Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No problem! So I take it you've got the piggybank funds earmarked for the Notebook 9? :)

Sigh, now I'm caught in a conundrum since the N9P came it at so much cheaper than expected, and the GB12 came out pricier in CAD than expected.

I don't really want replace my Z Canvas totally (and I'm loathe to go back to 16:9), but I'm just itching to get a new EMR tablet. What should I do?! :p

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So.., this new Samsung is supposedly going to start appearing in retail outlets on Monday.

And btw... dang, but this month is going by fast! Summer just arrived, but June is rapidly reaching the end? Already? Please slow down and hang around a while..!

JoeS, Sergei and Bronsky like this.
  3. harrodeleted

harrodeleted Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm surprised more people aren't jumping on this? It seems basically ideal in every way, even the cost. The only thing you can knock is the 1080p display, but even that gives its own advantages (battery life, perfect scaling, higher fps in games)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    thatcomicsguy, JoeS and JMac like this.
  4. JMac

JMac Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree. Early reviews are positive, except for the speakers. Plus, Best Buy is offering $150 off w/trade-in of a working laptop ($75 coupon for N9P and a minimum of a $75 BB gift card). Both the 13" ($1100) and 15" ($1300)models using the newer Samsung 960 EVO SSD which has fantastic benchmarks. Wacom EMR in a convertible package is very appealing. It's at least worth checking out.

thatcomicsguy and harrodeleted like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So the weights are 2.9lbs and 3.8lbs for the 13" and 15" models. That's decent compared to the 3.5lbs of a TPYoga 12 (12.5"), and similar to the 3.1 lbs 14" 2nd gen x1 yoga.

JMac likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

Humph.

It's using Pulse Width Modulation for brightness control.

You can see it in this video review in a couple of spots. -There's a good example at the 2:32 mark...

Too bad.

If you can use it at full brightness without burning your retinas then this looks like a great machine. I'd want to try before I buy, though.

Also, there's not enough bezel Left and Right to make for an ideal drawing surface, though on a wide screen format like this, I suspect it won't present a real issue since 1080p at 15.6" provides enough screen space on the sides to waste without it really impacting performance.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  7. Marty

I quite sure that's not PWM, but actually screen flicker caused by mismatched camera frame rate to screen refresh rate (which in some recording setups may still affect LCDs)

PWM flicker happens at usually at 200Hz to several KHz; at those frequencies, you would not be able to capture the strobing effect with a typical 30-60 fps camera. (Although, it is possible though unlikely, that the N9P it is using a low 50Hz PWM frequency.)

Here's video of what >150Hz PWM flicker looks like on a 240Hz camera:

So I think you can still have hope until Notebookcheck publishes it's review... ;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

appears to have launched on Best Buy website in the states now. Its difficult to find any actual reviews on this thing. Would have expected a few more review units sent out by now...

9. thatcomicsguy

Sigh. It would be nice if you were right, but I'm afraid that's definitely PWM. The article you linked to says as much:

"LCDs (including LED-backlit LCD monitors) don't have the same banding problems as CRTs, because they create images in an entirely different way. There’s a constant source of backlight behind the screen, and the entire image doesn’t have to be “redrawn,” line by line, at a cyclical rate.However, you may still see a bit of flicker when an LCD monitor is recorded on video. Much of this has to do with the pulse width modulation used to regulate the brightness of many LED-backlit displays. Pulse width modulation is essentially like flicking a power switch on and off at a very fast rate: It pulses the amount of power supplied to the backlight system based on the selected brightness level. Even though it’s rarely visible to the naked eye, some people report getting headaches from it."

But still...

If full brightness isn't too bright, then it might not be a killer issue. I'd just need to use it with the ambient house lights up all the way and not in dim cave-dweller conditions. Our eyes can handle bright things, after all. Hmm. I don't know. I like working in soft lighting conditions at night, but it all comes down to how many candles are coming off that screen...

I guess I'm just (wait for it...) nit-picking.

Har har!

10. Marty

If it makes you feel better, even incandescent light bulbs flicker subtly at about ~120HZ:

If you aren't ever bothered by light bulbs, there's a good chance you won't even notice PWM.

200Hz and higher is the typical PWM rate these days, meaning either those shots showing flicker in the review video were shot at an unusually fast shutter speed, or there was some optical trickery going on with the scan rates of the screen vs camera.

I am still holding out hope for the latter...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017