Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If I have to leave the machine not connected to the charger for a full night I too usually just turn it off.
    I remember I just wanted to see how much charge it loses so I left it sleeping for around 12 hours and the Galaxy Book lost 10% of the battery. Which honestly is fine for me considering it wakes up instantly. I could have gotten a better result allowing it to hybernate after some time though. :)

2. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

yes avoid these
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748FYVDK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758824RP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this is the one that im using and will continue to use until i can find one that is higher watts that actually works, the only real benefit would be faster charging.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FUDZHT0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shizaru and WillAdams like this.
  3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

It doesn't look like @thatcomicsguy received his parcel today? I imagine the site hosting the tracking data took a hammering to day as he pounded away on the F5 key from dawn till dusk.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As a matter of fact...

Cortana just finished breezing through my life with her charming tour guide voice. I wonder how many young teen crushes develop as a result of her soothing tones?

Now, (sorry missus), I'm on the "Turn Everything I Don't Want Off" warpath.

A few notes before I vanish for the next hour or two...

$183 extra Canadian Dollars of import duties on this box. Pft. -Which the postal worker told me were actually contestable since this computer isn't available in Canada. But whatever. You gotta pick your fights and the Canadian tax system ain't one of them. I just hope the money goes to a needy political slush fund somewhere. Psh.

-Wow! What a gorgeous machine!

-I brought it back after a race into town, (the delivery guy left one of those notes at my door while I was out), and the bike ride was sweaty and fast, but rather than rip open the packaging, I took the time to clean my apartment up, take a shower and collect myself.

Then I sat and stated aloud my intentions to use this new tool for the highest good in service to the Cosmic Creative Principle and not use it to screw around and waste time.

Yes. Really. These things make a difference I think.

Then I opened it up and.., well now I'm on-line looking for what files and programs I need to turn off/on and collect and all that stuff.

Basically.., good times!

I'll report back in a bit.

Cheers, all!

5. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I have never had the misfortune to hear Cortana first hand as one of the first things I do is minimise her presence.

Hell I hope you weren't connected to the internet when you powered your new beast up for the first time!? If you read this before connecting to a network don't do it! There are housekeeping issues to attend to first that will save you some time, bandwidth and sanity.

Make sure you go through all the Win10 privacy stuff first and then go into the scheduled tasks and disable all the customer experience (identity theft) tasks and any others that look nefarious or unnecessary to you.

Install Anti-Beacon https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/ to limit interaction with M$ call home garbage and personal metadata leakage. EDIT: That's not a recomendation but it's a nice quick way to get up and running while mitigating much of the behind the scenes reporting Windows gets up to. There are lots of other tools many of which allow more granular control.

Eset security is pretty good if you set the firewall to interactive and monitor what traffic is trying to enter and leave your machine. It requires some thought though and can be annoying at times especially if you temp allow/disallow some activities per session. I tend to do that a lot with anything update related and then allowing the traffic on my terms.

If you haven't connected to the internet you will see loads of Icons for garbage apps etc. they are only pointers to files on the M$ servers and not installed at this stage so you can right click and uninstall all the ones you don't want. That will save you bandwidth and prevent any nonsense getting written to your disk and registry. It will also help your sanity because some of that junk is a pain to remove once it latches on to your machine, in fact it doesn't want to give you an option to remove some of that stuff once its taken root. Whatever you do do not remove the store app because that could be something you regret down the line.

Other than that it's best to follow one of the guides similar to the one I linked to earlier in this thread just to make sure you cover your bases.

You can try running https://www.pcdecrapifier.com/ although it probably wont find much and you may want to try out some of the Samsung bloat?

You may find https://ninite.com/ useful to install a bunch of useful programs in one pass such as 7zip and Firefox etc. It's handy for a quick hassle free start.

Good to hear your N9P arrived safely, and the TAX situation is a bummer...I'm sure some 'bureaucrats' will dine well on your contribution. Oh, and your initial response seems far too constrained after the build up are you feeling alright?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    thatcomicsguy and Art_N00b like this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

May I suggest a complete setup guide for paranoiacs (I include myself) and have it glued in the Windows 10 forum?

Shizaru likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

Okay! Win10 setup is outta the way. -Faster this time around, having been through it once before.

Then I spent the last couple of hours putting all my files on the thing, setting up CSP and transferring licenses, -along with a bunch of other basic software chores... (Oh, yes, with all internet activity off.)

Getting the pen to work properly... (Done!)

Now I just want to stretch and hit the sack for a few hours, but...

I've got a couple of comic pages which I wanted posted like, two days ago.

BUT don't mistake my response for a lack of enthusiasm. My initial reaction is this...

Damn, this is a light and elegant machine!

Wow, that stylus (full sized S Pen) is basically perfect. I'm using it without even thinking about it. That's a very good transition.

There's a few weird hiccups in CSP, (like the hold-button-to-resize-brush function has a bug or two which I'm hoping to clear up later. -You can only hover-resize while holding the button on the first instance. After you draw with it, it will only resize while the nib is in contact with the glass, but not while hovering. Strange.)

Also, setting up CSP so that it looks right is always a giant headache. Their GUI settings are cryptic and I've forgotten how I achieved a happy place.., like a year ago.

But whatever!

I sort of feel weird about how light it is; I'm turning it over in my hands and looking at its barely-there form factor, (as compared to my old Tecra), and I'm thinking, "Gosh. I bought a car once which cost less than this thing. I have books the same size which weigh more. I clearly need to reprogram my haptic value senses!"

Tomorrow, I'm going to head into the wilds of cafe land and try doing some work on it!

That's the acid test.

-Oh, also, I did find the power button too easy to accidentally press, (I did it once), and so I deactivated it. It's now just a little nub which fidget clicks.

-And it seems Microsoft listened to their user base; there's no edge swipe for the "Action Center"! Wow! That's a HUGE improvement. Nice jorb!

Okay.

Actual work needs to happen now on my desktop Cintiq.

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Shizaru likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Wait, what?!? o_O

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From my experience, this charge was rather high...you should be able to get this significantly reduced at to your nearest CBSA office.

Show them the receipt for your purchase and the charge should reduced to ~$50 thereabouts.

Try to choose an off-day to avoid wasting time...the air in office was so dreary that I swear half the people (both border agents and people waiting) were half asleep.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

There is no nearest CBSA office in my region. Just getting to one wouldn't be worth my money or time or spiritual fatigue. One must pick one's fights. I don't have anywhere nearly enough outrage to motivate me on this one. I'll save that for another time -and charge interest.