Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

The tdp is unlocked on the this model. I simply undervolted by -.100 then raised the tdp to 25 watts. This is my dream machine now. The benchmarks fluctuates between 670-720 I can get it to maintain the high clocks if I raise it slightly. I will most likely repaste cpu to get the thermals down. But right now I'm giddy with joy. I won't be keeping it with constant high clocks but when I'm rendering I will all east have access to it. Very happy and can't wait to really get into this machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@wandrinsheep Would you mind running the 3DMark benchmarks on your Notebook? I'm getting very erratic results. The two Ice Storm scores are about double the Surface Book 2 and 4X the HP Spectre X360. But the others are way lower than either machine. Time Spy result is 10% of the Book 2.

3. wandrinsheep

Hey there. Yea no problem. I ran the time spy with the tweaked setting. It came out to 1042. Fire strike came out to 1361 and ice storm gave 86260. I do not have a Frame of reference in comparison to the devices you mentioned, could you tell me how my device performs in comparison to the ones you mentioned and what you think of the results. The temperatures do run hot with 25 watts though going up to 94 C at which point thermal throttling will hold it there. All cores run at about 3.2ghz then down clock to an average 3.05Ghz. I'll keep adjusting stuff but haven't the time yet. Within a day or 2 then I can really get into fine tuning performance.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that maybe the reason your seeing vastly different results is because some of the machines have mentioned have much more powerful graphics cards than what is present in the notebook 9 pro. I am OK with this however as I do not game, except for league of legends.

EDIT. EDIT please ignore these test results for now. In my sleepy and tired state I tested the wrong Firestrike. It was Firestrike extreme instead of Firestrike

FINAL EDIT: here are the correct benchmark values.
    Timespy:unchanged
    Firestrike : 2566
    Ice storm: unchanged

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  4. surfaceproartist

Fascinating. That's so much better than what I'm seeing on the N9P 7th generation.

Ice Storm 68437
    Ice Storm Extreme 47932
    Cloud Gate 6897
    Sky Diver 4217
    Fire Strke 1043
    Time Spy 413

I thought the Radeon 540 was unchanged between the two generations.

Anyway, for perspective, these Ice Storm results blow away the Surface Book 2 and HP Spectre x360, which only manage 27069-27176 and 11857-12066 respectively.

However, the Surface Book 2 scores 8078 on Fire Strike and 3199 on Time Spy.

So that's why I asked my original question: what is it about the Ice Storm benchmark that so favors the Radeon GPU when all the other benchmarks show the NVidia GPU on top?

5. surfaceproartist

I found the Performance setting in the AMD driver control panel.

Time Spy leapt up to 914.
    Fire Strike is 2707.
    Sky Diver 9021
    Cloud Gate 10322
    Ice Storm Extreme 74386
    Ice Storm 75989

6. wandrinsheep

Oh awesome I actually just found this setting thanks to you. My score didn't move much giving me 1033 in performance mode. ( My second run was 945 and the first was 1045) There's a lot of thermal headroom for gaming though so I will push the graphics card a bit and report back

7. wandrinsheep

A word of forewarning for those who purchase this device. I performed the updated specified in the Samsung update app. After which I've met with a few problem. The tdp seems to now be locked to 15 watts irregardless of what I set. And the Samsung update app isn't connecting. Does anyone know how to address the Samsung update app problem?

8. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the warning @wandrinsheep. My machine is humming along great, but I stopped getting the Samsung updates shortly after I got the machine. I also recommend people not get the Samsung updates if their system is working well.

9. wandrinsheep

I’m glad I can help. The Samsung updates started working again. But I’m still tdp Locked. The highest I get on cinebench now is 602, averaging around 585. But I’m not gonna complain. The unlocked tdp was just sugar on top. Just a bit salty my sugar got taken away.

10. wandrinsheep

did a quick line test. must say this is the best drawing experience I've ever had and now I wait upon my staedtler noris digital pencil. its also a little annoying to have to kill samsung pen service every time the computer wakes up so that i can reassign the button but thats only a minor inconvenience. i have to retrain myself coming from a surface pro 2 where i altered how i drew to make up for the suboptimal experience. its like night and day between these 2. based this off a young lady's pic i saw on instagram

Attached Files:

Sergei, dellaster and WillAdams like this.