Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For newer devices, there are still some good eBay finds if you don't mind being a year late.

Here's one in that category...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/352027748589?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

(Though, looking at this again.., "Touchscreen not working")

But that's the great thing about eBay. They tell you such details up front without shame.

If I were in the right financial situation, then I'd pay top dollar for a unicorn. That Samsung 15.6" pro 9, if the reviews go well, fits that bill!

EDIT*******

Here's another one, but you'd have to ask the seller if the screen is FHD or UHD...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspir...184485?hash=item3d3bacc925:g:BQcAAOSwZKBZH3cs

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey thatcomicsguy, I haven't been following things here of late, so please forgive me, but you ditched the Dell 7568? What do you use now, if I may pry? I still have my 7568 and it is working fine, although the pen digitzer experience is no Wacom. It still works for annotating and notes. The pen goes inactive often which requires niggling the battery compartment cover but everything works otherwise.

Druid and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

I cracked the screen on mine doing something stupid, and I pulled out my old Tecra M4 to work on in the interim before replacing it. -And discovered in going back that I really appreciate the reliable and non-intrusive OS experience of Win 7. Also, returning to EMR allowed me to let go of a bunch of frustrations I'd been storing up without fully realizing it. It was like being able to get a full breath again! So I just decided to stick with my old gear until something new came along.

I've got my eye on these new Samsung machines, for sure!

The Dell remains a fairly solid computer; I like the build quality and the touch screen and the (comparatively) long battery life and the instant on features, etc. 15.6" of FHD 1080p is a great size to work on; lots of room for control pallets. All in all, it was a good step forward, but having spent six months on it working with AES, I've learned enough to know that for my drawing style, EMR is really something I want to hold out for when considering a future investment.

4. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah! I know exactly what you mean! I can imagine the AES being frustrating for you. I'm sorry about your Dell, though. I guess you'll let us know what you end up with. :)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

The thing is with AES device, the touch screen component is much more vulnerable than EMR digitizer. That Ebay Dell for example, since touch screen not working-> pen will not work for sure. I don't like much the idea of pen and touch sharing the same panel, because touch panel is originally designed for fat finger that allow for much higher margin of error than the finesse of an EMR panel. Unless you are apple or MS who ordered their own custom build touch panel, I believe many OEM still order standard touch panel and pair AES chip with it to cut cost, hence the hit or miss experience on Elan AES. Even if the touch panel is described as working, with pen it could still be jumpy 3-4 mm around the pen tip, which might not be detectable by finger. Touch screen is also the most common defect when I see people selling on Ebay or our Craigslist equivalent. It just doesn't feel like it will last long.

EMR tablet on the other hand has digitizer panel safety seated under the display. It might be risky if the seller have no pen to test, but most of the device I tried have working EMR panel and I saw many people had luck buying old EMR device. It's a great news that Samsung is making a big laptop with EMR in this age when it's going nearly extinct.

6. thatcomicsguy

This is a very salient point.

The damage to my touch screen on the Dell is hard to see; the cracks are there, but the LCD itself is fine. A simple screen protector would leave it perfectly usable as an art machine -if it used EMR. As it stands, it's completely useless. A screen replacement is around a $200 purchase. Lame.

7. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  8. thatcomicsguy

Samsung's newspage says they'll start taking pre-orders on June 11th, (tomorrow!) with the device appearing at the retail level on the 26th.

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung...n-june-11-with-in-store-availability-june-26/

Prices at $1,099 for the 13" and $1,299 for the 15".

Things are moving!

WillAdams and Marty like this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

Hey, here's a question for folks which I doubt anybody will have a quick answer to, but might as well put out there anyway...

From the Samsung info page...

"It offers a premium viewing experience with a Full-HD touch screen equipped with RealView Display, showing images at 350 nits in normal mode, and 450 nits in outdoor mode, for extreme clarity even under direct sunlight."

How does this work, exactly? Are they using one of those seizure-inducing LED high Hz flicker modulation schemes for their "Indoor" 350 brightness setting? Or is it something more sane, like simply switching between two different base voltages for the screen?

Too bright is too bright. Is the 450 nit level eye-burning for use in a soft-lit room? Heck, is 350 too bright? Because no way am I going to be staring at a flickering light source for hours on end!

(Did a little searching. Apparently, my previous Dell 7568 had a 300 nit screen, and that was just a hair shy of too bright.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to know before hand if a display will use PWM to modulate brightness.

This article from notebookcheck says:

"59 % of all tested devices do not use PWM to dim the display. If PWM was detected, an average of 2292 (minimum: 43 - maximum: 142900) Hz was measured."

So your chances are roughly 60% of having a flicker-free display. Additionally from this table from 2015, it appears that larger 1080p displays have a higher chance of being non-PWM than their higher resolution counterparts.

Again, nothing certain, but this bodes well for the 1080p display in the Notebook 9. :)