Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I̶'̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶u̶t̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶h̶u̶r̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶f̶i̶x̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶o̶r̶t̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶u̶l̶a̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶u̶r̶f̶a̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶r̶i̶c̶k̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶M̶i̶c̶r̶o̶s̶o̶f̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶s̶.̶

EDIT: Ignore me, I can't read :p

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I read the recent patch only affected some AMD CPUs. Which reports said they also affected Surfaces?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    thatcomicsguy and DRTigerlilly like this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

You're right! I saw the blurb on twitter and incorrectly extrapolated.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Whoa. Thanks for the heads up!

-It looks like folks with AMD chip sets will have to wait for an updated patch, however, as the current solution causes BSOD issues on certain architectures.

EDIT ***** You guys posted moments ahead of me on this.

5. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure about that. As soon it sniffs an internet connection updates will come rolling in and it will try to grab them. You can probably set the connection to metered, this will prevent automatic updates from kicking in that might work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

@thatcomicsguy @wandrinsheep
    You can disable automatic updates under gpedit.msc and services.msc if you're running Windows 10 Pro

&

7. thatcomicsguy

I've already got the automatic updates service disabled, but I sure wouldn't mind having access to that Specter/Meltdown patch. -Is there any way to selectively install items?

I have the Microsoft Store service turned off as well; can that be run without the update feature also running? (I suppose I can test that myself).

Windows 10 is a friggin' nightmare.

Can Linux run ClipStudio Paint under Wine? I'm getting pretty fed up with Microsoft. Again.

8. thatcomicsguy

Here's how I updated without updating...

I went to this page:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/the-...ectre-vulnerabilities-on-windows-519226.shtml

-At the bottom of the article, they list the various patches relevant to the various versions of Windows 10. Mine is 1703. I went to the page linked:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056891

I downloaded the x64 update. It's about a gig in size. (The smaller one is apparently not meant for my machine):

When that was done, I turned off my internet connection and restarted the Windows Update service (see DRTigerlilly's post above) and double clicked the file. The standalone updater starts and the patch was successfully installed. Yay.

However...

Does anybody worry about this little item: According to early sources, it is claimed that the fix can slow processors down by a whopping 30% in some cases. Has anybody noticed this?

https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...g-it-will-slow-linux-mac-and-windows-systems/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Marty likes this.
  9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is an overblown generalization that has been passed around courtesy of our modern blogosphere.

Consumer workloads have almost zero impact:

10. Sergei

Sergei Digital Artist

The vulnerability exists in the system modern chips use to predict what processing is likely to be needed and carry that out pre-emptively or 'speculatively'. While you can see that being highly useful in a repetitive workload, it presumably has no role in things like pen strokes.