Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Piratechip

Piratechip Pen Pal - Newbie

@surfaceproartist It's not a mouse pointer lag but when i right click to bring up the menu on the desktop it occasionally hangs for a second.

Also i just did a fresh windows re-install, that seemed to have solved my battery issues somewhat. Seems like Windows defender was the culprit. It was constantly using 12~20% of my cpu processor.

What i did notice is that, when if I use the intel graphics, there is no brush lag. This only happens when I use the AMD graphic card. A little googling and I saw this happens on surface books too, but that's with nvidia.

By any chance could you tell me which AMD drivers you are currently running? and after you installed the new drivers does it list your GFX card as AMD 500 series, or does it list it as AMD 540. I noticed after installing new drivers prior to my fresh reinstall it would list the graphics as the 500 series. Not sure if that's normal.

Again thank you for all the help, it's greatly appreciated!

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Piratechip I've got the 7th generation N9P. The AMD driver is 17.12.1 and it does list the device as a 500 Series.

3. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello there fellow notebook 9 owners. So as it turns out. The bios did not throttle my device on a hardware level. What is actually happening is the intel dynamic platform thermal framework. Now I take no responsibility for anyone’s actions. But if you so wish to squeeze even more out of your device. One may remove these drivers and will have full reign over there tdp and performance once again. If your a novice at pc tinkering then don’t touch it. But it’s there for more advanced users if they wish

EDIT: I find that I’m able to hold 20w tdp at 81C with little problem this gives me 686 in cinebench. Intel have been over aggressive with there throttling by a long shot. Once I repaste and add some thermal pads I expect I’ll be able to hold 25tdp at these same temps which give me around 706 in cinebench.

EDIT: temperatures hold at 88c in drawing mode. Will update results when I install the thermal pads and resonate the gpu and CPU. Here’s a screenshot of the before and after in cinebench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. wandrinsheep

Can anyone verify a problem I am having. I ordered a Samsung evo select (128gb) which is a uhs 3 as card. With read of 100mbits and 90mbits write. But the speeds when placed in Samsung don’t pass 26 megs in crystaldisk. Is this driver problem or just a shoddy sd card used in these models? My pro 2 was able to hold much higher speeds with the same card

EDIT: was able to answer my own question. Posting here if anyone is also interested in knowing. The problem is that Samsung is using a USB 2.0 card reader in this device which bottlenecks the speed. Truly disappointing as I use the SD as a secondary drive and do alot of read/writes to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking in that direction myself. -Though, while impressive from an engineering standpoint, I never liked the idea of such teeny little cards being so important; they seem very likely to get lost and ejecting them is a hassle.

Looks like I'll stay with USB sticks which can fit into the 3.0 ports. -Though they are less convenient with their whole sticking out like big "Break-Me-Off" handles. I tend to plug in for a save and then put it in my pocket again multiple times. Not really the best solution.

wandrinsheep likes this.
  6. wandrinsheep

I find that once they are placed in. They never need to be removed. In essence I do not treat it as a removable media. Just set and forgot; I’ve had my 64 evo for a year and a half and never had a problem but it was a concern that I’d lose it.

7. wandrinsheep

Coming from a surface pro 2 I had to utilize the 100 point calibration sometimes even using the 360-odd point calibration to get it half decent. I find that the notebook 9 had small variations at differing parts of the screen( very minimal, literally less than a millimeter), it's Barely noticeable but I noticed. The basic calibration tool does not correct for this as it is only edge calibration. For those unfamiliar you may use increased grid counts to calibrate the entirety of the screen. I just ran the 100 point tabcal calibration tool and now there is no variance in my drawing area at all. Attaches is a grid test where I attempt to go the each intersection, not trying to account for any offset, simply drawing as naturally as I could and the results are great.

There is no stabilization on the brush and any wavyness is a result of my own in competencies

Give it a try if you want even more fine tuned accuracy.

[​IMG]

Tams, Art_N00b and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Nice! I've been meaning to do this on my Galaxy Book, but I need to figure out the points first and... I don't feel like doing it yet. :p

Although I'm not sure how much it'll help, since I'm not using the s-pen and thus suffer from angle offset.

9. wandrinsheep

Hey there, in regards to figuring out the points, i don't think you have to go through the trouble of creating a custom grid yourself. I just grabbed one off reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/18cd96/improved_pen_accuracy_with_a_100_point/
    it generated the correct grid for my display. I think this gives many advantages no matter the stylus you use, with very little disadvantages. if you don't like the calibration its easy to reset it but the accuracy gains are worth it. hope you give it a whirl when you have time

thatcomicsguy and Selofain like this.
  10. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Oh, nice! I should have figured that the internet already had something.