Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]

So I just repasted the cpu using IC DIAMOND and I must say this is now beyond a beast machine. It no longer hits thermal throttle threshold at 94C and not only that I've managed to raise the tdp from 20 to 25 with Temps holding steady at 83C. I must say I shat bricks doing this whole process on my expensive machine but it was worth it. Once I get the fujiploy thermal pads I expect even further performance gains. Once the airflow is not obstructed this machine performs better than most of this generation. Barring the graphics of course. I do not regret this machine in the slightest. I'll report in once again once I've got the first thermal pads in place. Happy holidays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Samsung ever release pen contol software? What is the current tilt support like? Are there replacements for the s-pen with the same ir similar pressure?

WillAdams likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Heck, Samsung doesn't even list this model correctly in their driver support section. Once you get through their confusing model identifier web form, the page it brings up has the correct image of the machine, but calls it the "ATIV Book 9 Pro" and provides the wrong specs. -And exactly zero driver downloads.

This seems to be standard policy for Samsung. They provide machines which work as promised out of the box, and any problems which crop up are dealt with as repair/return issues. There appears to be no latitude for user self-support, and I've not even seen any method to check if my drivers are "Up to date" with on-board updater software. It's all very "Apple". -You're either happily ignorant or simmering with frustration.

I did some detective work and found an updated driver for the GPU on the ATI Radeon website, which I downloaded and used, (and other than a new GUI control panel, noticed no real difference in performance or features).

The Pen driver software is part of Windows, but I've not tried out the new flavor because the "Fall Creator's Update" still leaves Win10 broken for pen users.

I'm hoping for an updated third party WinTab driver to maybe show up sometime, but I'm not holding my breath. -And I strongly doubt that Wacom will ever support the S-Pen with an explicit tablet driver. Because, "Wacom". (I'd love it if a programming genius would hack the agregeous artificial limitations on the standard Wacom tablet driver which refuses to recognize the EMR layer in off-brand machines, but again, that seems unlikely.)

Currently, I'm using the full sized S-Pen, which is actually very nice and comfy, and I switch sometimes between the two pen drivers in Clip Studio Paint depending on my requirements, -which is not ideal, but the problems exist on the micro refinement level which nobody but me seems to even notice. (Wintab is a bit glitchy for big, fast strokes, while Windows Ink has a hard time providing a smooth line when doing super-tight detail work.)

And... that's the state of the Samsung nation.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

It would be interesting if someone could extract the drivers from a working Samsung device and then compare with the Wacom drivers used on OEM's device.

Has this already been ventured? It would also be interesting to compare registry settings...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Does not sound very encouraging. What about the creator updates breaks the pen in W10?

6. wandrinsheep

I've actually realized the same thing with the clip studio paint problem and drivers. Fine microjaggies under the default wintab, I've since downloaded the wintab drivers from Microsoft and don't have anymore problems. In regards to the drivers I find that the Samsung drivers app is very finicky and may " break" causing your device to not be recognized and you would need to manually input you correct model to receive updates. I fixed this by Uninstalling it and reinstalling it through the windows store. I then had to open it and close it a few times and it finally worked properly once more and since then that issue was resolved. As a matter of fact I downloaded a slew of updates last night from New firmware to a bunch of Intel stuff. Manually searching for Samsung drivers will not turn up all the drivers nor will windows update. The only surefire way I've found is through the app so getting it works g correctly is essential.

7. wandrinsheep

I second this idea wholeheartedly. There needs to be some manufacturer supported way of making adjustments to the pen.i have a old surface pro 2 and have fiddled with the wacom registry in that to a great degree so if I hadthe chance to compare I would. But my charger broke and it currently dead

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

Can't select text w/o using a side button for one thing. I can't believe MS allowed folks to make the Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus if they were planning on breaking it so thoroughly.

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is there a way to use the Windows Store without also allowing the OS to automatically install the Creator's Update and do other things I don't want?

wandrinsheep likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You actually may want to grab the security hotfix for the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities, as those are now publicly revealed and pose a huge OS/data security risk down the road if unpatched.

I've updated without having FCU forced upon me, still on build 1703.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018