sharing where you placed the thermal pads when you apply them and how they perform for you? I'd never heard of these pad types until you mentioned them and while I know they work well on VRAM chips I'm curious where you placed them in your laptop. There are several sizes and W/mk versions available, which size/spec did you order?

wandrinsheep likes this.
  10. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

So I'm in Japan right now and the dorm I'm staying at has strong wifi (11n connection)but for some reason the driver keeps restarting 2 seconds after it connects. It rarely stays connected. Is there any fix for this? I don't encounter the problem using my laptop, android tablet and phone.

I've tried reverting the driver and disabling windows being able to power it off in power settings. I've resorted to using usb internet tethering on my phone just to have working wifi.